Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger

Synthetic Insulation

I'm thinking of using Thinsulate or Primaloft for my quilt rather than down. Question is, Thinsulate is sold by width, does that means I don't have to create baffles? Next question is how to calculate how much Thinsulate and/or Primaloft would give me x temperature rating.

Also, I was thinking about using reflective fabric as the inner shell to reflect my heat back to me, has anyone done this before? Is condensation an issue using this fabric for this purpose?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Can't answer your questions concerning thinsulate/ primaloft as I haven't used either. As to the reflective fabric I have used the Pellon product Insulfleece. It is a perforated mylar sheet with fleece on both sides. It's not compressible but piece I use can be folded and rolled down to the size of a heiny pot. Adds maybe 10 to 15 degrees to your UQ. YMMV
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    I'm looking at the Reflective Ripstop Nylon fabric on this page: http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...oated-fabrics/

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Don't believe that would work for a hammock as it is coated and they state "This material is not breathable, so it acts as a vapor barrier. If used in sleeping bag or quilt systems be sure you know how to manage moisture properly. We have been using this very effectively in making freezer bag cozies with Insultex or PrimaLoft as the insulation."
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwchannell89 View Post
    I'm looking at the Reflective Ripstop Nylon fabric on this page: http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...oated-fabrics/
    I have some, but I haven't used it yet. Looks like good stuff, but a quick blow test suggests that it won't let moisture pass through as easily as regular 1.1 ripstop. For a first quilt that's likely to be good enough to stay in service for quite a while, I'd suggest 1.1 ripstop with Primaloft insulation.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Can't answer your questions concerning thinsulate/ primaloft as I haven't used either. As to the reflective fabric I have used the Pellon product Insulfleece. It is a perforated mylar sheet with fleece on both sides. It's not compressible but piece I use can be folded and rolled down to the size of a heiny pot. Adds maybe 10 to 15 degrees to your UQ. YMMV
    Olddog...you say you fold it and pack it? Is it that durable?

Sounds like a great material for kwchannell89's project as it should breathe.

G-Nut

I have some of the reflective ripstop from the same place - I've wrapped up in it like it were a emergency blanket to compare the uh... 'reflective-ness' and it was okay.
    (My body doesn't do good at radiant heat production so I may not be a good judge of that characteristic of the product - but it wasn't any worse of a product *to me* than a regular Mylar sheet)
    It definitely was a vapor barrier though, quite comparable to a Mylar sheet (like SOL's Emergency Blanket).
    I plan to use it as I would an Emergency Blanket in an Under Cover / Quilt setup, but rather than having it be a 'disposable' Emergency Blanket that I can pull out/put in, it will be sewn in as a part of the under quilt system that I'm making
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
    Olddog...you say you fold it and pack it? Is it that durable?

Sounds like a great material for kwchannell89's project as it should breathe.

G-Nut
    It is fairly durable and the fleece coating on both sides seems to give it a bit of extra strength. The piece I have is around 45" x60" and is just laid on top of my UQ if needed. Memory failed me again and it is larger than I remembered, more like the size of a one lb coffee can or the small size of the 3 waterproof Outdoor Product bags from Walmart. Weight in the bag is 7.3 oz. For a hands on, some WM's with a fabric dept carry it or both Hancocks or Joanns.

http://pellonideas.com/products/1054...ul-fleece.aspx

The small bag in the pic is the insulfleece packed. That's not the wp bag in the pic but they're about the same size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Well, I was going make the Reflective Nylon the inner shell of the hammock and a breathable fabric as the outer shell. I know a lot of people on this forum as I comb through the threads uses ripstop nylon and down, but I was just thinking outside the box. Here the link for the Thinsulate: http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html

It says it sold by width, so I assumed I could sew it and make it just like the tutorial for Insulex on this forum?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Better to experiment with insulation (though I still prefer Primaloft or down over Thinsulate) and stick with a breathable fabric for both layers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast