Thread: Zip or classic?

Hammock
    Cave Creek Hammock (Hexon 1.0)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Huggers

Zip or classic?

I am considering a Hennessy for my first hammock (probably explorer deluxes).

If I go the way of the Hennessy, the next step would be to choose whether to get the classic or the zip.

Does the zip add any protection from bugs and such, or does it just complicate things? What are your experiences?

Thanks,
    Steven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Personally, I would go with the classic bottom-entry model. I would then immediately send it off the 2QZQ and have a zipper mod done. The cost is really minimal for the quality of work that will be returned to you. As an added bonus, you have both the zippered-entry and the bottom-entry.

The bottom-entry has its advantages. In a truly bug infested area, the bottom-entry will be your friend. It allows fewer bugs to get into the hammock with you compared to a side-entry. Not that it isn't enjoyable to spend a few minutes killing mosquitoes in your hammock, but too many and it just becomes time consuming.

I'm a fan of their #4 mod and have it on one of my Deep Jungles. I need to remember to send off one of my Explorers to have the same thing done, so I can have the benefit of a bottom or zipped entry hammock.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    No better, no worse for bug protection. I have had both. The bottom entry is a slight hassle to get in and out keeping quilts, pad in place. With the zip model you can adjust things more easy or reach things outside the hammock with minimial bug exposure.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Never tried the classic, but my friend has one and he wants a zip. I'm running a zip and it is very nice. It's more convenient to sit in, in chair mode, AND you can store your stuff in the hammock more easily when you're not in it. It's also easier to get into.

The downside is that you have a potential failure mode in the zipper, but if you're careful I doubt you'll ever have a problem with it. It's a pretty beefy zipper. (At least on the HH Hyperlite)

Edit: Never had a problem with bugs on the zip either. When they were REALLY thick, I just moved away until they followed me, then I ran back and hopped in before they could catch me.

Hammock
    HH Exp Deluxe / DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Get the Zip

I have the Hennessy with the classic entry. Once you get in they are OK and definetly keep the bugs out. The thing I dont particular like is once you get in there is a pretty good dance going on while you try to get the bag over you and the sleeping pad under you. I wrenched my neck once trying to get everything in place. If you were to use an UQ that would help out quite a bit.

I just picked up a Trek Light that has no screen and the entry is WAY easier. So I will be adding a zipper soon to the Hennessy.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If getting the standard HH tarp, which hugs the outline of the hammock, then get the classic. Have the zip mod done at some point when you decide to use a bigger tarp with more room to enter from the top. Or get the zip if you plan to use the hex tarp or something similar. Might consider getting the classic anyway and then doing the mod so you have it both ways. That's what I would do.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    If getting the standard HH tarp, which hugs the outline of the hammock, then get the classic. Have the zip mod done at some point when you decide to use a bigger tarp with more room to enter from the top. Or get the zip if you plan to use the hex tarp or something similar. Might consider getting the classic anyway and then doing the mod so you have it both ways. That's what I would do.
    Good points here. I forgot how wet I'd get with the Zip and asym tarp combo. Deff a better set up for the asym tarp to go the bottom entry. It makes for a long rain storm under an asym tarp too. Not much room under there with the hammock deployed. I used to pitch real low and use one of the hammock body tieouts and pull the hammock to one side.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts