DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Last made BIAS WWM 64" sl

I recently made a purchase for a BIAS WWM single layer and these are my thoughts and experience:

After many many hours of trolling the forums searching for my perfect hammock, i had almost given up on buying one, and resorted to making yet another hammock. i wanted to have that "stretch" of a thinner hammock without landing on the ground (6'2" 175lbs). I then found a thread entitled "BIAS questions" and started reading. the more i read, the more i liked.

So i exchanged a couple of open forum questions with jbrianb and decided to email him some concerns i had. with expedicious loyalty to the average customer, he replied, answering even the least of intelligent questions that i had for him; all the way down to setting up a paypal account. (i am not so computer saavy)

So instead of asking Mrs. Fish<>< for permission, i told her that i was going to do business with Brian. Luckily it went all well and i got the hammock i have evidently been missing. I ordered, and since it had already been made for another customer,( i guess he wanted a 10.5ft hammock) it shipped quickly.

Before i go on let me say that my only other hammock is a diy 1.9sl measuring at 9.5ft to whipping. It is a very comfortable hammock and i still plan to use it when i am feeling like using my 6x8 tarp.

i am no weight weenie at all, i only wanted a thin material for stretch, and living in HOT guam, i need a little tarp to allow as much breeze as possible. so both hammocks will still have a use for them.

now back to the review...

when i put the hammock on the scale after receiving it, in its shipping box it was only 450ish grams...Now thats some lightweight stuff. when i opened it up and weighed the hammock, straps, slings, and ridgeline inside the stuff sack; it all came in at 357grams. i was extremely pleased with the size and weight this hammock is when stuffed with all the suspension included. my diy is almost 500 grams.

So i had made a deal with my wife that i would watch my son (15months) while she got a shower. Just the 15 to 30 minutes i had to wait for her to be finished was killer! anyways i got it hung on my td stand layed down, and 5 minutes later i was getting hollered at. my son (recovering form a stomach bug) had regurgitated his entire dinner all over her lap...not fun...so an hour later we both had to shower(the wife a second time) and right around midnight my wife asked if i would sleep with her and the son in case he were to do that again, and of course i had no choice but to agree. so i packed it all back up and headed to bed.

The following night my inlaws (whom i actually get along with really well) arrived, and since we only have one bed, a crib and an inflatable bed, left me "bedless". so i happily agreed that i would sleep in the living room. We had gotten home at about 4pm that afternoon from some errands and i decided i wanted to have a few "big boy drinks" namely chugging jinro. it doesn't happen often, that i want to drink, but i wanted to that night for whatever reason. well several hours goes by and right in the middle of my smoking a chicken (inlaws request for their first meal in guam) i ran out of alcohol. So instead of being intelligent, if you even can be after as much as i had, i decided to walk over to my buddy who lives right down the street and intermittently joined their party. i quit drinking about 10.

I finally sobered up for the most part around 2am, when we went to pick up the inlaws from the airport. (wife drove). when i was finally able to hop into my new hammock, it was almost 4am. i slept for about 2 hours when i woke up sick to my stomach. thinking there was no way it was the alcohol, i was wondering if the chicken i had cooked was undercooked but i had smoked it for several hours and it fell apart while cutting it. The sickness continued from saturday night all the way through monday afternoon, so needless to say my first hang wasn't a total success. My son had gotten me sick, and the "big boy drinks" probably didn't help.

2 days ago i finally got the chance to have a nice slumber in my hammock. i now understand after 2 nights in this work of art, why the length of your hammock does make a difference more than width. i can lay almost entirely flat, have room leftover, and even had to make a shock cord extension for my pluq.

The stitching is flawless, the knotty mod is awesome, it is not even crammed into its stuff sack, and the customer service at BIAS is by far the best of any of the said above items. I love this hammock and forsee a great future for this awesome company.

Oh and Brian did all of this while tncamper was out of town. What a swell cottage company! oh the hammocks and accessories are great too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fish<><; 08-19-2012 at 02:31.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great review fish! I'm glad you survived to enjoy your hammock another day

How much do you weigh, if you don't mind my asking. I have some of the same fabric and I'm trying to decide between single or double layer.
    Last edited by MAD777; 08-19-2012 at 12:26.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Walhalla Maddog 1.2 Robic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Camo
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Nice review! I've been eyeballing the BIAS! You can't beat the price! I was born in Guam btw! Thanks for the info! Maddog
    "Hike Your Own Hike." - Thru-Hiker

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Great review fish! I'm glad you survived to enjoy hour hammock another day

How much do you weigh, if you don't mind my asking. I have some of the same fabric and I'm trying to decide between single or double layer.
    I am around 175, 177 soaking wet, and was concerned about the strength, but after laying in it a few times I trust it. The only thing that convinced me to use fabric this thin was the thread about momentum 90.

Btw of you ever decide to sell that ole spinn tarp of yours let me know. If I have the money I'll take it.

@maddog- though it's my first non DIY, it is a quality piece of gear, so much so that IF this hammock ever gives out, I will get it replaced with another wwm. I highly recommend this hammock.

Wish I had been born here, I love this island and feel lucky to call this place home for a few years. Hafa Adai...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Walhalla Maddog 1.2 Robic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Camo
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    I am around 175, 177 soaking wet, and was concerned about the strength, but after laying in it a few times I trust it. The only thing that convinced me to use fabric this thin was the thread about momentum 90.

Btw of you ever decide to sell that ole spinn tarp of yours let me know. If I have the money I'll take it.

@maddog- though it's my first non DIY, it is a quality piece of gear, so much so that IF this hammock ever gives out, I will get it replaced with another wwm. I highly recommend this hammock.

Wish I had been born here, I love this island and feel lucky to call this place home for a few years. Hafa Adai...
    Hafa Adai...Todu Maolek! Maddog
    "Hike Your Own Hike." - Thru-Hiker

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Glad you like yours. I had the same size made camo, so the fabric is about 1.0.
    I'm not a gram weenie, but it weighs next to nothing. I'm 5'9" and 145#. Can sleep at a wide angle nearly flat to fetal, or on my side comfortably. Workmanship on it, as you described, is flawless. Love the Knotty mod. It's essentially a king size bed for one. Lots of room & much more comfort.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Fish:

We enjoyed this review and the one on Outdoor Trail Gear!

Thanks and glad you like your hammock!

-- Brian
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    Fish:

We enjoyed this review and the one on Outdoor Trail Gear!

Thanks and glad you like your hammock!

-- Brian
    I was going to send you an email regarding my reviews and got tied up making dinner last night, but seriously thank you for a great buying experience and I look forward to doing more business with you in the future.

@ snrmoment- I too was amazed at how wide and flat this hammock lays. I have knee problems partially due to my job and not needing a pillow under my knees is something I did not expect. I had even spoken with Brian about not using his standard method and allowing me to modify whip it on my own, but it was totally unneeded. I love this hammock and can't wait to have more time enjoying my recent purchase.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    Great review and pics. Congrats from another new BIAS convert.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Deleted post.
    Last edited by Fish<><; 09-07-2012 at 22:13. Reason: Deleted post

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast