Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

generic hammock arrived today

The nice postman delivered my hammock today.

It is a parachute nylon two person hammock, ends sewn like an Eno. It is screaming red and blue. Weighs 1lb 5.75oz (616g) (with their S-hooks on it) and stuffs into an attached pouch. Either good for 350 or 400 lbs, depends on what info you read.

I'll take it out to a park tomorrow and find a couple of trees. To start, I'll use a couple of cannibalized ratcheting tiedowns for hanging since I have them already.

If I like it for an afternoon of relaxing in a city park, I'll work on modifying it for camping.

Let the Madness begin!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    All right! Let us know how it goes.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

Not too bad

Went to the park and hung the hammock. Took me a few times to get everything set so my rear did not touch down.

I think I'm sold on this 'no ground' idea.

As I thought, my dog wanted in with me and she did get her front paws in but the movement of the hammock discouraged her. I predict that this discouragement will not last. Having the hammock a little higher would help. But wait, my dog likes to jump. Hmmmm

I think I'll play with this hammock for a while and eventually make a DIY in a more subdued color.

I didn't get many pics since I got sidetracked with answering questions from passersby. But this pic is from just before the dog stuck her paws in the hammock. The colors of the hammock are actually the same as the dog's collars, just a bit washed out here.

Just think how loud my setup would be if I add my ray-style quilt, in blue and bright yellow, and used my purple tarp. Yowza!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    Just think how loud my setup would be if I add my ray-style quilt, in blue and bright yellow, and used my purple tarp. Yowza!
    That sounds similar to my set up... :3

Loud set ups are fun man. Roll with!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

mods on the drawing board

I've decided to stick with my $20 dollar investment and embrace the loud color of this hammock. (search Amazon with 'hammock' and 'red/blue' and '2006' to find your own deal)

These are the modifications and future projects I'm thinking about for this hammock. What do you think?
    Planning is such fun!

Hammock Mods:
    Replace current S hooks and rope with Amsteel and double rappelling rings (I have webbing tie-outs already)

Make structural ridgeline (detachable: biner at one end)

Tarp:
    Experiment to find right line lengths for a high square-pitched tarp w/ 2 tie-outs each side and storm-pitched with 3 tieouts each side. Get triptease (2 hanks) or Speer's line (one hank) for tarp lines.
    If you are curious, this is what I have in mind (except my tarp has only 4 tabs per side so I have a simple W of line):
    http://scoutmaster.typepad.com/my_we...nt_dining.html
    I can use 3 loops or 2 loops on each side and I still change the angle of each pullout as I desire.

Insulation:
    Fit ray-style quilt as underquilt (take footbox out). Check supplies of shockcord, grosgsrain, cord-locks and salvaged mitten clips, get more if necessary. See about fitting old Gerry as heavier UQ (DWR coating for Gerry?). Find method of using same shockcords on both quilts.
    Use rings on tabs to make life easier (salvaged from eureka tent)

Might want to add center-of-hammock tabs for UQ attachment (means more shockcord and more clips).

Use marmot bag for top-quilt and BA pad as backup

Test:
    Go car-camping at Peninsula and see if 9x9 tarp is usable in square pitch and see how dog does w/ new setup.

Future:
    Consider converting tie-downs to shorter tree-huggers to save weight (need more amsteel)

Make snakeskins or double-ended bag from bugnet for tarp.
    Ditto (silnyl) (check supplies) for hammock (sized for attached light UQ)

Make a bugnet (use center-of-hammock tabs from UQ to help attach?) Style of net? Not keen velcro on hammock.

Whoo Hooo!

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    good luck with all of that. Make sure you show us some pictures.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    The transformation of Generic Hammock continues ...

The line for the ridgeline arrived yesterday so today I set out for the park to find a couple of nice trees and try out some additions to the generic hammock, hereafter known as Circus Hammock. Blue and red hammock, purple skins, light blue line, blue and yellow quilt.

HamQuilt.JPG

I had taken the footbox out of my Ray-style quilt, added a couple of channels to the short ends, gathered it up a little, and added some shockcord to make a quick n' dirty underquilt.

I had also replaced the original rope on the hammock (threaded through channels on the end) with the popular pair of SMC rappelling rings on a piece of AmSteel.

HamSus.JPG

Oh, and I made some 'skins for fun.

62 degrees, sunny, tiniest breeze.

Found the perfect pair of trees and had the hammock set up in just a few minutes (no ridge line yet). Skins rock! Got the sag right first try and climbed in. Heaven!

HamFeet.JPG

Reluctantly climbed out and missed one shoe, coating sock with stickers. Need small piece of tyvek!
    Fussed around a little while finding the right length for the structural ridgeline.
    Climbed in. Climbed out (more stickers. Sigh).

Dug out the lightweight underquilt and tied it on (need to get some little 'biners). It is too handy having the hammock right there to dump the quilt out into while searching for the cords (no stickers!)
    Climbed back in and decided that underquilts are The Way to Go.
    I took a wild guess on the relative sagginess of quilt/hammock and got it almost right the first time. I'll admit skepticism about underquilts but I am a convert.
    I was almost too warm on the bottom and pleasantly cool on top. Rolled over on my favorite sleeping side to see how that worked and nearly fell asleep.
    !! Happy !!

These two perfect trees are at Oak Point, part of the Granite Bay section of the Folsom State Recreation Area, California. The very skinny blue line right above my toes in the third picture is part of Folsom Lake. It is at its seasonal low right now (at it's highest the water comes up to the little tree you see right above my hammock in the first picture).

I hope to get out car-camping in November for a real test with a heavier UQ, but that'll depend on what life hands me in the meantime.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Climbing into a hammock with an underquilt when it's cold outside & feeling the protection & warmth is a great feeling.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

circus hammock

I like that, the circus hammock. Anti-stealth. Be Loud and Proud.

But I'm concerned...those lines from the hammock to the rings. They're only blue. Sedately blue. Soothingly blue. And they coordinate nicely with the hammock. No, to be Really Loud and Proud you want bright lime Spyderline, with a safety orange accent.

glad you're having fun!

Grizz

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    3 season bag
    just my opinion since im a big guy but if you havnt already, i would replace the s-hooks with biners or something like that. s-hooks just dont make me feel safe

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast