Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Question Keeping my Cuben Tarp Light

I am working on finishing setting up my new cuben tarp.

Originally, set it up like this:
    1) Primary Ridgd Suspension. 2.2mm Zing-it and the small aluminum NiteIze Figure 9s.

2) "Corner" tie outs. Short Klemheist on 4' of NiteIze reflective cord (2.5 mm) and 6" of 1/16" shock cord. Total weight for this setup is 0.3 oz each (x4).

3) Rolled tarp door clips (for keeping the doors open and out of the way). Small plastic clips, weighing 0.3 oz each (x4).

4) Door ties (to stake out closed in "storm" mode). None currently.

5) Side pull outs. None currently.

New setup (to improve funtionality and lighten weight:
    1) Primary Ridgd Suspension. Replaced 2.2mm Zing-it with 1.75mm Zing-it. Replaced NiteIze aluminum Figure 9s with plastic Kelty figure 9s from Noah's tarp. Total savings weight savings of 0.5 oz. Amended: I intend to swap out Figure 9s for Dutch Tarp Flyz (no weight savings but added strength over plastic)

2) "Corner" tie outs. No change, I am happy with this setup.

3) Rolled tarp door clips (for keeping the doors open and out of the way). Looking for ideas
    4) Door ties (to stake out closed in "storm" mode). Looking for ideas

5) Side pull outs. Looking for ideas

Total weight of Cuben Tarp (in n stuff sack without door clips clips): 9.3 oz

I am really looking for some ideas on lighweight side pull outs and door closures (maybe to double as openers?). I have this idea of having the door pulls going to the same stake which secures the opposite corner. Is this practical? I have not yet had the chance to try this. If this is done, can these door pulls be used to secure the door in the "open" position as well? What is the most practical way to tie or clip these to the pull outs?

Any ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by Buffalo Skipper; 08-23-2012 at 21:55.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Why not use more 1/16" shock cord for the door tie outs? That works pretty well.

The 1.2mm Tech Line from DIY Gear Supply would work well for your side pull outs. I started using this all-round on my cuben tarp, to keep everything as minimal as possible.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    NeoAir, UQ, Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Similar setup

I have a similar setup as far as the materials used I think. My solution for the doors was to larkshead a piece of shockcord to the tieout on one door and then attach it to the other door on the same side of the hammock with a soft shackle. When I need to deploy the doors, I just release some of the tension in the tarp until the shockcord goes slack, unhook the soft shackle on each side and run the shockcord through it's corresponding tie out on the same end of the hammock. I also have a WBBB so I can sacrifice the two stakes for that and use them for the doors on the tarp instead when needed. I can post pics if you're interested, but I'm sure others here are using a similar setup. I haven't used the panel pulls on my tarp yet, so I'm afraid I'm no help there.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I did this also to my HG 4 seaosn tarp for the door tie-ups. (To keep them rolled up when they are not needed, ie; most of the time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTNWEj6cdsc

It's quite neet and easy to do. Just means when they are tied up it's all quite taunt. I got better results from this method than tieing the doors from the same side together or diagonal doors off etc. I placed the tie-off so when the doors are rolled up there is like a small 2-3" cat cut to the edge. Like I said it's nice and taunt.

I have some pictures but they are on my thumb drive at work... no help there for the weekend.
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Why not use more 1/16" shock cord for the door tie outs? That works pretty well.

The 1.2mm Tech Line from DIY Gear Supply would work well for your side pull outs. I started using this all-round on my cuben tarp, to keep everything as minimal as possible.
    how does that compare to the braided mason line that some folks use on their tarps?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    how does that compare to the braided mason line that some folks use on their tarps?
    It's about half the diameter of the mason line (estimated from feel). The coating is a bit more slick as well so it doesn't tend to snag or tangle as much.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

angrysparrow, sorry, that link took me to Amsteel Blue, and I appear to be having problem navigating that site. Can you please post a link directly to the Tech Line?

Also what sources can anyone offer for small shock cord? I have a small amount of the 1/16" but am intersted if there are some specific products others are using that are that size or smaller.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The link is to their cording page, you just have to scroll down. No way to link to just the Tech Line.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    angrysparrow, sorry, that link took me to Amsteel Blue, and I appear to be having problem navigating that site. Can you please post a link directly to the Tech Line?

Also what sources can anyone offer for small shock cord? I have a small amount of the 1/16" but am intersted if there are some specific products others are using that are that size or smaller.
    Scroll to the bottom....it lies there.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Doh!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast