Hammock
    Homemade

Limited Hang Space

I have a small room.

My bed is starting to get a little lumpy.

I think the idea of sleeping in a hammock is really attractive.

I've built a hammock for my room following the instructions found on Just Jeff's Hammock Camping page: http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

After several weeks of trying different combinations of hammock length and ridgeline length, I am still unable to find the perfect combination. I have also looked over the forums for an answer to my problem, and have found lots of interesting information, but I have not found the answer.

I am 5ft 10in (~180cm) and weight is 154lb (70kg).
    My hang space is currently at a max 105in (2.7m). It is small, but it is what I have to work with.

My query is this:
    Is it possible to be able to lie flat in a hammock with only 105in for my hammock to hang between?

If so, what should the length of my hammock be?

I can use my hammock with or without a ridgeline. There is little limit to what I am able to try so let your ideas flow!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and contemplate my dilema. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You do not need a ridgeline. The rl is intended to ensure a predetermined sag in the "wild". Since your anchor points are fixed you can do away with the rl.

Second (I have a short room and hang in there) You can shorten the end attatchment point to just a few inches. Either a direct connect or short loop of webbing/rope and a carabiner. In other words, skip the whoopies, they take up alot of room. They are great in the woods, but not in tight places.
    Width of fabric will play a role in the comfort.

Lastly, the length of hammock can depend on the rooms width and how high you are attaching to the wall.
    Take the 83% rule of standard rl. Do the math backwards and you'll come up with a proper sized hammock for your space. I would think a ten foot hammock would fit fine in your 105" room. It would leave a small bit for suspension and the sag should be good.

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Your ridgeline is to keep your hang consistent. Since you will be hanging from 2 fixed points, you really don’t need one.

In my experience longer will help more with comfort than width. (not that width doesn’t mater) I’m also assuming your using eyescrews in the wall which also shortens your length by approximately one inch each. If you keep channeling your ends and have continuous loops there would be approximately two more inches each side for the “tail” of the loops. Your 105” is now 99”.

99 inches would now be your fixed length (ridgeline length 83% of total length) so between a 119 and 120 inch hammock should work.

Back to the width now. Your not lugging this thing around so go as wide as you can get and if you need to you can always trim it down.

Since there is no adjustability, I would wait on the placement of the eyebolts (or connecting points) until the hammock was finished and get someone to hold the other end to let you see how high you wanted them. I would also hang it outside with a 99” ridgeline before committing long term and make sure it is what you want.

This is just my thought. Take it for what it’s worth and have fun playing around with it.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I should have waited 5 minutes and said "What he said" LOL
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tncamper View Post
    I should have waited 5 minutes and said "What he said" LOL
    If I had a dime for every time someone said that...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Counter-intuitive but bigger might just be better here.

I'm thinking of the really big Mayan rigs. When used for multiple occupants, they are often displayed with the occupants being perpendicular to the hammock centerline. Enough sag and I would think one would be pretty comfy sleeping in it. I'm thinking more of a sling feel than a hammock feel. Enough width should allow for that pretty easily.

Something like this, except wider. This guy looks like his feet are dangling:

Or, there is always the Bat Hammock style. Although, I think comfort would be sacrificed in a big way for nightly use.

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Thanks for the info guys! I shall try implementing a 3m / 10ft hammock and see how comfy it is. I have a couple of different hammocks and can easily shorten one for a test.

I purchased the widest ripstop nylon the local store had. Its width was 60in.

I like the idea like the bat hammock. It would fit in my room.

I will post back here after I try the new hammock tonight.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I hope this isn't too off-topic, but is there any way to do a bridge hammock in such a limited space?
    I've got a loft that I currently hang my hammock (gathered end) under, from corner to corner. I'd like to try a bridge, but I don't have the space for that huge suspension triangle.
    Since weight's not a factor, I could use rebar (or something equally overkill for strength) for the spreader bars if I want, so then the limiting factor is line strength.

Any ideas?
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by reformer View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! I shall try implementing a 3m / 10ft hammock and see how comfy it is. I have a couple of different hammocks and can easily shorten one for a test.

I purchased the widest ripstop nylon the local store had. Its width was 60in.

I like the idea like the bat hammock. It would fit in my room.

I will post back here after I try the new hammock tonight.
    I am 6'2" and have a 9.5ft hammock, been sleeping on it for over a year. I like it more than my bed. At the same time I also own a brand new buttinasling 11' hammock. I have only had 2 nights to sleep in it but it is a tad more comfy and my tq doesn't fall out as easily. Anyways long story short at 5'10" you should be plenty comfy in your 10' hammock.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Success!!

I had a great night sleep virtually flat. Still got a little fine tuning to do with my hammock length, but I am now on the right track.

I have read that you need lots of sag to get a flat lay, however I was just using too much sag.

Thank-you all for taking the time to reply to my thread!

• + New Posts