Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Australian trees to avoid?

Hi all, new member & first post.
    Having just moved to Australia, I've noticed a lot of trees seem to be keen to shed branches without warning.

So, may I ask if anyone can tell me, or point me in the direction of a list, of trees to avoid sleeping under in Oz?

Thanks a lot.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    welcome to hammock forums,we have several people here on hammock forums
    from your corner of the earthneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Asym
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx,Siltarp2
    Insulation
    down,above & below
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    I'd stay away from the eucalyptus imported to hawai'i as well. BIG branches falling a LONG way

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Hi and welcome
    I tried to search up some info for you but I did not find much.
    I my time in a hammock here in Perth I have not had any trouble from any branches falling.
    I'll try to find out more for you later.
    Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Don't know anything about the trees in Oz, but it's a good habit to get into anywhere, taking time to "look up" & scope out the trees you're thinking about hanging your hammock from. as well as those near by. Easy to over look, but well worth the time.
    We call those dead trees & limbs, "Widow Makers".
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Do they have Aspens in Oz? I have often wondered about the safety of Aspens in the American west. The only reason for that is what some folks told me when I lived in Flagstaff, AZ., 20 plus years ago. Two teens who lived next door would go out every year to legally gather a quota of fire wood from the Coconino national forest just outside of town. They commented on how easy it was to knock down an Aspen, because of it's shallow root system. They said if they just rocked it back and forth for a while it would come down. I don't remember what size tree they were talking about.

Any body have any experience hanging from Aspens, especially during storms with high wind, or know if this is a bogus claim?

Thanks guys. Ther'es 2 Eucalyps in my in-laws' garden, & they're always shedding branches. I figure the species in general is probably one to avoid for now. Slow Hike, MiL says they call guym trees 'widow makers' here for the same reason.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    I have found something that might help.
    Global Garden
    Which species are most vulnerable to limb shear?

Some eucalypts are particularly vulnerable. River Red Gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) (see top right), Narrow-leafed Peppermint (E. nicholii), Sugar Gum (E. cladocalyx), Lemon-scented Gum (Corymbia citriodora), Spotted Gum (Corymbia maculata) and Swamp Mahogany (Eucalyptus botryoides) are trees to be watched in particular. Most species of Elm are also prone to limb shear. Ulmus procera and U. x hollandica seem equally likely to do it.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Do they have Aspens in Oz? I have often wondered about the safety of Aspens in the American west. The only reason for that is what some folks told me when I lived in Flagstaff, AZ., 20 plus years ago. Two teens who lived next door would go out every year to legally gather a quota of fire wood from the Coconino national forest just outside of town. They commented on how easy it was to knock down an Aspen, because of it's shallow root system. They said if they just rocked it back and forth for a while it would come down. I don't remember what size tree they were talking about.

Any body have any experience hanging from Aspens, especially during storms with high wind, or know if this is a bogus claim?
    I am callin BS on that one as far as being able to push down a good sized (Hammock worthy) Aspen if it is alive and healthy. I live in Utah and basically use Aspen Trees specifically. I avoid the "Pine" trees due to the sap as much as possible and they are the two trees of choice here. I can not say I am a seasoned Hammocker but I have deff spent enough nights in the woods among the Aspen Trees and can't say they are weaker than any other tree. If anything I would say they are stronger due to their ability to bend and sway in storms. However I deff notice many "Widow Makers" of various sizes in almost every tree I sleep under and will always look up as SlowHike suggested prior to hangin my rack. This isnt a new deal for me as I always did this before setting up a suspension challenged hammock (See tent).

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

I'm not sure about the strength of the Aspens. However, I think that a grove of Aspens is one plant. I think they send up new shoots from the roots. So all of the trees in a grove or stand could be one plant.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast