View Poll Results: Where would you like to hang?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Creek Ravines WMA, in Middleburg

2 14.29%
  • Longleaf Flatwoods Reserve, just outside Gainesville

0 0%
  • Newnan's Lake, in Gainesville

1 7.14%
  • Rice Creek Conservation Area, just outside Florahome and Palatka

0 0%
  • Hidden Pond, in Ocala National Forest

9 64.29%
  • Fanning Springs State Park, in Fanning Springs

0 0%
  • Ichetucknee Springs, in Fort White

5 35.71%
  • Other (please make a suggestion!)

1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    How close can you get to the campsite by car?? Is it possible to drop off some "splurge" items to bring into camp such as a cooler, dutch oven, charcoal, etc? It's kind of hard to tote 30 extra pounds of goodies to share on your back, even on a short hike.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    How close can you get to the campsite by car?? Is it possible to drop off some "splurge" items to bring into camp such as a cooler, dutch oven, charcoal, etc? It's kind of hard to tote 30 extra pounds of goodies to share on your back, even on a short hike.
    The closest that I am absolutely sure you can get is Pat's Island.

That being said, I'm looking at Google Maps, and there appears to be a turn off of FR 33 (that's the old numbering system; I'd have to look at a more current map to find out what they changed it to) called "Hidden Pond Short" on the satellite map. It looks like a straight shot, about two and an half miles long, to the FT just north of Hidden Pond.

I've never been down that way (I think I remember there being a side trail there, but I'm not absolutely certain), so I have no idea how overgrown the trail is. Honestly, for shaving just a mile off of the trip, I don't think I'd try it unless someone has had personal experience with that one...

On the other hand, I'd be willing to play pack mule on Saturday, if you want, zukiguy. The DIY pack is completely capable of handling that much stuff and some water for a seven-miler in the morning, and I could probably use the exercise.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hidden Pond short was blocked off about 3 years ago with plyons sunk into the ground. It was a fire road when we had that really bad fire that burnt the area north of Hidden Pond back in 2006. Now there is an old access road just a mile south of the Hidden Pond Short also on FR 33, but I'm not sure if they blocked it off or not. Although even back in the day when I last saw it(about 2 years ago), you needed a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get through it. I know of one open FR that still is kinda of accessible, maybe, if the current renters of Sweetwater Springs leave the gate unlocked. Its FR 76A, about 50 yards west of the Juniper Wayside on SR 19. If you can get through the gate, there is an access road that leads to the western portion of Hidden Pond Short, you can get within 100 yards of Hidden Pond where there's a sandy lot you could park at. Although once you drive to that point, you still need to bushwhack the 100 yards through some small brush. Here's a crude map showing what I mean:

Last edited by lilricky; 09-24-2012 at 19:24.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Thanks, lilricky!
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    ...FR 76A, about 50 yards west of the Juniper Wayside on SR 19. If you can get through the gate, there is an access road that leads to the western portion of Hidden Pond Short...
    I am intrigued by your information lilricky. I guess the fire did more damage to the wilderness then simply burning it. But I digress.

I looked up FR 76A using google streetview, part of google maps, and it looks like they have a locked gate and a guardrail between SR 19 and FR 76A.

About the Old Access Road, I know for a fact that at the southern end of Crooked Sapling Pond, there is a road. But it is largely overgrown.

I think you are out of luck on getting closer by vehicle, zukiguy.

I wish I could join everyone out there, but that weekend does not work for me. I wish you guys the best.
    Last edited by Great White; 09-24-2012 at 22:24. Reason: Fixed spelling.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    I am intrigued by your information lilricky. I guess the fire did more damage to the wilderness then simply burning it. But I digress.

I looked up FR 76A using google streetview, part of google maps, and it looks like they have a locked gate and a guardrail between SR 19 and FR 76A.
    Yep, that's the gate I was referring to, most of the time the people who rent the Sweetwater cabin from the Forestry Service leave it unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    About the Old Access Road, I know for a fact that at the southern end of Crooked Sapling Pond, there is a road. But it is largely overgrown.
    Yeah, thats where the old access road dumps you out at, unless you turn south at the fork, then it dumps you out at a gate at the springs.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Just confirming that the last gasp hang is on for 10/12 start next Friday.

Weatherman says middle 80 high and middle 60's lows with no rain. Could be cooler, but, what the hell.

If it's off please ABORT in clear unambiguous terms. The thread has been very quiet of late.

I'm going to ride my cycle up and will take the lilricky path. That's exciting in itself.
    grinder

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Just confirming that the last gasp hang is on for 10/12 start next Friday.

Weatherman says middle 80 high and middle 60's lows with no rain. Could be cooler, but, what the hell.

If it's off please ABORT in clear unambiguous terms. The thread has been very quiet of late.

I'm going to ride my cycle up and will take the lilricky path. That's exciting in itself.
    Oh, yeah, we're still on. I'd intended on doing a "one-week bump" yesterday, but life kinda got in the way of that. I'm still on for the walk in from US-19, hopefully arriving at camp (assuming a noon start) around 10 PM. So, I'll be coming in a little late. I apologize in advance if I wind up waking anyone.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Still on for me as well, had a little medical scare this weekend, but I plan on being at Hidden Pond Friday afternoon.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HNO Sock
    Insulation
    HG/HNO/UGQ
    Suspension
    Not Lately
    Images
    I'll be there late Friday as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast