HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

Meet my new 3 Season "Phincubator" and Wide Burrow in M50/10D

Meet my new 3 Season "Phincubator" and Wide Burrow in M50/10D

Yep in my never ending quest for the ultimate quilt set I have just received another piece or Stormcrow magic !!

My last set purchased (30°F) were in M50/7d and I just loved the M50 on a recent windy cold trip. I just had to have more......

So this time I looked towards a full length 3 season UQ but just couldn't get past all that weight. (being a bit of a gram counter) I figured I use the hammock on enough hunting trips where weight isn't a concern as I'm car/quad camping but I still wanted the lightest possible UQ if I did want to backpack with this one.
    I had also spotted a few others with quilts that gave full leg/feet coverage but fit at the shoulders like a 3/4 UQ. Now that was what I was after.
    After a few emails with Stormcrow a length of 68" was decided that would have a shoulder fit like the phoenix (no head coverage) But this UQ would retain the full length leg shelf design of the incubator, hence not require the footpad.

Now the "Phincubator" was born !!

Man the new shape is very clever. You can see in the pictures the leg shelf and how the quilt is body shaped without even anyone in it. The draft tubes are a great addition.
    All I had to do was tighten the end cords to seal up the draft tubs and it fit my WBBB like a glove. Any tweaking was all but non existent the fit standard was that good. No cold spots on this UQ !!
    FYI I'm 5'11" tall and the fit on me is near perfect. Shoulders down to full feet coverage. I'd guess the UQ seals up about 2" lower than my feet so for me, that's a perfect fit.

Most of my walks I use a Osprey Exos 46 so taking the footpad is generally an extra anyway as there is no backpad on my pack, so it will be nice to drop that of the gear list. Also I always take my blackrock down beanie. For me this is enough on my head (Maybe with a balaclava in really cold weather), I don;t use a pillow in the hammock and never seem to get a cold head, even well below freezing. I sleep flatter too and find my neck bent a little sharp if I do use a thin pillow.

I knew straight up that this set would be my cold weather set and like my last recently sold 3 season set, opted for a good amount of overfill.
    The 68" UQ has 13oz of 900 fill down (Yep I wanted lots of overfill), outer shell is jet black M50 and the inner fabric is black 10D. All with contrasting white stitches, It's pretty neat looking !!

The TQ is another marvel. 56" wide head end with a regular width sewn footbox up to 24". Same jet black M50/10D shells, white stitches and stuffed with 15oz of 900 fill down.

Oh yeh, weights I guess your thinking.
    The "Phincubator" is 620 grams (21.8oz) with full suspension, The primary suspension is quite a thick bungie (Looks near 4mm) and the secondary is only thin bungie.
    Honestly I had figured the UQ might have been an ounce or 2 lighter but it is jammed with a lot of down. The UQ this replaced was a 3/4 phoenix with 2oz overfill (10oz total fill), regular 1.1 shells and it weighed in at 530 grams (18.66oz).
    So for an extra 90 grams (3.17oz) total UQ weight I have an additional 3oz fill and now don't need to carry the 2oz footpad (It nearly evens out). Also the M50 outer is very wind resistant. A lot more so than the 1.1 shell.

The Wide TQ is 580 grams (20.42oz). This has replaced a wide snap footbox 3 season Burrow which had 2oz overfill (14oz total), regular 1.1 shells and it weighed 690 grams (24.3oz).
    This I am very happy with as I've shaved 110 grams (3.87oz) off my TQ but gained another ounce of fill and it has the warmer sewn footbox. Again I feel the extra wind resistance of the M50 is a good bonus by itself but the fact it's lighter makes it even better.

I have to say I'm still a fan of the snapped footbox but now having used both sewn and snaps I feel that the sewn is a lot warmer. This new Burrow has a very large amount of loft in the base of the footbox. The snapped footbox's just seem to loose a little loft when clinched up tight and there's always that little hole in the middle that in really cold weather you get a tiny little chill through every now an then. Stormcrow also tells me that the sewn is a littel lighter

I have only had the chance for one night so far in the backyard with the quilts. We only had a low of 3°C and honestly I near cooked. Most of the night was spent with just the TQ loosely draped over my near naked form.
    The heat coming out of the UQ was huge and I only lasted about 15 minutes fully covered by the TQ before my feet were extracted and I just sort of half had it over me.
    Comfort wise this is the fist time I've used a UQ that didn't require a footpad or feet insulation. I have to say it's a very comfortable experience. I don't tend to move around much anyway but your always conscious of the footpad and cold spots. With this bad boy I rolled all over the place and never even gave cold feet a thought.

I think unless it's forecast to be below -5°C I'll just take this UQ and my 30°F TQ and wear some extra clothes to sleep.

Anyway enough of my dribble but I knew that some out there would be interested to see the latest custom gear pumping out from the Hammock Gear shop !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Congratulations on a beautiful set of quilts!

The shot of the underquilt looks like the Goodyear blimp taking off! Mighty toasty!

And that wide TQ will take you to ground if (heaven forbid) you ever need to.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Man that's a nice set! That setup would fit me perfectly too. Congrtulations! I wonder how low you could go with all that overfill.

S

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Man that's a nice set! That setup would fit me perfectly too. Congrtulations! I wonder how low you could go with all that overfill. S
    Hopefully I can find out one day soon. I fear it might be on hold until next winter for me now though as my wife is all but ready to drop our first baby out any day now.

I would say it would take me to 15°F without any hassle (Maybe 10°F, but we don't really see weather that cold where I hang). I used my recently sold phoenix with 2oz overfill down to pretty much spot on the 20°F rating and never even felt like it was near the lower limit. I was warm all night at those temps, no cold spots at all.
    The M50 really buffs any breeze off too which will be a nice ++ in cold weather.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The shot of the underquilt looks like the Goodyear blimp taking off! Mighty toasty!
    And that wide TQ will take you to ground if (heaven forbid) you ever need to.
    LOL LOL Yep it does look like a blimp but a beauty none the less eh !!

The wide burrow is definately made for the ground and hammock. That extra 6" makes all the difference on a pad. I do ground camp almost as often as the hammock. Only Alpine though above the treeline so I have little choice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Awesome looking quilt set, I love the creations Stormcrow comes up with.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Congrats! That is one sweet quilt set you have there!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow40 / Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    G'day Pig.
    Thanks for the detailed write up. I'm in a similar situation over here in west Oz. I found my set up a little cool for me this winter and I am currently communicating with the HG guys and trying out a few ideas to warm my self up on the few cool nights we have, this July we had some records broken for the most number of nights below 5ºc . Look forward to some field testing reports and how it performs in the cool winds . The long Phoenix or short incubator was an idea I was thinking about, considering my wife is about 5 ft tall and I'm about 6'3" . She could use it during the warmer months then during the peak of winter it could be all mine .
    Last edited by bikerbobbo; 08-22-2012 at 11:28.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Awesome set up dude!

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Can't go wrong with HG gear! You have a absolutely beautiful setup...very nice! And you also have some of the best workmanship available that built you very nice gear! All I can say is happy hanging and enjoy as I know you will..very nice!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast