DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Consumer Union and others have found this as long lasting and effective as DEET. -- 8 hours. I am looking at a new 3.5 ounce bottle of it, brand named "Natrapel", put out by the Tender Corporation in New Hampshire. Cost at Rite Aid chain drugstore in NJ was $3.50, with $2.50 of sale / voucher value, ended in July. Not odorless, but about the fragrance of an innocuous womens armpit deodorant from 10 meters.

Only big caution on picaridin / icaridin is to keep it away from the eyes, as it can irritate.

This surprised me for its neutrality in discussing alternatives:. http://www.picaridin.info/, including distinctly herbaceous oil of lemon eucalyptus.
    Lemon eucalyptus doesn't work very well unless you drench yourself in it. Then you smell like a eucalyptus tree and every part of your skin that comes in contact with it starts tingling with a numbing sensation.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    It's in the camping or outdoors section at Meijer. I'd imagine the same area at Walmart.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
    Lemon eucalyptus doesn't work very well unless you drench yourself in it. Then you smell like a eucalyptus tree and every part of your skin that comes in contact with it starts tingling with a numbing sensation.
    +1 I used that on a recent Colorado trip, my brother used something else(not DEET, but some other "natural") I was still getting attacked, he wasn't. I used a normal application of it, after the first day we shared his.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Thanks for the heads up on where to locate permethrin .

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    3M first came out with the Permethrin treatment systems for camping! Their stuff seems to last longer than the Sawyer brand. It is good as well but not as effective or long lasting! Back Country Ski and Sports carries the 3M brand as well as Gander mtn sports.
    I hope this helps!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I was using Sawyer brand during my three month intern for the N.P.S.and I didn't smell a thing. however my nose does stink...

I did, however use Coleman in the beginning of the intern and that had a slight odor to it.

I also used Lemon eucalyptus, which may be the au naturale product you are speaking of. Worked really well actually, I was impressed. But those fields I knew were going to be very ticky I used the permetherin.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I'm not new to all this stuff but sometimes its easier and cheaper just to ask the masses. Thanks everyone

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Consumer Union and others have found this as long lasting and effective as DEET. -- 8 hours. I am looking at a new 3.5 ounce bottle of it, brand named "Natrapel", put out by the Tender Corporation in New Hampshire. Cost at Rite Aid chain drugstore in NJ was $3.50, with $2.50 of sale / voucher value, ended in July. Not odorless, but about the fragrance of an innocuous womens armpit deodorant from 10 meters.

Only big caution on picaridin / icaridin is to keep it away from the eyes, as it can irritate.

This surprised me for its neutrality in discussing alternatives:. http://www.picaridin.info/, including distinctly herbaceous oil of lemon eucalyptus.
    +1. The Picaridin (I've used two different brands now, one of them being the Natrapel and the other being Sportsmen Gear Smart) smells a little sweet once it's on your skin, but isn't annoyingly chemical like DEET and burning insulation are.

The Sawyer's Permethrin spray (not used their soak kits, nor any other brand) has a definite odor while being applied and a very slight odor once it's dry. I don't notice the odor once it's dry unless I bring the fabric right up to my nose--on the other hand, I spent the first eighteen years of my life living with two-pack-a-day smokers and have virtually no sense of smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tattoo View Post
    What department in Walmart is permethrin found?
    It's in the cleaning chemicals in the one on 13th Street here in Gainesville and in the camping department in the Super Wal Mart on Waldo Road. So, it may vary from store to store.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    It is not hard to find a few detailed testing protocols without paying for the peer-reviewed articles. The testing of these for effectiveness is so well advanced, the available articles you find, if lab based, will include resistance to more than one kind of mozzie. And they are not all alike, which could account for variation in satisfaction. IIRC Deet survives, in part, because it broad-spectrum.

As this thread is on permethrin, I'll continue to annoy in pointing out that in one field test for durability when exposed to sunlight, permethrin had a very short-life in fabric compared to some of the other 'thrins, including deltamethrin, which is widely available. Days instead of weeks before effectiveness faded markedly.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    my brother used something else(not DEET, but some other "natural") I was still getting attacked, he wasn't. I used a normal application of it, after the first day we shared his.
    Do you know the name of the stuff y'all used? I'm all about natural if I can AND it works.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    I just bought a bottle of Sawyer Brand Permethrin yesterday in our local Wally World. It was in the camping section along with all the other types and brands of insect repellent. It is in a yellow cardboard box with black lettering. Hope this helps.

It cost $9.88 for 12 ounces. I just checked the REI website and they list a 24 ounce bottle for $16. So much for WW bargains!
    Last edited by waddy; 08-17-2012 at 07:52. Reason: To post prices
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast