WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles

Quick & Dirty under quilt insulation for a double layer Ridgerunner

I might have hit on novel way to add some bottom insulation to a double layer Ridgerunner- I spent the last four days hammocking in Algonquin & Emily (close to Peterborough) Ontario Provincial parks. The lows were 36 degrees F. I brought along a Ridge Creek 3 season (3/4 length) underquilt, a Snugpak top quilt & a couple lightly insulated blankets. On the first night I found my lower legs were cold. Looking for more warmth I thought that there’s enough slack between the double layers that some thinner insulation won’t compress too badly. So on the next three nights I stuffed the Costco down throw (700 fill) between the double layers. The CDT is 60” x 70” so I just loosely spread it around. The throw reached from mid-chest to the foot of the Ridgerunner. It worked wonderfully! I slept as well as at home, no cold legs with the CDT & Snugpak's footbox. Give it a shot & let me know what you think.

WBRR-Costco-down-throw-underquilt.jpg
    Last edited by HarveyM; 10-04-2018 at 06:06. Reason: Added pic

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Q

Only problem with placing another quilt/blanket on top of the UQ is that the extra weight could cause the UQ to sag enough to result in gaps allowing cold spots. Placing it in between the two layers could also result in the insulation being compressed.

One time I packed two TQ and no UQ so I placed one of the TQs in between the layers of the hammock. Was cool but made it thru the night.

If my feet get cold, I throw my jacket down at the foot end of the hammock and place my feet on that for insulation.
    Last edited by gunner76; 10-03-2018 at 09:52.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    Questions...
    So, what works best for slipping between the double layers for temps down to 40? Closed cell foam, inflatable, down quilt? Is there enough slack in the bottom layer to maintain loft in a down quilt? Thanks!

Edit: found some answers over at camping hammock section Re: pads for the double layer RR
    Last edited by Carbon; 10-03-2018 at 13:46.

I did a DIY TopQuilt with sewn foot box from ripstop and fleece. Had it in my car two weeks ago in the mountains when it was going to be cold. Slept in my gathered end hammock with a Costco Throw UQ attached with simple shock cord at the ends. I knew I would be cold so I slid the summer TQ between the UQ and the hammock. Worked great. Toasty warm.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have used used a down throw in between an lighter UQ and the bottom of the hammock and it seemed to provide a remarkable amount of insulation...probably because of the amount of gap it takes up. It wouldn't be as useful exposed to the cold air because of the direct sew through design. But that seems to not matter as much when used as a sandwiched layer as long as there is not much pressure on it and it's riding in there kind of loosely.
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Quick & Dirty under quilt insulation for a double layer Ridgerunner

I would like to extend my canoe camping season in the Adirondacks with my DL WBRR another month or so. I don't have the money in the budget for an UQ right now. I do have a Spindrift sock, a Klymit V pad, a casualty blanket, two Costco down blankets and a 20 down sleeping bag. I suppose I could throw it all in the canoe and try different combinations at the campsite. What combination would you try first? I do have warm clothing to sleep in. Thanks in advance.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I'm not an expert but I think your sleeping bag is fine as a top layer. What you need to work on is a bottom layer. If yours Klymit pad isn't the insulated version, I don't think it would help. People have used the Costco down throws to make underquilts. I think that's the way to go.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    You can use the Costco as an UQ very easily. If you want more insulation, you can double them up. If you don't need as much insulation you can use one as a TQ and one as a UQ but I'd only recommend a single Costco quilt down to 60-70 degrees (but I sleep cold).

You can use a sleeping bag in your hammock just like you would on a pad in a tent. You can also just drape it over you as a quilt but the hood often gets in the way but just push it out of the way.

My recommendation:
    > 60-70: Costco TQ, Costco UQ
    < 60-70: Double Costco UQ, Sleeping bag

Images
    Generally speaking, a double layer hammock is only intended for a pad which does not compress much or at all( the 90* Hammocktent being definitely an exception, might be others.) That does not mean you won't get at least a little boost from adding something compressible, but most of the loft will be flattened. You will probably get about the same increase in back warmth as you would by sleeping inside a sleeping bag, which most folks find totally inadequate if it gets anywhere near the bags rating for cold temps.

You will probably get a bit more with synthetics, as they are known not to compress as well as down. I used to get a noticeable improvement in back warmth when I would go to the trouble to zip up inside my synthetic mummy bag. Not enough by itself, but certainly better than nothing and an improvement when I was not quite warm enough with whatever I was trying to use below the hammock.

I would have to put my RR up and have a look to make sure, but I'm thinking it's pad pocket is just like most pad pockets: i.e. the 2nd layer is snug up against the first layer, so as well as providing a place for the pad to sit, and a mosquito barrier, it also increases the strength rating. compared to single layer. If you place anything into the pad pocket, sitting on top of the extra layer, it will raise the first layer up buy what ever amount correlates to the thickness of the insulation added. So when you lay in your hammock, all of your weight pushes down on the first layer until it contacts the second layer, unless this is prevented by want ever was put into the pad pocket.

A closed cell foam pad Will prevent the first layer contacting the second layer by almost 100%, so if the pad is one half inch thick, then after you get in the first and second layer Will remain almost 1/2 inch apart. Which will then keep many people warm in their hammock to about 40°F. More or less, YMMV. A layer of synthetic insulation is going to be compressed a whole bunch more, I wouldn't know what percentage. A lot, but there will probably still be some useful amount of loft in warmth. Down is going to compress even more, just like it does in our packs and stuff sacks. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was still some measurable benefit, just like getting inside of a down sleeping bag would. Is that enough to notice? I don't know, I have only done that experiment with synthetic sleeping bags, which is enough to notice for sure. Not enough to do the job all by itself unless it's not very cold at all, but enough to help. So if you're under quilt keeps you warm at 30°F, and it is 25°F, getting inside of that synthetic bag may do the trick. Heck, who knows, maybe you could get by even lower than that. Would down under your back add as much warmth as the synthetic? I don't know, I doubt it, but probably still better than nothing.

However, if when you lay in your hammock, there is some slack between the layer you are in contact with and the second layer, then that is potentially an entirely different ballgame. If there was one inch separating the two, then anything puffy place between those lawyers would potentially be able to loft up roughly one inch. Which would definitely be noticeable. Assuming an under quilt wrapped around the entire hammock is not pulled up tight enough to collapse that layer. It's unlikely it will be tight enough to completely collapse that layer, but it could decrease the effectiveness.

So bottom line: if you got something not being used that would insulate, and you need a little boost, why not add it to the pad pocket? Assuming you can't find something more efficient and effective to do with that insulation. (like putting it under the space blanket and OCF pad in an HHSS, for one example) It probably won't hurt and it might help. It might even help very noticeable amount. Most especially if placing insulation that does not compress all that well.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I just pulled my Ridgerunner out for cleaning. The outer layer is 1 1/2 inches wider at the head end and over 5 inches wider at the foot end than the inner layer. There's enough slack for some insulation, (even compressible) to work. Again, give it a shot and let me know..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast