Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

JRB 11' x 10' Cat Tarp Review

When I hike alone, my smaller tarps (JRB 8x8 and MacCat Standard) give me plenty of coverage. But when I hike with my kids I like to hang on the same trees under the same tarp...and now that they've grown into full-size hammocks we don't both fit under those tarps. On the Jones Gap trip I overlapped the JRB 8x8 with the MacCat and it worked well, but it was a hassle to set it up that way...so I decided to get a bigger tarp. JRB sent me their new 11' x 10' Cat Tarp to test...just in time!

http://www.tothewoods.net/GearTestJRBCatTarp.html

This is another one of those projects I would have made for myself if I didn't have time, but my job and the family keep me pretty busy. Well, that and posting on HF and working on the website...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH ultralite explorer
    Tarp
    HH hex tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    thanks for the review, i've been looking into getting a new tarp (i currently use the HH Hex tarp). i like the 11x10's weight and options. hopefully i'll get some extra change to purchase one! i just got their Mt. Washington UQ, so it might be some time until i do

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Jeff,

You mentioned in your review using McNett's silicone and the included brush to seam seal the tarp. You should look over the thread discussing the Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant. It's fantastic stuff. It doesn't have a strong odor like silicone caulk or Mcnett's, when it dries it's not tacky like other sealers (no need to apply talcum powder), and the because it's "flowable" it makes it's way into the thread holes and all the nooks and crannies. It's also pretty easy to apply right out of the tube it comes in. Great stuff. I'll never use anything else.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 11-15-2008 at 13:32.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like some good stuff, HC4U. I already had the McNett's on hand (and still have an extra unopened tube) but my next purchase will probably be flowable. Thanks for the heads up.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Jeff,

You mentioned in your review using McNett's silicone and the included brush to seam seal the tarp. You should look over the thread discussing the Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant. It's fantastic stuff. It doesn't have a strong odor like silicone caulk or Mcnett's, when it dries it's not tacky like other sealers (no need to apply talcum powder), and the because it's "flowable" it makes it's way into the thread hole and all the nooks and crannies. It's also pretty easy to apply right out of the tube it comes in. Great stuff. I'll never use anything else.
    I have sealed 2 JRBs with that, and I also like it a lot. In addition, It does not cause problems when I get it on my hands like some other stuff I have used does. In fact, I use my fingers to rub it in and under the seam. So far, after many months, the seal has been bomb proof.

• + New Posts