Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZooBee View Post
    They said I was over my 30 days(by 5 days) so I can't return it they won't swap it because they don't sell used equipment .They suggested I sell it on ebay but I really don't want to do that. So I'm going to try to overcome my phobia and try increase the air flow into the NA somehow . Has anyone replaced the netting with something with a little more space?
    Hello Zoobee!
    The heat problem is common in all enclosed hammocks and bug proof netting doesn't help.

I carry a 2 person heat-sheet from Adventure Medical with me at all times. It’s very lightweight and compact and it has many uses. Two of those are keep you warm in cold weather and help keep you cooler in warm weather. Simply attach it to the hammock with the four corners using some spare line. I always turn the reflective side up. This blocks the sun and heat and it can be adjusted (east to west movement) by simply using long enough lines that allow them to be loosened and pulled from one side to the other. I also use a small fan to help move air. If it gets really hot I don't hike because I don’t like hot weather hiking and in North Carolina it can get bad with the high humidity.

I too had problems with claustrophobia at first, especially when it's zipped up in cold, windy weather. But, I managed to learn how to deal with it. Now it's not a problem and one way to deal with it is to sleep on your side. Try to keep the canopy set as high and flat as possible. You can also use your hiking poles to keep the head end or one side (of the canopy) up higher if you need to hunker down for a storm.

Once you’ve made the adjustment and have adapted to this new way of sleeping in the outdoors, it’ll no longer be an issue and you’ll wonder how you ever managed before now, especially when everyone’s scrambling for a place to setup a tent and your not.

The next thing you know, it’ll be morning!!!!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    The heat problem is common in all enclosed hammocks and bug proof netting doesn't help.
    Agree. When it's hot and humid I get the same feeling in the Hennessy, so this isn't restricted to the Clark. However, since you can't remove the Clark's pockets, some models will feel hotter on bottom than other hammocks...that same dead air space that keeps you warmer in winter also keeps you warmer in summer.

But being enclosed can suck in all hammocks.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Kalisto
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    One Tigris
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    When I camped the last time I used a Pilate pad my daughter got from graduation I cut the bottom 2 feet off and put them sideways in my hammock around shoulder height.I then put my bag in and laid on top of it. My son has a mattress and I'll try that next time along with a more even hang .Hopefully this will help.

Hammock
    Kalisto
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    One Tigris
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I went to Scoutbase in Tunica Ms. hooked my NA between two trucks. I had my gear in the pockets, I had my pilates pad across my shoulders and down my back. I used my 35 yr old North Face sleeping bag. The temp. got down in the low 40's and I have never been so warm sleeping in my life! I didn't use the weather shield and took off my cap in the night because I was too hot! My son and I camped in similar weather same gear but in a tent and froze back in april. I slept diagonally with my face in the net without any panic attacks.It was great. Had a lot of people come to look at the hammock and may have some converts. Thanks for all your help!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12