Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Indoor hammock for renters (please help)

Hello, i'm new so i apologize i this isn't in the right place or if this is preemptive and i have failed to read enough into this. However, I'm very interested in completely removing a bed from the list of furniture in my room as it takes up way too much space for the size of room i have. Hence the fact that I have joined this forum. At any rate, i've read a bit on hammock stands and realize that i may have quite a few restraints on my possibilities as far as mounting eyebolts into studs is concerned, or other semi-permanent fixtures are concerned being that we rent our home. I understand that to some people, the studs in an up to code home is certainly considered sturdy enough to handle the force of a 70 inch tall 144 lb person hanging from, correctly placed and what not, but I am simply not willing to take that risk. Especially considering that this said house still has the ancient firehouse round fuses. :O I do not have to money to replace the walls, nor would i ever like to know what such a job entails as it sounds incredibly costly. I had looked into building a stand, but it seems to me that a semi permanent stand is just as space consuming as bed. So, the simple solution is to find a way to maximize space while allowing the hammock to have the full space required. I may have little to no idea what I'm talking about, so anything beyond this point might be pipe dreams.... Just fair warning for anyone reading.

First, i had imagined a stand like "turtleady", after considering the amount of space i have to what is required, something more compact while assembled is required. especially considering that her design seems to especially shine around broken down mobility.

My next thought was to buy lumber to somehow envelop the interior perimeter of my room. this would allow me to diagonally hang a hammock to support at least my own weight, even if this could only do that much, it's a major improvement on sleeping on the floor. I'll do my best to put a crude picture showing my room's dimensions. If anyone can offer advice, links, hints, tricks, or anything else, feel free to post in this thread or message me. thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kraken; 08-17-2012 at 13:16. Reason: uploading picture

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I tie into the ceiling rafters, instead of the wall studs...for exactly the reason you mentioned.

The forces are much different when hung from a lateral beam, than when trying to pull two of them together from opposite directions. Never have I had even the slightest reason to be concerned about it...after more than 4 years of hanging our bedroom hammocks like that. I simply take a measuring tape and find my center (or close to it), then take a hole saw and cut a nice round hole in the sheetrock to expose the rafter. Make my eye-bolt hole dead-center, snap, click, hang.

When I move, the round hole is extremely easy to patch in a way that it will be invisible. Especially since the rafter is right there! Just use the same hole saw to cut a circle out of a bought piece of sheetrock, put a screw through the new patch and into the rafter, add a little mud, a few strokes with sandpaper, and a dab of paint...done!
    Trust nobody!

Images

Interesting, what about the angle of hang?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I tie into the ceiling rafters, instead of the wall studs...for exactly the reason you mentioned.

The forces are much different when hung from a lateral beam, than when trying to pull two of them together from opposite directions. Never have I had even the slightest reason to be concerned about it...after more than 4 years of hanging our bedroom hammocks like that. I simply take a measuring tape and find my center (or close to it), then take a hole saw and cut a nice round hole in the sheetrock to expose the rafter. Make my eye-bolt hole dead-center, snap, click, hang.

When I move, the round hole is extremely easy to patch in a way that it will be invisible. Especially since the rafter is right there! Just use the same hole saw to cut a circle out of a bought piece of sheetrock, put a screw through the new patch and into the rafter, add a little mud, a few strokes with sandpaper, and a dab of paint...done!
    I like the idea of ceiling rafters. My son wants to hang his hammock in his room. How do you calculate the distance of the eye bolts for a good 30 degree angle or is it not an issue for you?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    How do you calculate the distance of the eye bolts for a good 30 degree angle or is it not an issue for you?
    I use my Jedi training, well that, and a few years of hanging hammocks without ridgelines.

Seriously, I just decide where I want one end to be positioned and go ahead and make that attachment. Then it's just a matter of holding the other end of the hammock up to the ceiling and eyeballing the sag. I make a mark at the approximate location and make my hole. The whole process takes about 15 minutes.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like the idea of ceiling rafters. My son wants to hang his hammock in his room. How do you calculate the distance of the eye bolts for a good 30 degree angle or is it not an issue for you?
    Of course one could be a little more scientific about the whole process.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Images

Hang App

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Of course one could be a little more scientific about the whole process.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Cheers

Brian
    That's my problem, if you use a 13' distance, common in small bedrooms these days it gives you a wall hang height of 63". If I am hanging from the rafters, it's gonna be a lot more severe angle than 30 degrees. I have to go to a 22' spread before i get to a 96" wall height? Right?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If I am hanging from the rafters, it's gonna be a lot more severe angle than 30 degrees. I have to go to a 22' spread before i get to a 96" wall height? Right?
    A bit more complicated getting the distances right, but I had this problem at our last house. The sleeping loft had a vaulted ceiling and the area I was trying to hang from was around 12', or so, high. My solution was to drop a length of chain from the ceiling attachment point, then clip the hammock to the chain. But, because the chains will pull in as the hammock is loaded, what was 30° isn't even close anymore. Takes some experimenting to get everything spot-on. Math would probably come in handy, but I see little fun in that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    I just use a stand indoors, that said it also lets me set it up at other houses and such when traveling.

I suppose that's the entire point of a rigid support for the ridgeline beam in the tripod construction, so what you're saying makes a lot of sense. Sorry to trouble you further, but could you give me a link to read more in depth as to what is required to prepare for this type of setup?

Also, would this setup be capable of holding a combined weight of approx. 325lb?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't have any links, just school of hard knocks education.
    I'll be happy to send you some pictures of how our hammocks are hung. It's really pretty straight-forward once you have a visual.

As to the weight, 325lbs isn't an issue. I won't tell my girlfriend's weight, because I value certain parts of my anatomy, but we regularly sleep together in one hammock. Sometimes, we even have a party and the Bulldog jumps in there for some snuggle time. I weigh 240lbs, the bulldog weighs 72lbs, and I promise you Genuine Draft weighs more than 13lbs.

When the bulldog isn't around, sometimes there are additional forces at work when my lady and I are 'snuggling'. Know what I mean?
    So, 325lbs isn't even a blip on the radar.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast