Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Manach View Post
    I get the same thing with my Claytor. You think you need the zipper undone further than you really do to exit. Since it's a long hammock it's hard to reach the sucker once you're back inside.

Can't wait to get my Blackbird. Thanks for the report, Troll. Though I was, until now, waiting patiently.

I do that all the time with my Claytor. I find that when you initially sit down in the hammock upon entering, you can actually pull both ends of the zipper somewhat toward the center. This makes it much easier to reach when reclining.

Miguel

Images
    yeah, the full length zipper isn't needed for entry/exit, the zipper on the eldorado ended more than a foot from each end, the full length just adds the ability to throw the net over the rl. you just need to figure out how far you need it open and what you can reach once inside.

Quilt users question

My double layer 1.1 green hammock, blue tarp, and 3/4 underquilt arrived!

The hammock is great! Design and workmanship are top notch. I haven't set up the tarp yet, but I do like the blue color. I even like the green fabric on the hammockwith it's interesting gradations, it looks great with the caamo huggers too.

The first thought when I opened the quilt was ...this can't be right. I was seeing the layers of optional battting outside of the black nylon shell. The included documentation explains the layering system of the quilt to suit multiple season use.

I find the thought of adding a batting layer to the permanent layer a little intimidating at this point. I've never done any quilting type work. So here's my question. What have you other people have done with these 3/4 length layered underquilts?

Thanks alot, I wish you success with your great products.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    My double layer 1.1 green hammock, blue tarp, and 3/4 underquilt arrived!

The hammock is great! Design and workmanship are top notch. I haven't set up the tarp yet, but I do like the blue color. I even like the green fabric on the hammockwith it's interesting gradations, it looks great with the caamo huggers too.

The first thought when I opened the quilt was ...this can't be right. I was seeing the layers of optional battting outside of the black nylon shell. The included documentation explains the layering system of the quilt to suit multiple season use.

I find the thought of adding a batting layer to the permanent layer a little intimidating at this point. I've never done any quilting type work. So here's my question. What have you other people have done with these 3/4 length layered underquilts?

Thanks alot, I wish you success with your great products.
    So, there is insulation available for the UQ now? What is it?

Don't be intimidated by the quilting, like I was. It turned out to be dirt simple. Just turn it inside out and follow the directions, using any thread and needle, though a bigger needle might be easier. I just used a regular small needle. When you add a new layer, just place the new edge some what inside of the edge ( maybe 1/2"- 1" or so, about the same as the thickness of your insulation layer), run the needle through the new layer and the layers below it ( NOT thru the shell), then back up through all layers. Then tie some kind of knot, most any kind. It can be a knot like tieing your shoe, or whatever. And don't worry about compressing the loft a bit when you tie the knot, that is out on the far sides.

Just add one layer at first as you practice. Those two layers will be more than you need, I suspect, for a while.

It will work GREAT!

Images
    nope, no new insulation, i've sold off the small amount of uq inventory i had, i have been talking to the primaloft rep a bit, but i don't know if i could use it like i use the continuous filament. i need to get some and do some kind of durability test, been real busy and haven't had time though. unfortunately it's not looking like i'll have any synthetic torso uqs anytime soon.

when making the quilt loops, use one long piece of thread (4 feet or so) at a time, you should be making multiple quilt loops without having to re-thread the needle. step the layers in about 1/2" each time, 1" is probably pushing it, but i haven't tried it so i don't know, too much and they will sag, not enough and they will compress, 1/2" or so seemed close to right.

Quilting and quilt background

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

Don't be intimidated by the quilting, like I was. It turned out to be dirt simple. Just turn it inside out and follow the directions, using any thread and needle, though a bigger needle might be easier. ...
    Just add one layer at first as you practice. Those two layers will be more than you need, I suspect, for a while.

It will work GREAT!
    Thanks, BillyBob. I just need to remove my mental block regarding HAND SEWING! But, I think I can do this now.

I count myself fortunate to have gotten one of these Warbonnet quilts. And honestly, the all the answers to my quilt questions were included in the three page documentation that was sent with the quilt.

Some personal quilt background follows. I am the owner of four different quilts made by JRB, yet I have not been convinced to use them as "Underquilts" in my hammock (except for one night). I don't feel that the distribution of insulation is efficient for me when used this way.

Now the Warbonnet quilt could change my belief. I am very impressed with it- in every way. Even the fact that I get to customize the layers, I see this as a plus. (That is despite the fact that it requires hand sewing- a skill I haven't yet developed).

I hope Warbonnet guy finds suitable insulation to keep making his innovative products, so the rest of you can buy one too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I finally got a little time to take some picutes of my Warbonnet Blackbird DL. You can click the photo to enlarge it. I have also put some more photos in the gallery area.

Entry side view Entry side view Entry area Foot box

Shelf Shelf Shelf Shelf

Images
    Thanks, BillyBob. I just need to remove my mental block regarding HAND SEWING! But, I think I can do this now.

I count myself fortunate to have gotten one of these Warbonnet quilts. And honestly, the all the answers to my quilt questions were included in the three page documentation that was sent with the quilt.

Some personal quilt background follows. I am the owner of four different quilts made by JRB, yet I have not been convinced to use them as "Underquilts" in my hammock (except for one night). I don't feel that the distribution of insulation is efficient for me when used this way.

Now the Warbonnet quilt could change my belief. I am very impressed with it- in every way. Even the fact that I get to customize the layers, I see this as a plus. (That is despite the fact that it requires hand sewing- a skill I haven't yet developed).

I hope Warbonnet guy finds suitable insulation to keep making his innovative products, so the rest of you can buy one too.
    You are fortunate indeed!

I let my son use mine on the recent Wind Rivers trip. He used 3 layers of CS Combat ( not really positive which CS it was, but that seems the most likely) below a Claytor No Net, leaving one layer at home. We had lows in the mid 20s to mid 30s with rain, sleet/snow and wind. He had a WM short blue pad under his legs, and a Cat's Meow bag on top as a quilt, plus clothing. It was his first time in a hammock. He never had even a moments cold, he was always more than warm enough. I'll be experimenting some more this fall/winter, and I have been experimenting using it with a JRB Bridge hammock. Which so far seems to work pretty darn well. This UQ is, IMO, a superb product. It is a crying shame that he(WBG) can't get CS anymore. If he could, I would give this one to my son and get me another one.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I finally got a little time to take some picutes of my Warbonnet Blackbird DL. You can click the photo to enlarge it. I have also put some more photos in the gallery area.
    Great pix !
    Something wrong whith your chevy?
    The hood is up.

Thanks a bunch ! (yes , i spent some time in oz)
    I just had the "your order is ready" pm from WB.
    So, soon i have my OWN .
    Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I have a 1/2 down UQ from thepreacherswife that I'm super pleased with.
    Still have to figure out the temp limits for it though.

JRB under quilts are supposed to be "top of line", so i get a bit confused.
    What do you dislike about them?
    Which four do you got?
    Must be their whole set?

If you want to get rid of some, i might get it off your hands.
    The warmer the better.

EDIT fixed the [/QUOTE]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast