Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

Question continuous loop length for HH and rings

Hey all,

Sorry for asking a question I am sure has been answered somewhere here already. I did a bunch of reading in the ring buckle support thread and couldn't find the answer so here goes.

I like the rings and straps I have been using and have decided to remove the HH stock ropes so I can put continuous loops and rings on them. I am aware that, because of the two holes I have to go through, the double wrap, and the prusik on the double omega pacific rings, I need a longer loop then the standard 12 inch. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much longer. I am using 1/8 inch amsteel ( I know that will make a little difference too.)

I made a couple up using 48 inch lengths of rope and though they are 17 inches finished length they come up short. If no one knows for sure I will continue experimenting until I get the right length and report back.

huauqui
    Last edited by huauqui; 11-24-2011 at 10:29. Reason: fix and error

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    This might help a little - Here.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Well just for information purposes I ended up making 20" loops. This gave me enough room between the hammock and the double rings to put on the HH stock rope cover. Doesn't sound really important except I need that length for using my under/overcovers. Looks like I can attach the mitton clips to the prusik on the loops and will be a good length for setting up the supershelter and OC. Will post some picks later.

chau

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Here are a few pictures for those who may want to see this finished. I used 54 inch pieces of 1/8" Amsteel with 6" buries per Opies method which gave me 20" loops. They seemed to be just the right size. I then put everything back together and as I hinted to in the last post I put the mitton clip on the prusik for use with my Supershelter and OC. If they work as nice as they look I think my son will be very happy.

huauqui

Last edited by huauqui; 11-25-2011 at 20:04. Reason: to give Opie credit were it was due

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    That looks really nice! I'm tempted to try it myself, but I'm trying to hold out on emptying my wallet all at once; I need each purchase to sink in before the wife will accept the next one.

Suggest you get your personal credit card, or start hoarding cash.

In our household, my wife equates any of my gear purchases with equivalent pairs of boots ( eg 1 packraft = 3 pairs of boots), but I'm just as sneaky as her. I get my gear delivered to work. She keeps her boots in the back of the walk-in robe, and has so many I wouldn't know if they were new .

Maybe you should try the same approach. Get so much gear that she has no idea what is new or old.............."had it for ages" doesn't mean the partner actually has seen in before.

A

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Lol. I suspect she's cleverer than me though... I actually believe she doesn't buy much stuff.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

update after usage

Hey fellow forum members,

thought I should give an update on this hanging method. It really seems to be working well on my sons expedition. My son (ThreeD on the forums) really likes this method. Really quick set up works fantastic with the HH SS and is super easy to adjust once up. Makes my whoopies look slow sometimes since the straps/suspension/hammock function as one piece. We have used it in the rain and in the wind and it has worked a charm. He is about an hour from having his turtledog stand finished and can't wait to try this set up in his bedroom (I think he is hooked on Hammocks).

Couple of extra thoughts. We use the double descender rings with one long piece of 1" poly tubular webbing with loops on both ends. We have a carabiner on one end for attaching around the tree and just feed the strap through the loops on the other. This way he never has to take the straps off the loops, just unhook the biners and he is off the trees and ready to go. He will be changing out to new dutch clips at Christmas if he is good. Someday we will switch out the poly tubular webbing (which is heavy but was free) for some plain 1 inch poly straps but other then that this seems to work really well. I am going to try it on my new HH Explorer deluxe.

We have county fair here this week so no time for pics but hopefully Sunday evening I will have him set it up so we can get a few pics with it set up.

huauqui

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

Smile Pictures

Hey all,

i said I would get some pictures of this setup in use and have been very slow about doing so but have a minute so will try and post them now. In the pictures you can see how nice the HHSS works with this setup and you can also see just how much to long his straps are, but that is another story. You can also see ThreeD's one of camo HHSS in these pics. He is pretty proud of it.

To use this system takes two lengths of 1 inch strap (length depends on your situation), 2 continuous loops 20" long (I used 1/8" amsteel), 2 carabiners, 4 descender rings, and your hammock that and about a half hour to install (4 short zip ties if you want to put the HH end covers back on too.) You will also need a separate line setup for you tarp. The straps remove the ability to use the stock tarp setup on a HH which was not a factor for us since we already use a separate ridge line for our tarps. I use the prusik knot to attach the descender rings because I feel it helps with slippage, but you could just incorporate the rings in the fixed loops and thus might get by with a bit shorter of loops.

Hope this helps,

Huauqui
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts