Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Probably 15# with no water but he really just does not have that much gear.

His big 4 or hammock 4 are not bad.
    Tarp 12oz
    Pack 16oz
    Compactor bag 2oz
    Nano hammock and suspension probably 16oz
    Top bag 19oz
    UQ 20oz

Thats 5#5oz

Cook kit probably 5-6 oz
    Water probably tablets so next to nothing.
    Cheap poncho weighs a few oz.
    His everyday stuff looks like 8 oz or so.
    Silk johns are maybe 10 oz
    Vest 6 oz
    Socks 4-5oz
    Book ?

He just does not have a lot of gear so figure all his other stuff puts him at 10# Base.
    Add 5# of food. Sounds doable but the equipment is really skimpy and not a lot of room for error. I dont think I would feel safe with just a vest or maybe I missed something.

I did not see him carrying any water but I am sure he had some somewhere.
    Maybe I missed it.

There is a guy over at BPL, a grounder, that did a super light thru maybe a year or two ago. No cook, very SUL, Climashield quilt etc. I think his base pack was 9#. It was pretty impressive.

Hammock
    eno DN, DB60, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    All of them!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    How did he upload his videos to the internet. Cant figure that one out totally unless he used computers at the hotels he stayed at or did he have a smart phone etc ?? There is one part where he is at a hotel and talking about uploading to YT.
    Not certain about the rest of your questions but I remember from one of his posted videos that he has a small laptop that he would send ahead to post offices. Once he retrieved his laptop, he could upload videos using wifi.

Thats a good idea. I was wondering.

Still cant figure out the camera batteries, unless he just did not take that much footage and conserved. Considering the amount of time on the trail its not a lot of footage that is considering he used most of what he shot.

Camera batteries and no Bug net still has me baffled.

Hammock
    eno DN, DB60, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    All of them!
    Images
    Now that I've had time to think about it, I believe he bought the camera because it operates on AA or AAA batteries. That works well since the batteries may be used elsewhere.

I was thinking that too - IE AA batteries.
    A camera that takes AA batteries would be perfect because you would never have to charge them, no charger to carry etc. Dead just buy some more.

He did say he carried extra batteries somewhere in a video.
    Probably the camera and radio both use the same which would make sense.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    Hey tammons,
    I have a Cannon Powershot A490 that I use for all my backpacking trips. I bought it specifically because it runs on AA batteries. There are a few other brands/models out there that do so too. Most of them are really basic as far as features go, but mine does 10MP pics and takes decent video too. If you use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries then you are even better off. They last about 4x longer that regular alkaline and they weigh about 2/3 of what an alkaline AA does (0.6oz vs 1oz).
    I was also wondering how he was uploading all this to YT. The uploading didn't confuse me as much as the editing. You could upload from any computer, but editing would take certain software that you'd have to download everytime (I'm sure some public computers have restrictions on doing that). So thanks for answering that CrazyMike, thats a pretty clever idea.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I just finished my thru hike of the AT last week.

I never used repellent.
    I never used sun block.
    I did not use a filter nor drops. This caused quite a bit of controversy, so I didn't advertise.
    I went with Andrew Skurka's advice, plus I have lived off of a glacial cistern for 20 years.

I did have a Hennessey HyperLite.
    I used an UQ in GA, but I then sent it home.

I used only my i-phone.
    I uploaded when I had wi fi to YouTube and embedded the vids.
    I tried a Power Monkey, but they sent me a replacement when I got home. Go figure.

Honestly, I only know of one other hiker who went ultra-light ( 16 pounds) and he admittedly said it was stupid. I saw no reason to go so light. Especially when it snowed twice.

www.trailjournals.com/twoisles

I had over 230 thousand hits. Pretty sure I journaled some interesting aspects.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Dutch Custom NylonD 1.6 Dbl Layer
    Tarp
    Monster Fly 10x12'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Like these videos a lot and just goes to show you dont need a bunch of stuff if you are just walking.

How did he upload his videos to the internet. Cant figure that one out totally unless he used computers at the hotels he stayed at or did he have a smart phone etc ?? There is one part where he is at a hotel and talking about uploading to YT.

What camera and How did he charge his camera. He is moving along and making some miles and using a lot of camera time.
    Seems like he would need a lot of charge time.

Did he carry a smart phone cell phone etc ??
    Actually I messaged him on youtube about this and here is the reply he gave me.

"I have filmed a little vid about the camera I have but I need to do a little thing about the computer. I mail a laptop ahead of me to where I think I'll spend a hotel night to edit and load. Sometimes it takes all night.

The camera is a simple Nikon Easy Pix from Wal Mart that costs around $100."

Video #96 is the tech video where he explains how he does all his video stuff.
    Must spend a lot of time at stops working on videos.

I did a car tour of the AT a while back with a 4x5 film camera, and all I did at night was swap out film and prep for the next day, usually while exhausted.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I kept a journal on Postholer using my smartphone to upload text and pictures. It was a real hassle!!!! In reality it was one of my least favorite parts of my hike and I would not do it again. I probably would keep a journal again but only take pics with a regular camera and update the journal when I had access to a full sized computer. I am glad have the jounal and still enjoy looking at it. it's at www.postholer.com under hiker name Miguel if you care to read it.

There is another journal site out there where you can call in to a voice recorder and it saves it to an audio journal. That would actually be pretty easy....not sure if you could also upload pics. As we all know....pics are worth a thousand words.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast