Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images

Duncan Ridge Trail in Georgia

I'm going to the DRT next week. First off...anyone interested in going? Next, has anyone here done the section around Blood Mtn.? I was wondering if it was possible to do the DRT and combine it with the AT, but without doing the whole 60+ mile loop. I don't have enough time off to do the complete loop, but I would like to not have to backtrack over the same trail I just crossed the day before. Any suggestions?
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

I haven't hiked the DRT yet but that is on my to-do list. Someone at WB suggested parking at Goose Creek Cabins. This is a campground about 3mi north of Neel Gap. The campground fee is $17 and the owner will shuttle you back up the road to Neel Gap for free. I understand there is a bath house their so you can get cleaned up before you hit the road home. This would mean you'd walk the AT section from Neel Gap, over Blood Mountain, and down to Slaughter Gap where the DRT heads north away from the AT. If you don't have the five or so days to do that hike you could just do the Coosa Backcountry Trail, this trail shares the treadway with the DRT for several miles and loops back on itself.

What is your planned time frame? I might be able to fit it in my schedule.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Leave Monday, Oct 6, and come home Thursday-ish. I could go till Friday if need be. I would like to do the whole loop, but I don't want to get in a situation where I'm pushed for time if I want to slow down. I'm also going to burn half of Monday 'cause its a five hour drive where I'm at to Neels Gap.

I would like the company, plus it would give me the chance to hang with another hammocker (my friends are pre-enlightened ground-dwellers).
    - Yoda

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    I'm going to the DRT next week. First off...anyone interested in going? Next, has anyone here done the section around Blood Mtn.? I was wondering if it was possible to do the DRT and combine it with the AT, but without doing the whole 60+ mile loop. I don't have enough time off to do the complete loop, but I would like to not have to backtrack over the same trail I just crossed the day before. Any suggestions?
    The Freeman Trail is a foul weather bypass for Blood Mountain, about 2 to 3 miles long. The DRT skirts Slaughter Gap (it use to end there) and ends on the southern slope of Blood Mountain on the AT. Since the DRT ends in the middle of the forest, you have to hike out on one of several trails which can take you to Neels Gap, Vogel SP, Reese Memorial Parking lot, or Winfield Scott SP. It is another 3 or 4 miles to get out of the forest.

I don't know of a shorter loop. GA60 dissects the loop but it is a pretty good ways, to long to walk and I don't think you could depend on a hitch. You could set up a shuttle. From Three Forks, the southern terminus of the DRT, you hit GA60 about 18 miles in on the DRT and 20 miles in on the AT.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    I think I'm going to wind up taking the DRT until it reaches the AT, and then go on to Amicalola Falls. I have a shuttle set up, so I don't think that I am going to try and do a loop. Thanks for the advice and help!
    - Yoda

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Hey Splinter,

Check to make sure the water sources are flowing. I know slaughter creek (on the side of Blood) is dry right now. I think springer and black gap shelter sources are OK -- but not sure of that at all.
    The DRT maintenance was recently taken over by the GATC and they have cut the weeds and brush on the trail so it should be much nicer than it was! Be safe and have fun!

• + New Posts