Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Full_timer View Post
    Ah, come on Cannibal isn't it time for a nice meaty review. Obviously, you have been an early adopter and beta tester. You just keep handing out hors d'oeuvres to taunt those of us who have to wait and starve for knowledge. That got a little crazy in the Sierras.... We are getting hungry....

I was an earlier "tester", not adopter. Don't think I didn't hint, beg, and maybe even threaten a little bit to get one early. I know some won't believe me, but I got my hammock just a hair earlier than they went on order. Not enough time to get a trip with it, that's for sure!

I'm sleeping in it nightly right now out back. I'll put out a review this weekend after I've had a good amount of time in it. But seriously, you want to read my review (from a known to be biased user) instead of waiting for Shug's video review? I wouldn't even read my own review when presented with that option.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    How tall are you Cannibal?
    6', 240(ish)lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    If I recall some past posts you never were a huge fan of bridges yourself, but the RR appears to have garnered your favor.
    Tis true. It isn't for lack of trying either. I have a JRB BMBH and a Grizz Bridge at home. I've camped with them a handful of times, but mostly been in the yard trying to make myself dig them. The Grizz Bridge works better for me, but I wasn't able to love it; I like it as a 'friend'. Still, the lineage of the RR is pretty obvious, visually. There is definitely a Grizz in the woodpile when looking at the RR family tree.

The RR is more stable than the Grizz. At least, for someone of my size. That is a huge point for me. I never fell out of my Grizz Bridge, but I was always waiting to take a spill. Mostly, the RR feels much bigger than it looks and is unique in that regard. I can get way over on the edge of it and it doesn't feel like I'm going to tip. I'm becoming more of a fan every night I spend in it. Not thrilled about the weight for a hiker since I've become very weight spoiled with some of my rigs. Still, it will be going on some hikes within the month.

Edit: Consider that I have the double layer models, so that is where some of my weight gritching comes from.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered, but what is the length of the hammock body, and also total length between suspension points?
    hammock should fit up to 6'6", the fabric itself is probably very slightly longer than that

length between the ends of the suspension triangle will depend on how tight or loose you hang, but about a hair under 13'

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    6', 240(ish)lbs.

The RR is more stable than the Grizz. At least, for someone of my size. That is a huge point for me. I never fell out of my Grizz Bridge, but I was always waiting to take a spill. Mostly, the RR feels much bigger than it looks and is unique in that regard. I can get way over on the edge of it and it doesn't feel like I'm going to tip. I'm becoming more of a fan every night I spend in it.
    So how does it feel for shoulder squeeze and how does it feel length wise? An earlier Brandon post said the weight limit was aimed at shoulder width more than weight. So if you were say...270(ish) would you trust it? Perhaps Brandon could weigh in with a weight limit based entirely on hammock limits. I may end up getting one for Judy but will want to try it myself and don't want to break it.

+1 on a RR for us full figured fellas.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

re:

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    both are 1.1
    fabric width at head and foot end are both 45", this is raw fabric width, a little is lost in the rolled edge
    Brandon, Are these measurements right? It seems with a 39.5 inch spreader bar and Im figuring subtract 2 inches for the webbing roll a 43 inch finished body, it almost seem impossible. Seems like the finished width is more like 45 inches but I just figuring based in you pictures. Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    So how does it feel for shoulder squeeze and how does it feel length wise? An earlier Brandon post said the weight limit was aimed at shoulder width more than weight
    I hate to guess about the 270 part, but I will tell you that something I told Brandon had some influence on the weight limits. That was more about girth than weight. When on my back with my arms crossed over my chest, my elbows sit on the edge of the hammock body. Because of the cat cut, that ridge is, well, rigid. I slept that way for a couple of hours and awoke with a mildly painful sensation where my elbows had been sitting on the ridge. I can reduce that some by scooting up to the max position, but the better option would be to cut down on cheeseburgers, funnel cake, peach cobbler (lot of that lately), and the like. Much wider than me and the elbows would just hang over the side. I experience zero shoulder squeeze. Length-wise, I can point my toes and not touch the vertical foot-end fabric.

Not really a problem for me though. I've been wanting to be a side sleeper again and this hammock really encourages me to go on my side. I still usually fall asleep on my back, but almost always wake-up on my side. The issue is a non-issue for me, but still one of the many things I'm sure influenced the weight limits.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies

IBut seriously, you want to read my review (from a known to be biased user) instead of waiting for Shug's video review? I wouldn't even read my own review when presented with that option.

Tis true. It isn't for lack of trying either. I have a JRB BMBH and a Grizz Bridge at home. I've camped with them a handful of times, but mostly been in the yard trying to make myself dig them. .
    Actually, Cannibal my sense from your posts is that it will be a very fair and highly informed review. You own a wide variety of hammocks and UQs and seem to always be interested in expanding your horizons. The fact that your not the biggest fan of bridges is one of the reasons I am so curious about your experiences. Your posts indicate you are a fan of Brandon's handy work, as many of us are, but I would be shocked if you endorsed junk if the unlikely happened and Brandon needed a mulligan. The thing I dislike about my JRB bridge is a sense of confinement.

So my questions for you or Brandon, since we have to wait.

1. When lying side fetal do your legs feel cramped or constrained? Can they be moved sideways or are they fixed in one position? In my JRB I feel crammed into the hammock in this position with little room to move. It's comfortable but a very restrictive position for me. Kinda of like being zipped up in a mummy bag; yuk.

2. Have you experimented with removing the head bar and using three point suspension to shorten the suspension distance and increase the apparent stability of the hammock? Since I have learned to sew, I have been experimenting with hammocks with multi point suspension and I must say they are very stable and luxurious. After I run some more tests, I will post my results in the DIY section.

Andy
    Last edited by Full_timer; 08-22-2012 at 12:29.
    Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground.

My favorite data mining thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I hate to guess about the 270 part, but I will tell you that something I told Brandon had some influence on the weight limits. That was more about girth than weight. When on my back with my arms crossed over my chest, my elbows sit on the edge of the hammock body. Because of the cat cut, that ridge is, well, rigid. I slept that way for a couple of hours and awoke with a mildly painful sensation where my elbows had been sitting on the ridge.
    Thanks, sounds like I will need to wait and see if Brandon will design one for us big fellers. The bridge design hammocks have always seemed a bit too fragile for me and the weight limits (like the RR) are always too light as well.

Give up the goodies to drop tonnage? It seems to only work on paper for me...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Brandon, Are these measurements right? It seems with a 39.5 inch spreader bar and Im figuring subtract 2 inches for the webbing roll a 43 inch finished body, it almost seem impossible. Seems like the finished width is more like 45 inches but I just figuring based in you pictures. Thanks
    no, your numbers are basically correct.

Images
    full timer, the hammock is narrow through the hips to facilitate the view, when i lay fetal i actually poke my knees over the top of the webbing/side of the hammock

Two questions to Brandon, purely for curiosity sake:

1) how much does one of the metal (Al? Ti?) connectors at each corner weigh?
    2) your site lists the RR as "patent pending". The saddlebag design is new, but the bridge concept and execution seem to be an iteration of the JRB BMBH, Grizzbridge, and various DIY bridges that came before. Which part is being patented? (please do not take this as criticism, it is purely curiosity...if there is a better forum, I will take my answer "off the air" so to speak)

I have to say, I like what I see. My DIY days might be at an end, though a few mods come to mind...
    Looking forward to trying a RR. Good job!

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast