WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
    Since hammock socks have been mentioned, I got to wondering. If you're out in the cold where liquid precipitation is not a concern, does one use a hammock sock instead of a tarp? I presume a water-resistant sock or overcover would do just fine to keep the night's snowfall off.

Edit: Did some more thinking, maybe making the sock out of a truly waterproof-breathable material like eVent would work best as it would keep condensation from building up inside and still keep snow/meltwater out of the hammock. eVent isn't readily available so maybe something like Epic or a breathable DWR-finished fabric like Pertex would be sufficient.
    Fourdog has a cotton sock that is windproof, breathable and when wet the fibers swell they close together and become water resistant. Molly Mac Gear makes them.
    Last edited by Beast 71; 08-23-2012 at 20:05.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I'm not very experienced but I wouldn't attempt your scenarios without a quality 0 degree down under quilt; preferably a full length and maybe a "sleeve" on top of that to protect it from the bottom. Then I'd want a tarp like the Warbonnet Mamajama (SP?) with door kit. Just the thought of messing with pads or bags sounds like the gate way to a miserable night and let's face it; at that temperature it can actually be dangerous depending on how far it is to bail out.

Just my two cents; avoid those scenarios until you have the right gear and don't try to "work around" the expensive stuff.

I tried pads like so many of us do/have but I should have figured out that the best/right/efficient way to stay warm is with a good underquilt. I'm slow on the uptake but usually get there eventually

Gideon

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    I have found that the insulation below you is the most important insulation. In the winter I will use an Under Quilt Protector (UQP) on the outside of my underquilt. I have also used a pad and a under quilt or a combination of stacked under quilts if one does not cut it.

I usually make sure my tarp has a steep pitch to block the wind and that I can close the doors on the end that the wind would most affect, if not both doors. With snow on the ground I make sure to pile it up as high as possible near the bottom of your tarp, to act as a wind break.

I have used what I term a Top Quilt Protector to block the wind or hold in extra heat when in extrem weather, but that was at the Frozen Butt Hang. Normally I just make sure to carry an extra top quilt or wear extra cloths to bed to compensate, if my quilt is not rated to the correct temp, you'll be surprised how warm you will be. I also make sure to wear a hat when I sleep.

Surprisingly the best thing I can recommend for staying warm at night is to have a good hardy meal a short time before you lie down. This is like turning on a furnace.

Shug's videos are full of great ideas. And I second testing things out in your yard. It will be surprising what you learn by doing this. It will also raise your confidence level to know that it can be done. And second benefit of sleeping out in your back yard...your neighbors will think your crazy.:lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234