Ring buckle method alteration for my Claytor

I am new to hammocks but I just decided to incorporate a ring buckle suspension on my Claytor Jungle Hammock. I am a little weary about attaching a cord to the end of my hammock using a larkshead.

My idea is as follows:

1) Using 4 ft of 1 inch seat belt webbing from Strapworks to go through the channel at the end of the hammock where the current webbing goes. This webbing comes with loops on both ends to which I would attach a carabiner.

2) I would attach the carabiner to the 2 descending rings.

3) Then I would attach another say 10ft piece of webbing to the tree with another carabiner and thread the webbing through the descending rings.

Basically I would be replacing the cord with 4 ft of webbing and instead of using a knot to attach it to the rings I would use a carabiner.

I am I missing something here. I prefer this method because I prefer using the channel that already exists for the webbing on my hammock. And I prefer using a carabiner instead of a knot to attach the webbing to the rings.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    here is a pic of my claytor jungle i took today on ponderosa island,good pic showing my ring buckle set up and my arrow shaft net spreaders.neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11
    the matrix has you

Neo

My question was do you think my idea would work ie using webbing instead of cord threaded through the existing channel and attached with a carabiner to the 2 rings?

by the way I carry everything on my motorcycle so the weight penalty doesn't worry me. I just want to make sure I am not doing something that won't work before I order.

Cheers

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cshama View Post
    Neo

My question was do you think my idea would work ie using webbing instead of cord threaded through the existing channel and attached with a carabiner to the 2 rings?
    i use doubled 4 mil.climbing line,it is very easy to use,very strong.i myself would not use webbing neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    If you look at the various ring buckle arrangements people here talk about, it is always cord in a lark's head or prusik knot that pinches the rings on one side---sort of makes a hinge that ensures that the _other_ side of the rings pinch also when the webbing is threaded through and under tension.

I don't see that that will necessarily happen if you clip webbing to the rings with a biner. That said, I think that motorcycle helmets frequent have these dual ring arrangements and the back sides of the rings are just in a sewn webbing loop, not pinched so hard. But still, in your case with only a biner holding it I think it would be likely not to tighten up on the webbing side.

Come to think of it, there was a thread about this...let me do a little searching..ah ha! How could I forget...post #14 is the punchline you want to see.

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cshama View Post
    I am new to hammocks but I just decided to incorporate a ring buckle suspension on my Claytor Jungle Hammock. I am a little weary about attaching a cord to the end of my hammock using a larkshead.

My idea is as follows:

1) Using 4 ft of 1 inch seat belt webbing from Strapworks to go through the channel at the end of the hammock where the current webbing goes. This webbing comes with loops on both ends to which I would attach a carabiner.

2) I would attach the carabiner to the 2 descending rings.

3) Then I would attach another say 10ft piece of webbing to the tree with another carabiner and thread the webbing through the descending rings.

Basically I would be replacing the cord with 4 ft of webbing and instead of using a knot to attach it to the rings I would use a carabiner.

I am I missing something here. I prefer this method because I prefer using the channel that already exists for the webbing on my hammock. And I prefer using a carabiner instead of a knot to attach the webbing to the rings.
    Keep in mind that if you replace the stock webbing with 4 feet of webbing going to carabiners, when used with the long Claytor hammock, then your carabiner is probably going to be outside of most tarps, exposed to rain. Which might hinder it's water blocking abilities, that is, ruin it's ability to keep water from wicking down the webbing into the hammock. The biner( or rings or a cinch buckle) needs to be under the tarp.

My friend cut the stock Claytor webbing into a long piece and a short piece. Then the short piece went through the webbing, with a bowline on each end, then a biner through both bowlines. Then a knot in the long piece of webbing for/at the tree end of the biner( could be another bowline), then webbing around the tree and back to the biner and attached with 2 slippery half hitches just as described at the Claytor web site. Worked great, quick and efficient. Though not quite as quick and efficient as a cinch buckle.

But I see no reason why you could not run webbing through your channel, if it will fit. After all, the original stock Claytor has what is called webbing, though it is not very wide.

Images
    you guy's are on it tonite.

i agree with grizz and bb. i would like to add to what bb said. you will need several feet to get through the chanel, this leaves the rings far from the hammock. they should be as close as possible to the end of the hammock for when the trees are really close together.

if you don't want to tie any knots or do any sewing, do what shadowmass does. go to rei in the climbing section and buy a short runner. (made by black diamond and others) it's 11/16" dyneema webbing sewn into a loop/circle. buy the smallest one (8" perhaps) and larks head your hardware with one end and your hammock with the other. (you will need a runner for each end of the hammock obviously)

in order to larks head your hammock, you must create an end mass. easiest way for you is to use the webbing that's in there, cinch it tight and wrap it down below a couple times, tie it off, cut off the excess.

Well as rash as I am I bought everything I need to get my project done. So I guess I will find out the hard way. I will report on what happens.

The advantage to the whole thing is that apart from the security knot after the rings there are no knots to deal with- which I might appreciate if I am rushing to set up

• + New Posts