Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    This is a very touchy subject. Innovation creates captilaism. When does credit for innovation cease. If we step back and look at the world market from 30,000 feet...you don't hear Toyota giving credit to Henry Ford for the auto with each model roll out. You don't hear GE thanking Edison for the light bulb. This rant could go on and on. Patent law and copyright engfringement....I'm no attorney. Is it worth it to patent a Whoopie sling? Is it patented? Most of the related products discussed here are for such a niche market, I don't think the extra legal protection is financially justifiable. With all this being said, keep the innovation coming. The quote about older members not posting their ideas anymore bothers me. If you have a great idea and keep it to yourself and don't develop it commercially, shame on you. Make a deal with and existing manufacturer and let's see innovation. I wish I was half as creative as the vendors in this industry. You have a unique ability to see a situation and come up with a better or alternate option. Most of us recognize this and will buy the product from YOU. However it is a global economy/market and some people just want the cheapest price. Remember these products are not commodities, so quality usually out weighs price. Don't let copy cats stifle invention or revelation.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'll never quit sharing my trials & errors, hoping that I can contribute in some small way, to tinkering that is such an integral part of this forum. If someone copies it for commercial gain, so be it. I'm definitely not going commercial with this stuff. However, acknowledging that it is not their original idea, would be in keeping with the character of this forum. Where I would have a major problem, is if they tried to patent something they copied off the forum.

The bottom line for me is that I hope the ebb & flow of imaginative design never stops on this wonderful knowledge base. hopefully, a fee bad apples son't spoil the barrel.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark;790515The only "new" things I am aware of in hammocks is the bottom entry and shelf. I would not be shocked if I found an enclosed hammock with some kind of slit and side pouch from 1880 or so. Good ideas tend to get reinvented as well as discovered. [/quote

At least in the early days, Tom Hennessy was very frank about the inspiration of his bottom entry coming from military hammocks that preceded the Vietnam era. Granted, he made some changes, but the bottom entry was not created and developed by Tom Hennessy.

In the interest of full disclosure: I use a Hennessy hammock exclusively because bottom entry is the only gathered end style I can get out of without assistance. My mobility issues impose that limit. However, that does not mean that I endorse and approve all of his practices. On some level, the "patent protection" claim on items with obvious prior art is a form of intellectual theft.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    The U.S. Patent process is entirely broken, but that's another story altogether.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    This is a very touchy subject. Innovation creates captilaism. When does credit for innovation cease. If we step back and look at the world market from 30,000 feet...you don't hear Toyota giving credit to Henry Ford for the auto with each model roll out. You don't hear GE thanking Edison for the light bulb. This rant could go on and on. Patent law and copyright engfringement....I'm no attorney.
    This is a great point. Who first commercially produced a hammock with integrated bugnet that had zipper entry? How many are there now? Is credit still being given to the innovator? This zipper modification is just that, a modification. It's really no different than going somewhere to have a pair of pants shortened or hemmed. There are so many places that do that service and do it the same way that calling them out for doing it is ridiculous.

The quote about older members not posting their ideas anymore bothers me. If you have a great idea and keep it to yourself and don't develop it commercially, shame on you. Make a deal with and existing manufacturer and let's see innovation.
    This is an equally valid point too.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    I have known Mat from UK Hammocks for a while now and he is a stand up guy who has the highest ethical standards. Former UK special forces and just a really nice guy. Just my two cents. If anyone has any issues with him or his business, all you need to do is just e-mail him. Been a lot of negative threads on here lately..........very un-Hammock Forums like.

BF

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot2 View Post
    I have known Mat from UK Hammocks for a while now and he is a stand up guy who has the highest ethical standards. Former UK special forces and just a really nice guy. Just my two cents. If anyone has any issues with him or his business, all you need to do is just e-mail him. Been a lot of negative threads on here lately..........very un-Hammock Forums like.

BF
    I'm sure he is but the peak bag incident and this incident brings into question the judgements he made in providing a service to the fine folks in the UK. I and apparently a lot of folks would have done things differently.

But you're right no need to further drag any negative issues. This conversation has run it's course and the points made.

I would like to request the mod's close this thread please.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This does indeed seem like a good place to end the conversation.

One quick note -

I just heard from 2QZQ, and they wanted to let everyone know that Mat from UKH has been in contact with them about this matter today via PM. They took it as a positive communication, and they now consider the matter to be resolved.

I think considering it resolved is perhaps a good outlook for all of us to enjoy.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123