Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    One Tigris
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

I have a Problem

I have had my clark na a month.the material around the head gives me claustrophobia and I freak out. Plus it's too hot with the mosquito net closed and the bugs will carry you away down here.I am going to send it back Monday. Do you think a ultralite ortropical would do better and do you think they will swap?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Think real estate's motto: "Location Location Location" on warm (HOT?) days try to find a place that will catch an occasional breeze. This will help cool you AND help keep some of the mosquitos at bay. Also, if you are using a tarp: do you need it for the weather conditions? If so, rig it high & flat to allow the air to circulate more freely. If weather is not a consideration, leave the tarp down or rig so it catches the breeze & aims it at you.

If you are traiding for a hammock with finer mesh netting, you will likely worsen your problem of being too warm.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

I would call them first to discuss your options. They do charge a restocking fee so be sure this is what you want to do.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZooBee View Post
    I have had my clark na a month.the material around the head gives me claustrophobia and I freak out. Plus it's too hot with the mosquito net closed and the bugs will carry you away down here.I am going to send it back Monday. Do you think a ultralite ortropical would do better and do you think they will swap?
    If it is the claustrophobia that is your main concern than the UL will not do it for you as it has no way to remove the material at the head end. However the Tropical does have this feature and it allows you to move it out of the way. It wont really help with air circulation but it may have a more "Out in the Open" feel to it. Agree with the previous poster that it does help to find the right position to hang your kit because it is all about Location, Location, Location.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    May be time to think about a Skeeter Beeter or ENO with a bug net, something light, thin, and wide to get that material away from you.
    Art
    ---------------
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    ---Swami Vivekananda

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Think real estate's motto: "Location Location Location" on warm (HOT?) days try to find a place that will catch an occasional breeze.
    I agree with Doctari about the location. I took my Skeeter Beeter Pro with me yesterday on a little dayhike. The temp got a little warmer than I was expecting, I found a nice little shaded area set up the hammock and took a nice nap. It actually felt nice because where I was set up I had a nice little breeze.
    Chris

Hammock
    Kalisto
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    One Tigris
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

I talked to clark today

They said I was over my 30 days(by 5 days) so I can't return it they won't swap it because they don't sell used equipment .They suggested I sell it on ebay but I really don't want to do that. So I'm going to try to overcome my phobia and try increase the air flow into the NA somehow . Has anyone replaced the netting with something with a little more space?

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Have you tried using an inflatable pad in it? I ask because I really don't like the way a hammock closes in on me without a pad but with one I feel there is a lot more room around me and the sides are not pressing in on me. It looks like I have to use some kind of pad to enjoy a hammock. You might try some of the uninsulated types in warmer weather. I use the wider ones that give me plenty of shoulder room and keep the netting/fabric out of my face.

I'll add that I get better results with the ones that are made up of vertical tubes. The flat Thermarest pads all seem to kink and buckle in uncomfortable ways with the curves that the hammock tries to force them into.

As far as the mesh..... I have never been in anything that was both bug-proof and allowed small breezes to circulate into well. Even my tent got stuffy in a hurry if it was warm out and the air was still.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    That's just wrong, not taking your hammock back. Sorry to hear that. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Quote Originally Posted by ZooBee View Post
    I experienced similar problems at first with my NX-200 even though the NX-200 is bigger than the NA. Try hanging the head-end a little higher. The instructions make it sound like you have to hang the foot-end really high. It's true that the foot-end should be higher than the head-end, but too high and you'll end up with your head in that tight corner before the night's over. Also, a pad helps to keep an more open shape when you're zipped up. Finally, be sure the little black line holding up the head-end is tied at a moderate angle. If it's parallel to the ground, or close to it, it will reduce head room and make the body close in a bit.

As for heat, I experience the same problem. The Clark does well at keeping you warm. Night-time temps above 70* plus humidity can be stifling inside. This bothered me at first until I recalled similar nights in a tent. It didn't make me any cooler, but it kept me in the hammock.

Don't despair, ZooBee. Clarks have a learning curve. Everybody told me that when I was ready to give up. I had problems and thanks to folks on this and the Yahoo forum, I've been working through them. I'm now doing mods, which is the sign of a happy hammocker. I still have problems to work out (and there's really no solution for a hot hammock), but my hope is you'll find the answers.

- Chris

Last edited by Three; 10-09-2008 at 10:00. Reason: added signature (oops)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast