Tarp
    WB Superfly camo
    Insulation
    HG 40*; UGQ 0*/20*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Dangerbird 68 - Lower back pain equals zero

(from a new hanger) - Received my 11' x 68" Dangerbird yesterday, set it up on back porch, hopped in to test, and found that I'd snoozed for 1.5 hours. Woke up refreshed. Slept in it last night; slept through the night and even fought off desire for an early morning bio-break; was just too fricken comfortable to get up.

I've spent thousands on beds over the years, from a Nature's Rest latex to my current (space-foam-top) sleep number bed. Always awake with slight stiffness in lower back; have to do that pull knees to chest thingy to loosen up the 55 year-young hip joints. When I got up this morning, I had zero, zero stiffness in my lower back and hamstrings. Slept on my back and sides; all good.

Overnight temp - mid to high 50s

Gear:

- WB Superfly tarp - overhangs hammock by ~1' either side.
    - Hammock Gear 40* Burrow - M50 material. Like having a cloud over me; light and warm.
    - Hammock Gear pillow on a string - best 30 bucks spent, ever.

Underneath (betwix layers) - Exped DownMat 7 UL (l+W version); 5+ warmth Rating. With just a bit of air, it conformed perfectly to the lay angle and makes makes the system feel like a pillow-top hammock. I'm thinking this mat will augment the 40* Incubator nicely for colder weather. Will be test-fitting the Incubator today; Randy included some nice quilts hooks for adjusting the UQ.

Thanks go out to PapaSmurf. Great communications; great product.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Welcome to the land of comfortable sleeping. Amazing how something so inexpensive can be so much more comfortable than an expensive bed. If I remember correctly, a lady friend of mine paid $2500 for a queen size sleep number bed about 10 years ago. My Blackbird is way more comfortable. You can buy a lot of hammocks, UQs, stands, tarps and other goodies for $2500.

Great review and pictures.

Enjoy

Andy
    Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground.

My favorite data mining thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Randy makes an AWESOME hammock!

Welcome to restful nights.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    I got to give others a sample of the DangerBird72 in the Black Hills last night. Comments like spacious, cavernous, I can turn around in it, perfectly flat, no shoulder squeeze at all, and many more were shared. (I've slept in mine since early July and it just keeps getting better. I don't need as many hours of sleep compared to a bed.)

I hope you continue to have great experiences with yours. I'm comfortable you will.

Hammock
    DB 68 Custom DL; WWM 64 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly camo
    Insulation
    HG 40*; UGQ 0*/20*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hammock Gear UQ fitted to Dangerbird 68

Did a little tweaking of my HammockGear underquilt to fit the longer/wider Dangerbird. The challenge was to get the UQ to sit at more of an angle and to accommodate the additional hammock length.

Tweaks:

The UQ has a continuous length of shock cord that runs lengthways on both sides and across the ends (race track shape; only one knot). Each end section of this cord was originally fed through the same suspension-connect s-biner as the corner supports. I unhooked this line from the s-biner on both ends and also added a 12" length of line to the shock cord so it was not as tight. Added mini-biners to the d-rings at center ends of the UQ; hooked to the shock cord to hold the center section in place.

Also added mini biners to connect the tie-out lines to UQ side d-rings (see close-up); pulls the pieces together nicely at the mutual corners, and quilt hooks along other spots. It's secure and stable enough to stuff the combo into a large Bishop bag and then unfurl. If detached from hammock, adds < a minute to setup.

Have a few other things to try but so far very pleased with results; can get a flat lay in normal sleeping position and coverage from head to to hoof; no gaps that I can detect; wicked warm and comfortable. It does seem to scrunch the lay just a bit, so may try longer pieces of shock cord for the corner supports.

Initial comparisons to air mattress - The air mat seems to be more comfortable in the foot area; removes any sense of my feet pressing together. The UQ; however, is more comfortable for my shoulders; creates a flatter lie at the top. These are just initial impressions; have much more to play with. Like both solutions, a lot!

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Thanks for the UQ tips

I have been thinking about My DB 72 and UQ together. And will make my tests wit full UQ after enLIGHTement quilt arrives next month. I currently have got only WB yeti to test, and I think it would be too small and it probably has got too short shock-cords.

Hammock
    DangerBird72 /W.L. Light owl
    Tarp
    4S Cuben/WL OMW
    Insulation
    Fronkey made20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whooooopie...

DangerBird72

Great report. Here are a few pics of my DB72 in full flight mode.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1345763048
    Last edited by Groovy; 08-23-2012 at 18:06.
    "When you get to the end of your rope,tie a knot and Hang On."- Franklin D. Roosevelt

This brings back a nice memory. The first night I tried to sleep in my hammock was on a three night trip, I know, not too smart, but it went O.K., actually better than O.K. I awoke the first morning feeling so rested that all day long I was looking forward to the night. Long story short, after coming home from the second four night trip, I hung it in the yard and have slept there ever since. No pain, my gain.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    I got to give others a sample of the DangerBird72 in the Black Hills last night. Comments like spacious, cavernous, I can turn around in it, perfectly flat, no shoulder squeeze at all, and many more were shared. (I've slept in mine since early July and it just keeps getting better. I don't need as many hours of sleep compared to a bed.)

I hope you continue to have great experiences with yours. I'm comfortable you will.
    i was one of the aforementioned and will back this up 100% if you want a super comfy hammock this is definitely one to look at!

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

• + New Posts