eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie

DIY bugnet requesting experienced opinion

for those of us who arent the best sew'rs does anyone suppose that these premade mosquito nets could be easily and expediently modified for use with a hammock system. the weights as purchased are 11oz and 7oz respectively.

i see people making theirs from scratch. as i dont have a sewing machine nor access to one. im looking for a cheaper alternative to buying a fully premade hammock bugnet.

http://www.rei.com/product/729006/mo...vel-net-single

http://www.rei.com/product/728960/mo...r-mosquito-net
    Glory to the Fallen, Honor to the Lost. Faith to the Missing. Carry on Forever.

Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    I won't pretend to be the most experienced in this...but I have sewn and taped some bug netting before (just not for a hammock).

In all honesty, making one doesn't really require sewing (up for debate I guess)...

...because of the holes in the netting...you can just use quality tape and it should hold very well assuming you don't abuse the product. Just tape each side and the adhesive will be held through the holes. I think the reason people prefer sewn netting is for aesthetic and weight reasons. Also thread can be stretched a bit but most tape can't.

...it's hard to beat a properly sewn seam but a good quality tape can do pretty well too.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    Yes, my son and I did the Fronkey bug net using the single. We cut them apart and then laid out the parts like fronkey shows in his stickey. Neither my son or I have much experience with the thread injector. The seems held well and the project was good for experience since wiht bug net who cares how straight they are.

There is also another thread on doing a bug net using the single as well. We liked the fronkey one, but that was our taste. We have used them on one trip so far and they work great!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    wow thanks for the feedback.

i did read the fronkey write ups. his videos make you feel like you know the guy.

your link to the modified single looks like it basically makes a slip tube gathered end net?

bug nets really shouldnt be an concern during the winter months though, should they?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    honestly now that im looking at it. you could just cut a hole in either end at the top and reinforce them. and add a shock or draw cord along the bottom and trim the excess.

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images

Using binder clippss with bugnet

I have used binder clips to form a bugnet around my hammock. Using a rectangular shaped piece of net, as long as your hammock hanging at a comfortable sag, pinch a small wad of material at the end, where it's draped over your ridgeline. Tie that with some string to your hammock support, pulling each end taut. Then at the bottom two corners, take the material and roll it diagonally upwards until you have it tight enough to suit you, but so you can still pull up one edge and get in. Use a couple of binder clips to hold the rolled up material, which should seal both ends.

I have even just clipped the middle fold of the net in several paces along the ridgeline, and let the two sides just drape, and that works fairly well with less persistent bugs. Sometimes the big ones can climb up the sides and drop in for a visit though.

Happy hanging, gmcpcs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    i use 2" binder clips to make my winter insulation work!!!!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    So, how did your "no sew" bug net creation work out? I think that just poking a hole in the ends to run a ridgeline through might leave too much net. I cut alot off of the original net. The whole top panel to be exact. And then trimmed down the sides like Fronkey. You would probably only need to cut the top out if you wanted to minimize the hand sewing.

Also, you might just get some outdoor thread from Wally World or Jo-Anns and a needle and do a whip stitch by hand on the top. You could prbably get away with not having the stictches too close together.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    i havent had a chance to try it yet. as im back at work. but i will be soon. i found some quite dense camo "blind" netting thats fairly light feeling for a five yard section. kinda pricey though. i may do a realtree pattern based on fronkey's design. and im buying a sewing machine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast