BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Athens-m50 View Post
    I ran across this site yesterday......looks like they have ALL the stuff you would need to do most projects....I will DIY my next one.....love my BIAS WW......but like the DYI part.

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/

Athens
    We recommend this site. Scott from backwoodsdaydreamer.com is a forum member and we buy from him whenever possible. For a DIYer, it's hard not to recommend this vendor. High standards of business. I wish I had a dollar for every dollar he's sent back to us after I forgot my discount code and -- get this -- he noticed it and sent a refund. He's set a high mark for cottagers.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    Sorry to go the other way but I say buy. I'm an OK sewer but I have waisted more time and money thinking that I could make something better. Dont get me wrong I still DIY some bags at stuff but if you want a proper hammock then buy a proper hammock.
    My first hammock cost (only a little poetic license) $300. After scrap, waste, bad ideas. Cheap materials that didn't work. Order a fabric from an unknown supplier for less. Order some webbing with a too-good-to-be-true price. Rebuild the hammock due to poor stitching, lack of knowledge, etc.

Some folks tell of success with DIY projects on the first try. I am the guy who cut the fabric too short. Who sliced the netting while installing it. Who stitched the bag inside out. After some time, work, practice and advice, I can pull it off. And that's why my first hammock cost $300.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Ive been convinced, DIY it is.

Thanks for the link, ive checked out the site and bookmarked it. Unfortunately, they are busy and can not post ANY orders until the 30th. Also, im in the UK, and that could cause problems with customs etc.

So, ive just ordered some Ripstop nylon from ebay.
    1.3m x 5m
    Olive colour
    About £7. Including postage.

I figure it might be cheap, but there's enough fabric to make a hammock and maybe a stuff sack. If it doesnt work, im out of pocket less than a tenner!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Next decision......do you whip the ends or sew a channel?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Gathered End w bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Hex & Sock
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ TQs
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Don't forget to learn as you go

Also, while were all handing out our $.02 (what's that in pounds?)

Don't have your mom sew it for you. Have her show you how to sew it. Then when it's finished, you get to show us the hammock you built. You'll learn more faster with fewer mistakes. Plus its great time with family which you won't always have easy access or opportunity for.

As others have said a simple hammock is a great first project. Rolled hems, straight seems & maybe a bar tack. Learn those & you're good to go.
    Add a flat felled seem to your repertoire and you have (nearly?) all the stitches you need to sew every hammock, UQ, TQ & tarp design described in the DIY section. Working with curves, Silnylon and not sewing the wrong parts together just takes practice.

Ed
    DIY Quilt Spreadsheets: http://is.gd/pcEXXK
    DIY Project List: http://is.gd/pcsxfQ

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12