Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)

Stock HH Expedition fly coverage question.

Well, last night we finally got some rain (a lot of rain!)

Anyway, as soon as I saw the storm brewing I headed out to the back yard and hung my hammock. Currently I'm using my GTUL with a stock HH fly and I found that some water was able to blow in from the sides. I wasn't fully hunkered down, so that may have helped, but my concern was: If I had my UQ in place, I'm afraid it would have been soaked. Do I just need a bigger fly?

On a side note...I was pretty damp when I crawled in my Wiggy's, but I was toasty warm, and by morning I was dry as a bone.

Hammock
    Hennessy (with mods)
    Tarp
    standard HH
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    standard (for now)
    I did the same thing after I got my HH. As soon a a good storm was forcasted, I set it up and slept out. I too got a splash or two in the face from wind blown rain. The next time I tried it, I pulled the tarp down a bit more and that took care of the problem. I also think that if I had set up in the woods I would not have had as much of an issue since the trees tend to cut the wind some what.

Dave

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would give it a try pulled down tight before making the investment in another tarp, but ymmv
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Fully pulled down I spent the night on top of brawley mountain (I believe that was the mountain anyway) in north ga. We had 20 mph winds and a lot of rain. I had the hh asymmetric tarp and ultralight backpacker hammock. Underneath was my pheonix quilt. Not a single drop even with the shifting wind.

The dog however got soaked :-(

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Thanks for the advise. Had another opportunity to give it a good testing and didn't get wet. I think the trees did help as a wind block. I will continue to test.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I did the same thing after I got my HH. As soon a a good storm was forcasted, I set it up and slept out. I too got a splash or two in the face from wind blown rain. The next time I tried it, I pulled the tarp down a bit more and that took care of the problem. I also think that if I had set up in the woods I would not have had as much of an issue since the trees tend to cut the wind some what.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by warloc4326 View Post
    Fully pulled down I spent the night on top of brawley mountain (I believe that was the mountain anyway) in north ga. We had 20 mph winds and a lot of rain. I had the hh asymmetric tarp and ultralight backpacker hammock. Underneath was my pheonix quilt. Not a single drop even with the shifting wind.

The dog however got soaked :-(
    How are you guys attaching the tarp- to the HH hammock Prussic hooks or to the trees?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Thanks for the advise. Had another opportunity to give it a good testing and didn't get wet. I think the trees did help as a wind block. I will continue to test.
    Good to hear. No doubt the trees can give a good bit of extra protection. Are you attaching to the hammock Prussic hooks or to the trees? Pros and cons either way. I always found the pitch to be much tighter attached to the trees. But coverage a good bit better attached to the Prussics, at the cost of a loose, flapping noisy tarp once you get in and everything sags. There are several tricks to minimize this loose tarp, but not to the point of matching the tight tarp you get when attached to the trees.

EDIT: I see you are using a GT hammock, so I guess you are attached to the trees. You want to be as close to the tarps RL as possible. Of course once in the hammock you are going to sag away from the tarp. Experiment with attaching the hammock straps higher on the tree than the tarp cords. And try to start out as close to the tarp ( before getting in) as reasonably possible.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    I'm actually using a SRL setup. I cinched down a bit of the length on the tarp to get the hammock up real close. I'll do a quick vid so you have some idea what I'm talking about. I'm really liking the way it's set up now. Before I cinched up the ends I was hanging way too far from the tarp, now I'm just about as close as I can get. (I'll post the vid in a bit.)

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    here you go. Suggestions are welcome.

If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts