Tarp
    Tenth Wonder
    Insulation
    thermarest+yogamat
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Pad inside sleeping bag?

I'm planning a bit of a test tonight;

I have an old thermarest that I'm going to place inside of my Recon 3, Gen II -5C (20F) sleeping bag. Under that I have a 6mm (1/4) CCF pad.

To give me extra width around my wings, I've got a windshield heat visor tucked in between my sleeping bag, and the CCF pad.

Even though I'm going to give it a go (I'm not planning on sleeping in it tonight. Just a quick 30 minute lay before I retire to my indoors bed), I'm wondering if anyone else has tried something similar to this & with what results?

Cheers, Hammockers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I've never tried it...it strikes me as a lot of individual pieces to manage. If they will stay where you put them, it should work pretty well. Moisture may be an issue, but maybe not. I will be interested to hear how it goes.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tenth Wonder
    Insulation
    thermarest+yogamat
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I don't have an UQ at the moment, I would like to make one. But I'm planning on a hammock camp tomorrow night, hence the fine tuning of what I do have available now.

In my head, I had added the CCF pad because the thermarest on its own isn't big enough... I've previously tested the CCF pad as a SPE, but it wasn't dense enough, my arms still got cold. You're making me think though, I don't really need the CCF pad below the thermarest, and its insulation probably ins't worth the bulk-- but the windscreen foil thing is warm on my arms.

I'll lay in it with and without the CCF pad, see how much extra warmth it generates.

One thing I am quite hopeful for is, having the thermarest in the sleeping bag with me should solve the sliding off the pad problem. The zipper is on the top of the Recon, so there's no problems zipping whilst in the hammock.

Images
    i had a big angus bag with the bag sleeve in it. no down on bottom just top. pad stayed put and it worked ok. getting in or turning over was a contortionists nightmare, but OK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    When I use pads I have two in a "T" configuration. One goes from the small of my back, under my rump and down to about my knees. The second one goes cross ways so it wraps up and around my shoulders. Both pads are 20" x 30" so they're pretty easy to pack.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

bag

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i had a big angus bag with the bag sleeve in it. no down on bottom just top. pad stayed put and it worked ok. getting in or turning over was a contortionists nightmare, but OK
    Is that Big Agnes, or Col. Angus?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tenth Wonder
    Insulation
    thermarest+yogamat
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Well, I had some success, and some failure.

Firstly, my suspension system sucked. The continuous loops(from the hammock to the rings) failed. Well one did, so I fixed both. Re-made the continuous loop, but girth hitched it through the hammock & rap ring. Shouldn't go anywhere now.

Back to the topic at hand, I ditched the CCF pad. Didn't even try it. It was only down to 10C (50F) during my test. But with the thermarest inside the sleeping bag, I felt like I do when in bed with a electric heated blanket. Toasty. No cold butt, no cold arms/shoulders. Awesome.

I could turn over to my side and back again without disturbing the pad too much(not like it can go far). Just a quick wiggle and I was centred on the pad again.

The car windshield heat visor worked a treat. It doesn't make too much noise & stayed where I needed it. I pressed my arm against it whilst half on my side for 5 or so minutes, with very little cool sensation. The longer my arm was there, the less I could notice any temperature difference.

My legs were a little cold on top, but I was only wearing very light pants. I swapped those out for some regular tracksuit pants(warmest type of pants I have) and that problem was gone.

30 minutes in the hammock didn't really allow me to test any moisture buildup. But I am confident to go out tomorrow night with the thermarest & windshield visor into a 4C (40F) night.

I will post back any other findings after I clock up a few hours.

Hammock
    DutchWare Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing, whoopies
    I think your on to something good. I tend to toss and turn in my sleep. I just got a 3/4 UQ and I was worried about losing the foam pad under my feet. I'll give it a try next time I get out.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Down socks or booties will help your cold feet problem also! I love mine ! But nothing beats the comfort of a full UQ !
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    The one I am in :)
    I have been sleeping down to -14 C in a large 4-season sleeping bag with a folded thick military wool blanket under my back (inside the sleeping bag) and a summer sleeping bag as an overquilt (also inside the large sleeping bag).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast