Just did the first test hangout of my DIY single suspension point hammock (bat hammock). Not quite as comfortable as a standard hammock but I think I can get used to it.
Why - to be able to sleep high in the trees. Must be way easier to find a tree canopy suitable for single than for dual suspension.
Anyone here hanging high? Any tips for a newbie?
Things learned in the first tree:
- Bring a haul line. Easier to climb without gear.
- Get hammock setup as ready as possible on the ground. It's way tougher up there.
- Don't drop anything. Few biners and cord loops could be handy.
- I used standard climbing harness and via ferrata set to secure myself. Ultralight sling harness without any gear loops would be easier with all the branches.
- I'm gonna bring a small saw blade to cut the small sharp branch stubs at hammock level, legal or not. (talking about finger sized stuff)
Why high in the trees?
- Thrill, scenery, maybe spotting wildlife.