Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

understanding the differences?

I have been reading in this forum, and the various sites that extend from this site, about the different types and brands of hammocks. I can understand the difference between cheap and expensive, bridge or standard ( not sure the right term) and I understand that with most of these there are a numerous amount of mods and accessories.

So my questions is what makes people in this forum favor one brand over another? Why is warbonnet so much better then hennessey or clark? I know jrb makes a different type but do they stand alone ( i read the wb is making a bridge that may or may not be out soon). I am not saying people don't own a hennessey or clark or dd or clayton, but the overwhelming tone of most of these forums is WBBB or JRB BMBH and this may be for very good reasons.

I am also aware that in theory I could make my own hammock, but I am already worry about sleeping in something based on my ability to tie a knot. I am sure I will get over it and I am sure i have the ability to make one, but to get started I am planning on buying something.

Images
    I haven't yet found the perfect hammock, but right now my Claytors come as close as possible for me - although I'm considering a Dream Hammock with detachable weathershield and detachable bug net as the next step toward perfection.

I like a double bottom. I like optional (but not required) spreader bars. I like a separate tarp.

I would like dual entry though, detachable bugnet and detachable weather shield

I'd also like storage pockets (like the Clark)

Tie out loops and under quilt loops would also be nice.

BTW - I made a home made hammock from some silnylon material I found at walmart a few years ago. I had a seamstress sew the edges. Then I made a gathered hammock following Jeff's instructions HERE - really very simple to do. I've used that homemade hammock as a hiking hammock - I take it on hikes to take a nap in it halfway through my hike. At one point I weighed 270 lbs while using that hammock (I'm now down to 230) and had no issues with it.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    This is a link to a thread where people were asked if they could only own one hammock what would it be and why. Lots of interesting discussion. A good starting place for understanding what causes people to gravitate to various brands and styles of hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

Andy
    Last edited by Full_timer; 08-22-2012 at 12:01.
    Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground.

My favorite data mining thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    In terms of comfort, there isn't really one better than the other because comfort is personal thing. The WBBB is not perfect but it suits a large majority of people. There are some that can't get comfortable in a BB despite this but because it is so popular it is a logical choice for newcomers who don't want to spend a lot at first and only want or are only able to buy one camping hammock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    ...but the overwhelming tone of most of these forums is WBBB or JRB BMBH and this may be for very good reasons.
    I believe part of this is due to the vendors themselves.
    The Jacks have been around, and active on HF, basically since inception.
    Warbonnet effectively got his start on HF.

This interaction among the community is a huge bonus, IMO, for perspective buyers. It's nice to be able to ask the designer/manufacturer pointed questions and get honest responses. The other names you mentioned; Hennessy, Clark, Claytor, DD Hammocks don't really interact with us directly on the forums. They are watching, to be sure, but they don't actively engage their customers here. There are some good business reasons behind it, but it does put them at a disadvantage for the users here on HF.

This is also why some of the really small shops do a healthy business; because they are engaged here. BIAS, HammockGear, 2QZQ, etc., do well and are active.

HF is a bit of a niche within a niche of a niche. When a specific community is saturated with one thing or another, in my experience, the ones making that particular widget are also involved with that community. While neither the Jacks nor Warbonnet are particularly active anymore, they both still post on occasion and both will be quick to answer PMs. That tells me that they are still here and watching, but have backed off the posting a bit. Again, I'm sure there are very valid reasons for it, but they still make the effort to be 'one of us'. That, for me, will always carry weight in my purchase decisions.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 08-22-2012 at 12:13. Reason: Fixed "the Pans"
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Banana vs. Soda Can

I find it helps me to visualize the basics shapes.

The shape of a gathered end hammock can be visualized as a banana. As you lie in it, your back and legs will be rounded. The "calf pressure" issue arises from the fact that our knees don't bend in that direction. But proper set-up along with placing something under your knees and/or lying at a slight angle with respect to the suspension axis helps alleviate that problem.

The shape of a bridge hammock can be visualized as a soda can on its side. As you lie in it, your shoulders will roll forward slightly. The "shoulder squeeze" issue arises from the fact that our shoulders only roll forward so much. But a pad in the hammock sleeve and/or lying on your side slightly helps alleviate that problem.

The new WB RR uses a wider spreader bar at one end to increase the diameter at the shoulders which i think will make it more comfortable for a wider range of people than the JRB BMBH.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    What pray tell is a Pan?
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oper8or View Post
    What pray tell is a Pan?
    Peter Pan.
    Trailname of one of the two Jacks R Better folks. Peter Pan & Smee; collectively known as "the Jacks".
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Peter Pan.
    Trailname of one of the two Jacks R Better folks. Peter Pan & Smee; collectively known as "the Jacks".
    Ah thank you. I was wondering "how the heck does cooking come into this??".

On this topic. I have not used any bridge hammocks so I cannot speak on that subject. From my perspective the shorter hammocks (banana) are not the most comfy for me. I'm 5'1 too. Shorter being a 9FT hammock. Now my sons 12FT hammock is awesome. I can lay in that one and sleep for hours. I had to extend the 9FT hammock by eight inches on each end to get it to where I could sleep in it. It wasnt comfy until I did that.

Every person is different. The best suggestion is the one that was given to me. Go to a local hang and ask if you can try one of them out. You'll get their input and get to actually try different ones out. You'll get to see what each person thinks is safe, comfy, and viable. Plus it would benefit any of us to get out there and share ideas. When you see something it might spark an idea that goes viral. You never know.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    To address specifically one of the original poster's questions, what sets the Warbonnet apart from all others
    is the foot box. And the gear shelf. Oh, and the whipping technique... .
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast