Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Reflective emergency blanket

I have the Hennessey Explorer deluxe and I just purchased the Fourseasons undercover. I added the reflective blanket and I cannot believe how much heat that it puts off, it's almost like a space heater underneath me. It's only 65 for the high today in Seattle, so I thought I'd try it out and it's almost too warm with that reflective blanket underneath.

I thought the mat was going to be a pain and interfere with the getting into the hammock. Since you sleep at a diagonal anyway it's very easy to get in you just can't move around and expect your feet to be fully covered unless you reach down and move the mat which I don't do and haven't done today. It just because it makes it so much easier to get in and out. I like the overall system. A winner.

shut the front door! i ordered one today for that EXACT same reason just to test it out to see how it'd do. too funny!

Lol.

In fact I'm on my iPad laying in the backyard testing out new configurations and typing on the forum and wearing shorts and a T-shirt and a little too warm and just looked at the thermometer and it's 62. Can I use the "And" more in a paragraph? :-)

Hammock
    undecided
    Tarp
    zpacks
    Insulation
    supershelter
    Suspension
    whoopie dutch hook
    I use one that I have sewn channels for shock cord as a ultralight underquilt for summer hangs. Has held up surprisingly well.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Some folks hate the HHSS (Supershelter), and some love it.

My son Weasel and I have had some pretty good success with ours. We've been out on nights down to 22* F with some decent 20-30mph winds, and this was our primary under-insulation.

I'm curious if you noticed any condensation on top of the space blanket?

I slept overnight in the hammock in the backyard. I checked for condensation in the morning, there was none.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Some folks hate the HHSS (Supershelter), and some love it.

My son Weasel and I have had some pretty good success with ours. We've been out on nights down to 22* F with some decent 20-30mph winds, and this was our primary under-insulation.

I'm curious if you noticed any condensation on top of the space blanket?
    I remain strangely fascinated with the HHSS system, which is what I started with, after all these years. Despite the fact that I have sone very high quality down and Climashield UQs and pods that I rate very highly, there is something oddly appealing about the old HHSS. So, Owl, at that windy 22F, were you using just what I call the basic system- one space blanket, one HH pad and the UC, or did you have something else- like unworn insulation stuffer under the pad? And what about you: have you had much condensation?

Quote Originally Posted by vstrom View Post
    I slept overnight in the hammock in the backyard. I checked for condensation in the morning, there was none.
    So Vstrom, in your testing where you were amazed at the warmth, are you using the HHSS with space blanket/HH pad and UC, or just UC and space blanket?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    ThreeD and I used our HHSS last weekend with just the undercover and pad, no space blanket. Got down to about 48 it was perfect.

I slept with a t shirt, and jeans on put my hoodie under my knees and woke up about 3 AM cause I had to use the facilities when I crawled back in I pulled the sleeping bag, that had been over my legs and part of my large stomach, up over my chest as well. Woke with the sun warm and toasty. Couldn't have been more comfortable even with the five to ten mile an hour shifting breeze. We didn't deploy the tarps so we could stare at the stars.

It was a perfect night. I was going to look for condensation but about the time we finished breakfast a shower rolled in and we had to break camp with a mist falling so can't say if there had been any condensation though without the space blanket I have never had any condensation so would assume that was the case this time as well.

huauqui
    Last edited by huauqui; 08-24-2012 at 22:34. Reason: addition

Hh Undercover, hh pad, space blanket. Inside I had a poncho liner. I wore shorts and a T-shirt.

Btw I don't have an under-quilt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast