Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Let's talk about winter weather in this thread

Now, I don't really have a specific question here. I've just never done a long hike in winter weather, and the thought of getting caught in a 10degF or below storm is a little scary to me. I'm also very new to hammocks, and uncertain how to camp when there aren't trees around.

I'm thinking the Southern winter while backpacking, not alpine or Maine in January.

How do you guys handle the "worst case" scenarios? I'm most afraid of these two situations:

Stormy and windy, snow, around 10degF. With and without available trees.
    Stormy and windy, freezing rain, around ~25degF. With and without available trees.

So far, this is all I have: DIY 3-layer IX UQ, 12'x12' GG tarp, a good 10degF sleeping bag for TQ, a whoppie-sling suspension set-up, and a simple gathered end hammock.

I'm thinking of making a hammock sock as well, but I haven't found a good tutorial on here. Is there one that I've overlooked? And is a hammock sock that essential for these temperatures? Or would I be just fine like I am, if I added some kind of pad or space blanket to the set-up.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post

How do you guys handle the "worst case" scenarios? I'm most afraid of these two situations:

Stormy and windy, snow, around 10degF. With and without available trees.
    Stormy and windy, freezing rain, around ~25degF. With and without available trees.

So far, this is all I have: DIY 3-layer IX UQ, 12'x12' GG tarp, a good 10degF sleeping bag for TQ, a whoppie-sling suspension set-up, and a simple gathered end hammock.
    Part of your two scenarios above is resolved easily by hiking in areas that have suitable trees to hang your hammock. (I know smart *** answer, but it's true). If you stick to the Appalachian Trail you shouldn't have a problem finding places to hang your hammock.

I think your 3 Layer IX underquilt is not up to the task for 10F temperatures. So I would add a pad or upgrade your insulation to a 0F winter underquilt. Your tarp and sleeping bag should be fine for your situation depending if you sleep warm or cold.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    The one thing I am concerned about at this moment with my setup is the fact that I dont have an UQ. I'd make one but I dont have the cash at the moment. I do have a thermarest pad though. I guess worse case I could pack another sleeping bag and use it under the pad. But yuck, adding 3-4lbs of sleeping bag plus extra clothes.. will not make the back happy at all. I've cut my weight considerably since joining the forums and watching a ton of youtube vids. Its been little things that made a big change.

Other than normal hammock stuff, what else should we prepare ourselves for? I mean extra clothes is a given, but how do you deal with below 30 temps when hiking? I know adding layers is best because you can take off what you dont need. I think I'm looking for good general advice on this as it will be my first time as an adult out hanging in the cold. When I was a kid I didnt care. Just pack a tent, sleeping bag, and some canned cheese and go.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    oper8or, use the thermarest and get yourself a blue ccf walmart pad (NOT the waffle/egg crate one). They are quite light and amazing insulators in the hammock. Cut the blue pad so that it will fit width-wise (from your shoulders down) and lay your thermarest on top of it. The extra piece that is left can be used for your feet, or cut into two pieces to be used at other strategic places depending on how you sleep (read: lay in the hammock).

When hiking, you will generate heat to keep warm so don't load up on clothing/jackets. They will get soaked in sweat. A light knit hat and gloves are a great way to regulate your temp while hiking without having to deal with overheating with jackets and long underwear which are a pain to take on/off. Keep a windbreaker in the top or side pocket of your pack for easy access for breaks. Use the extra piece of ccf (from first paragraph) as a sit pad during these breaks. You need to stay dry. Overheating and sweating is just as bad as rain for getting soaked. If it unavoidable (My back gets soaked even at subzero temps with just a baselayer), have dry clothes to change into immediately at camp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Before going out on a longer trip, some winter car camping trips are a good idea or at least a backyard hang if possible. It lets you test out your gear and there is always the bail out of leaving. Just this past January I had to bail on a trip when the weather turned colder than I was prepared for. It even helps to just do a day trip. The main thing is to go out and test yourself and you gear in a relatively safe setting for a shorter time before going further afield for days.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    First and foremost in winter is STAY DRY. Outside and inside your clothing.

I wear highly breathable layers with a rain proof outter shell. When I notice that I am getting even the slightest bit warm I can unzip my shell and ventilate quickly to keep myself from sweating.

You will be surprised how thin you can keep your layering while moving and stay perfectly warm.

As for getting stuck without trees, 10*f and driving wind...my friend and I dug a cave. We ended up sleeping at around 40*f. BUT, by that time we were wearing heavy winter gear.The biggest lesson I learned on that trip was don't go there in the winter.

Hammock
    Danger bird
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    Incubator /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap

Shug did it

Use ur extra sleeping bag like a pod like shug. You could sew yourself a hole with some stretchy border at the end of the bag to hug the webbing or whoopie.

I also twist and wrap my tarp at the edges and make a makeshift winter sock out of my tarp when the weather has left me I'll equipped. That should preserve 8-10 degrees for you as well--assuming ur tarp is big enough.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    I'm a cold weather camper in Va myself! Good base layers to wear at camp along with a down coat and down booties will help eminsley ! ( down booties are really inexpensive )
    Try using some Reflectives (lowes or Home Depot) you can use a hole punch and put a few holes to keep from sweating ! We did a 9* trip last winter and I had my 20* sleeping bag and a 3/4 WB yeti UQ with my Reflectives and I was fine!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Another 2 cents ! You can also make a vapor barrier out of underlayment ! I had some left over after laying my laminate floors and rigged it under my UQ and it provided 10* extra warmth!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    behappy, winter socks are wonderful things, and easy to make. Here's some info:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast