Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch

Your favorite places to hang in Florida

I came across this article from Backpacker about one of the best beach camping in the U.S. is in the Everglades.

http://www.backpacker.com/august-201...n=newsletter01
    (does anybody know if there are any places to hang here?)

Anyways, it got me thinking...I wonder how many good places to hang and hike, in Florida that I dont know about......

What are your favorites?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've only done one Everglades hike and it was too hot, too wet, and had way too many bugs. I'll stick with the fall/winter hikes in the Ocala areas or any of the Withlacoochee Tracts here in central FL.

my fav? ...easy...my house... there's free air conditioning...
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    In the winter, on the water's edge, between a couple sturdy palms. Theres nothing else like it. This picture is from lake seminole in pinellas county, FL

with two m's, like "hammock."

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    SWFWMD has a great site http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/ Some are just hikes others have hanging also. And then the DOF has a lot of land to wander around on http://www.floridaforestservice.com/...ion/index.html. samsara has also been hosting hangs on the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest https://sites.google.com/site/flhangers/ Then there is the 3rd Annual Florida Hang in Ocala in January you don't won't miss http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55735. These will give you plenty to consider.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    you cant hike there but here in orlando we have the wakiva river that you can canoe down. you can launch at wakiwa springs and paddle up and turn towards rock springs a ways and there are lots of places to hang along the bank that are really nice. went a few weekends ago

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    These are some great places. As soon as the weather starts to cool, I'm ready to start going out for overnighters and weekend trips...maybe even some small group hangs? lol

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Places I've enjoyed:

Ichetucknee Springs Campground: it's not on the actual springs, but it's an easy ride up from Gainesville on the bike and is a gorgeously-kept campground. They're hanger-friendly, as well, and have sites for as low as $10 a night. They're only about an half-mile from the north end of the park, where the actual springs are located.

Black Creek Ravines Conservation Area: free, as part of the St. John's Water Management District. Has some nice hiking, a water source right there, multiple trees to hang from, and a nice little swimming hole on the creek only about an half-mile from camp. Great place to hang, and another easy ride up from Gainesville.

Anastasia State Park: has some of the nicest beaches I've stayed at, though I've yet to hang there (the pilot program hadn't started when I'd last stayed there). Gorgeous area, lots of history within easy biking (or even hiking) distance in the downtown area of St. Augustine, and all of the amenities that come with a state park. A not-so-easy ride from Gainesville.

Ocala National Forest: especially the Juniper Prairie area. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I enjoy hiking there during the off-season (read: "When it's ten million degrees outside,") since I can be alone in the woods. Make sure you bring enough water here, though; you'll need three to five liters in certain parts of the forest along the FL Trail.

Anyway, there are more places I've been, but those stand out as the highlights so far.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts