Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Walmart Fabric
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Strap & Carabiner
    I've been doing backpacking, and bikepacking. This weekend the wife and I are car camping. Lots of extra things are being tossed into the car than I would have with either just feet or two wheels carrying me to my proposed campsite.

Most of it's my stuff, not the wife's. Fortunately, she's a "low maintenance" woman.

Hammock
    WBBW 1.1 Double, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, ENO
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am a gear junkie. Therefore,

I overpack when carcamping.
    I overpack when backpacking.
    I overpack when bikecamping (as seen below).

Basically, I overpack.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Like the backpacking trips with the minimal gear but sometimes some of our trips just require a little more gear.
    Last spring we did a 2 day/10 miler with just barely comfortable temps and no water sources on the trail. Stashed 5 gallons at the half way point and carried 12 liters on the Sherpa and we used it all.
    Our 1st Annual Sherpa hang last fall was only a couple of miles in to the camp but included D.O.'s and makings for cobblers and charcoal. Plus was used to carry in extra firewood. The Sherpa works great in these situations but probably not in too many areas other than the flatlands.
    cool buggy!

Any car camping stuff I have from back in the day is buried in my barn - if used its comes out for back yard parties.

any recent times I've gone with friends to a state park campground - I dont drive so I just bring my pack & let them carry anything extra

Whatever makes you happy......
    I do like car camping because that is the only way my wife will go. With car camping I get all the luxury items and perks of home, ( my wife ). I hate car camping because of all the noise envolved. It's like a darn block party at most established camp grounds so it's hard for me to have a relaxing time, ( I don't like crowds).
    With backpacking I get to get away from all the noise of life and don't have to worry about the dangers of the two legged wildlife.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If going alone car camping is just my backpack, as I tend to camp at a few locations that are a lazy mile from the parking areas. If going with the family, then things get busier with the ground dwelling for the wife, kid and dog, the propane stove, the cast iron griddle, easy up awning, countless things to entertain my wife and kid, lounge chairs, more flashlights and lanterns than I can count, a large cooler for food, another large cooler for drinks, and only Lord knows what else.

Of course I have my backpack with all it's normal packings and setup next to the ground dwelling enclosure my wife prefers to sleep in, and I never seem to use any of the other stuff for myself.

When we're packing up she always seems to ask, "Why do we bring so much stuff?"
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'd rather carry everything on my back but then my wife wouldn't be with me. She's got MS and bad knees so not backpacking for her. I like having her along, so car camping is great for that!
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My fiance and I have whittled our car camping gear to my pack, her back pack, a cooler and 1 medium tote for luxury items (propane stove, skillet, lantern, potatoes). She still sleeps in a tent for some unknown reason, so that goes as well.

It is nice having fried potatoes for breakfast, even if you can't make them from the hammock.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    This is a constant struggle in our Boy Scout Troop.
    It's hard to preach "be prepared" and "don't over pack" in the same breath.

We generally have 2 groups of boys: backpackers who hang and car campers who tent.
    Even though they bring much more gear, many of the "heavy packers" are less prepared than the backpackers.
    It's not totally and age thing either. I've got 12 & 13 yr old Scouts who have seen the light.
    One thing which might help with the perceived contradiction is to have them learn the real meaning behind "Be Prepared". Most assume it has something to do with bringing things. Some internet companies have even absconded the term which perpetuates the myth. In reality, Be Prepared as explained by Baden Powell in Scouting for Boys, "BE PREPARED which means you are always in a state of readiness in mind and body to do your DUTY". (Caps are in the original text.) He then goes on to explain prepared in mind and prepared in body. In the form of a question, I state it this way to my scouts: Are you prepared in mind and body to follow the scout oath and law?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Unless I missed it, another considerable potential difference between car camping and backpacking is wildlife. Many car camping areas experience heavy volume, animals become accustomed to human presence and can be quite agressive in obtaining food. Chipmunks are often fed by hand and have little fear of humans. Food and trash are often not secured coupled with crumbs and scraps on the ground are a bounty for mice and raccoons. I once saw a raccoon try to drag someones food bag away while the person was sitting not 10 feet from it. I won't even touch on bears. The point is, in these intensive use areas one must deal with critters in a different way when compared to the wilder, more remote locations (often not accessible by vehicle). This isn't to say, one doesn't need to take any precautions in the remote places but it is fascinating that the old timers (pre-20th century) didn't hang bags, use canisters, etc... and just layed their head on their food bag when out in the wilderness.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
    It is nice having fried potatoes for breakfast, even if you can't make them from the hammock.
    Challenge accepted!

Too bad I don't have a way to capture it on video.

Off to the market to get some potatoes!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast