SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...

Random Hammockers in Sipsey Wilderness

Took my friend, a Florida hammock newbie, to the Sipsey Wilderness to backpack and hang. The weather got pretty chilly for us, but the Sierra Madre inferno 30* set, and my Hammock Gear Econ 20* uq with my 15* big Agnes bag kept us warm.

She had a brand new Chinese hammock with rope suspension that we traded out with atlas straps, and I explained why. It was a dry night and we had a lot of chatting to do, so we hung the head end on a “double” tree and my OWL Tadpole tarp covered us both. She enjoyed sleeping in the hammock.

Our first night, we got in after dark and set up at Wolfpen Hunt Camp. As we’re getting things together, someone pulls in to a spot near us. Next thing I know, I hear “hey, Charlotte!” And over walks Chriss from the forums, that I knew from group hangs! Luckily he and his fam were there, because my car battery died! They also had a propane fire pit to warm up my Florida friend.

The next day we hiked trail 201 to the river to attempt to find White Creek falls.made it to the campsite at white creek, but chickened out of bushwacking to the falls. Had a delightful night, heard some owls, and got up to head back. Missed our turn, went further than we needed to, and bushwhacked/backtracked till we refound the trail. It was an adventure. Once back on trail, we came upon two hikers heading the way we had just come from. As I hailed a “hello”, the response is, “Hi, Charlotte”. ANOTHER forum member, Soul Embrace. At this point, Carol is convinced I know everyone.

This is a great community and I’m happy to be a part of it!

Charlotte

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Explorer A-sym
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps
    Sounds like a great time!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Images
    Wow, ran into 2 different HF and group hang folks! Sounds like we are taking over Sipsey!

So, like me, you also have a 30F Inferno? Did you use that, and your friend used the Hammock Gear Econ 20* uq? Do you know how cold it got?

Images
    How do you get to White Creek falls from Borden trail head, or Thompson TH? Not sure where White Creek is.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow, ran into 2 different HF and group hang folks! Sounds like we are taking over Sipsey!

So, like me, you also have a 30F Inferno? Did you use that, and your friend used the Hammock Gear Econ 20* uq? Do you know how cold it got?

I used the inferno Friday night and was very comfortable. Chriss said his thermometer showed us getting down to 25*. My friend used it Saturday night and said she was mostly warm, but her toes were still chilly, but she was cold and had cold toes all day. She's also from Tampa, where it's HOT all the time.

The HammockForums crowd definitely likes the Sipsey Wilderness! It was such a beautiful weekend, I bet there were a few more of us running around.

Charlotte

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    How do you get to White Creek falls from Borden trail head, or Thompson TH? Not sure where White Creek is.

You go in at Randolph Trailhead, take 201 to the river and take a right. White Creek is the first drainage you come to. There is a campsite there. We didn't go up in to the draw to find the falls, it was getting late in the day and I was a little anxious with a newbie backpacker. Soul Embrace was heading there on Sunday when we came out. I don't know if he found it.

Charlotte

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    I used the inferno Friday night and was very comfortable. Chriss said his thermometer showed us getting down to 25*. My friend used it Saturday night and said she was mostly warm, but her toes were still chilly, but she was cold and had cold toes all day. She's also from Tampa, where it's HOT all the time.

The HammockForums crowd definitely likes the Sipsey Wilderness! It was such a beautiful weekend, I bet there were a few more of us running around.

Charlotte
    Good to know about the Inferno. Sounds like your friend stayed warm also, as you did not report cold butt or back. Chilly toes of course is something other than the UQ.

You go in at Randolph Trailhead, take 201 to the river and take a right. White Creek is the first drainage you come to. There is a campsite there. We didn't go up in to the draw to find the falls, it was getting late in the day and I was a little anxious with a newbie backpacker. Soul Embrace was heading there on Sunday when we came out. I don't know if he found it.

Charlotte

OK, thanks, I think I have about got it. But I can't find it named on any map. 201 to the river, then do you cross the river, and take a right on the north side of the river, the side Eye of the Needle and Ship Rock is on? Or do you stay on the south side of the river and take a right without crossing? White Creek is different from nearby White Oak Hollow I figure?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Good to know about the Inferno. Sounds like your friend stayed warm also, as you did not report cold butt or back. Chilly toes of course is something other than the UQ.

OK, thanks, I think I have about got it. But I can't find it named on any map. 201 to the river, then do you cross the river, and take a right on the north side of the river, the side Eye of the Needle and Ship Rock is on? Or do you stay on the south side of the river and take a right without crossing? White Creek is different from nearby White Oak Hollow I figure?
    Stay on the side you’re on. Be careful on the way back, we missed the turn to the trail and kept heading up river.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Check out this GPS trail to the falls. They are worth the boring walk down 201
    https://www.alltrails.com/explore/re...er-ending-hike

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB

Charlotte
    first it was good to see you, I think this is the 2nd time I've ran into you in Sipsey. yes I made it to the falls (I've been there 3 times since Dale took us there at one of the hangs)

I think I have about got it. But I can't find it named on any map. 201 to the river, then do you cross the river, and take a right on the north side of the river, the side Eye of the Needle and Ship Rock is on? Or do you stay on the south side of the river and take a right without crossing? White Creek is different from nearby White Oak Hollow I figure?

the name of the creek is not on the sipsey map and yes white creek and white oak hallow is different.

like Charlotte said once you get to the river crossing look to the right and you will see a trail, take that trail and you will run into a creek and that's white creek and turn right and as soon as you can get on the left side of the creek and follow it to the end and there is the falls. I think it's only like maybe a 1/4 of a mile there. I did not climb up to valentine pool though and the falls was following better than I thought it would be
    Last edited by soul embrace; 11-12-2019 at 07:31.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast