Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images

Question Backpacker UL-Side zip vs. bottom opening

Can anyone comment on the pros or cons of the two different opening types available on the HH backpacker UL? I'm stuck on this one, and hearing personal accounts might be helpful to me. For the record, I'm 5'8", 175 lb, no back or mobility issues. Primary use will be solo backpacking. Thanks in advance...Pete

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    If you plan on getting a under quilt I would go with the side zip. I had a bottom entry Hennessy and found I was somewhat limited.

I also found that on really hot days the bottom entry would get hot inside, and all I wanted to do was open my bug net and let the breeze in. I also couldn't cook break fast in bed if I so choose.

But then again you could always get a 2qzq mod and have the best of both worlds.

One thing I did like, however, was the fact I could quickly escape the hordes of mosquitoes that Maine gets plagued with.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Had a zip hammock for many years from the jungle hammock to a few others and I found that the Hennessey with the bottom opening is a super concept.

I haven't used the Hennessey bottom opening all that much yet but from what I've seen and what I've experienced I like it better. I've very rarely had the zipper in the mosquito netting open as the bugs are always biting so having a non-opening mosquito net is not an issue for me.

I prefer the classic entry (bottom) because it makes it possible for me to hammock - physical limitations make it difficult at best, dangerous at least to have a zip where I have to get up and over the edge of the hammock AND still stay in it, plus be able to get out of it - with the classic, all i have to do is hang it high enough that the bottom of the entry is no higher than a chair. That way all i do is open it up and sit down to get in, and i have a pull cord in the fwd/aft sections so i can pull myself in/out and i use this to pull myself up to stand up
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i have a zip and all i can say is you read about alot of people sending their bottom entry to ZQ2Q for the zipper mod, but don't see many people wanting to add a bottom mod to their zip

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    i have a zip and all i can say is you read about alot of people sending their bottom entry to ZQ2Q for the zipper mod, but don't see many people wanting to add a bottom mod to their zip

boot
    ZQ here...Actually we have has several people buy the stock zip hammock, and then e-mail us to ask if we could put in a bottom entry. Unfortunately for them, we don't offer that service.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    I have a HH Safari bottom entry which I just sent to 2QZQ for the Mod 4 and to have the bottom entry closed. For me, the only reason I had the bottom entry sewed up was that I never could get comfortable w/my legs over the Velcro seam. There was always a pressure point no matter my position. It really didn't hinder my sleep, but just seemed like something I would rather not have. Other than that for me the bottom is a good feature, but one I decided to try and live w/out. I now sleep w/my head and shoulders over the sewn up entry. As I hoped, that has completely eliminated my problem. Also, I like the flexibility of bug net or no bug net. It opens up lots of options.

One more comment. You can't go wrong doing business w/2QZQ. Excellent work, reasonable pricing and a pleasure to get to know. Hope to meet them in person one day.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Go for the mod.....

Ditto on the advice so far. On my Explorer UL and my son's Expedition I had the 2QZQ mod 3. This gives me the best of both worlds. Hennessy uses kind of an oversized and clunky zipper. 2QZQ uses a much thinner/lighter/better model.

You have the option of having the bottom sewn shut when you have the mod done. I figure having the bottom entry is a good think in the unlikely event of a zipper failure. It's also the faster way in/out in really buggy weather.

While you're at it.....they also make some really nice organizers and other accessories

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    The plus of the bottom entry is that you can run your tarp very tight to the hammock.. and get into the hammock without brushing the sides of the tarp .. summer time in Fla.. means lots of condensation
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I like the bottom entry for a faster entrance and exit with a bug net. I just don't think I could deal with a zippered bug net at that 3:00am nature call. The bottom entry does present challenges with underquilts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast