Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I think I may have gone back and done a very light 2nd coat after the 1st had time to dry. I can say that I haven't had a skeeter problem since. It's nice to watch the little buggers bouncing off the netting knowing you're safe and secure inside.
    I bought a can of Repel Permanone .5% Permethrin from Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago and just had a chance to spray it on a HH Explorer Deluxe on Friday. I hung the hammock in the garage and used up an entire can on the fabric and netting of the hammock. It is difficult to spray everything perfectly uniformly but I think I did about as good as a guy can with these cans. After spraying I hung it outside to dry. The humidity was quite low that day.

That evening after sunset my daughter climbed in the hammock so that I could observe the activity on the outside of the hammock. I was sure that the mosquitoes wouldn't even light on the hammock. To my surprise the mosquitoes were flying around the hammock and a number of them landed on the hammock. It appeared that they were trying to poke through the fabric. Some landed and than flew off but they didn't appear to be affected by the spray.

I have read nothing but positive reviews usually describing the total effectiveness of these treatments and I am certainly disappointed that I didn't experience the same. I'm curious about those of you that have sprayed your hammocks, tents or clothing. Do the mosquitoes even light on the material? If they do, to they appear to fall off dead almost immediately or does it take awhile?

My intent is to apply a second coat with another can and see if that improves the effectiveness but I am curious about what you folks have actually observed. Maybe I was just not patient enough in waiting for them to die or fly off although I'm sure that some of them were on the hammock for a couple minutes or more. It was my thought that they would keel over and die almost immediately.

Thanks for your real-world observations.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It was my understanding that contact time plays a major role in the effectiveness of the permanone treatment. For that reason it works better on ticks than mosquitos. But I haven't used itwith mosquitos in mind so I really don't know how to assess it. It seems very effective for ticks.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy View Post
    It was my thought that they would keel over and die almost immediately.
    Would you lay in something that instantly kills anything, let alone a mosquito?

I've sprayed all my hammocks with the WallyWorld Permanone, and I haven't had any issues with mosquitos biting through the fabric. But I've never actually sat and watched the mosquitos, or timed how long it takes them to get sick and fly off or keel over. I view the spraying as much of a deterrent as anything - if it kills them, great; even better if it just keeps them from biting me.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I've recently acquired a HH Explorer Deluxe and Expedition. Recently two of my kids (age 8 and 10) slept in them in the back yard here in central Florida. In the morning they had a large number of bites (I can only assume mosquitoes) mostly extending several inches on either side of their elbows. They were sleeping clothed but without a sleeping bag or any other protection to keep their skin off of the fabric. At first I thought that their arms had been resting against the netting but, because of their size, they lay quite low in the hammock and don't think that they could possibly have been leaning against the mosquito mesh.

I've read that the HH Ultralight backpacker uses different fabric that mosquitos supposedly can't penetrate. Can someone confirm or deny that. I've also read that mosquitoes have a hard time penetrating two fabrics at the same time such as hammock material and clothing. Have you found this to be true?

The hammocks are great if you can get through the night without being eaten alive (which of course is the whole idea with the integrated netting). What are your recommendations for a no-bite night?

Thanks.
    no they will eat you aliveneo
    the matrix has you

It's nice to watch the little buggers bouncing off the netting. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Would you lay in something that instantly kills anything, let alone a mosquito?

I've sprayed all my hammocks with the WallyWorld Permanone, and I haven't had any issues with mosquitos biting through the fabric. But I've never actually sat and watched the mosquitos, or timed how long it takes them to get sick and fly off or keel over. I view the spraying as much of a deterrent as anything - if it kills them, great; even better if it just keeps them from biting me.
    I guess I was taking JaxHiker's words literally when he says that they just bounce off the netting.

I would agree that if it is so potent that it kills instantly, it makes you wonder how it cannot be affecting you. Since several of you have described the process to be so completely effective I just need to try it for a night and will almost certainly find everything to be fine. I did put another coat on the hammock this afternoon and it will be interesting to see if that affects the mosquitoes behavior around the hammock.

Did you just use a single can on your hammock? How long have you found it to be effective before needing to retreat? Do you store the hammock in a sealed bag to extend the effectiveness period?

I wish that we didn't have to worry about these skeeters but they are a fact of life at night here in Florida . . . and many other places.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Those Floridian skeeters have developed an immunity to most of man's creations! At least the kind you can buy at Wally World.

It sounds like you had better lay something under you or under the hammock. Here in the Ozarks we don't have particularly mean skeeters, but when I hammock along the rivers in the summer, I make it a point to not touch the hammock fabric. They'll bite right through the hammock and a T-shirt, even with a little Permanone. Even if it's sweltering outside in July, I'll lay on top of a bag or quilt to avoid the blood suckers.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Did you just use a single can on your hammock? How long have you found it to be effective before needing to retreat? Do you store the hammock in a sealed bag to extend the effectiveness period?
    Single can is about right - I did 4 hammocks with 3 cans, but 2 of those were no-nets.

I retreat after ~20 nights in any one hammock. Less if the hammock gets wet. I will wait until spring to retreat my hammocks - no mosquitos up here anymore - we've had several frosts already.

No, I have dwr stuff sacks that I keep my hammocks in.

Hammock
    Pine Needles
    Insulation
    Blubber
    Jax....I dont want to even talk about the dang chiggars.....I am eaten alive!!!!
    Did you hear that?

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry I'm late chiming back in. Just saw this had been bumped again.

Floridaguy, I don't recall if I used 1 or 2 cans. I just pulled the material taut and tried my best to get even, solid coverage. Make sure the material is damp/wet after you spray. Maybe it didn't get enough coverage. I can't say whether or not the skeeters stay off it completely since I'm laying in the hammock when they're buzzing around. However, I can say that I have not had ANY problems with bites when I wake up in the morning. Even if I get one or two bites it's certainly better than the "rash" I was getting untreated.

You have to remember that permethrin is an insecticide not a repellent. It works through contact. So they won't be affected unless they land on it. My understanding is that skeeters typically fall off shortly after landing and that most die after contact. Did either of you receive any bites while in the hammock? That's really the test. I figure they can land all day as long as I don't end up with any bites.

I did notice that skeeters were landing on my shirt on the last hike but I didn't wait to see if they stuck around and keeled over before a killed them myself. However, I may have been at the end of the 6-8 week lifetime of the treatment.

I did a quick search and found this for you:
    The early history of permethrin development involved tests on mosquitoes conducted by the US Army and Air Force. Tests showed that when lightweight uniforms were treated until moist (approximately 3 ounces) the permethrin alone (0. 5% solution) gave 97.7% protection from mosquitoes and 99.9% protection when used in combination with deet (33% solution). Two detergent washings did not diminish mosquito repellent and killing action of permethrin-treated uniforms.

An interesting side note: The effectiveness of permethrin can be shown in the following report highlight that was reported in a very matter of fact statement. During testing in the Everglades, "Mosquitoes were also repelled because of the side-stream effect caused by numerous treated uniforms within the same general location. This required that the test site be moved to locate more mosquitoes!"
    Bump, I don't know if it's coincidence or not but I've had zero problems with chiggers since treating my boots and socks.

Did either of you receive any bites while in the hammock? That's really the test. I figure they can land all day as long as I don't end up with any bites.
    My daughter was only in the HH for maybe 10 minutes and no one spent the night in it (this was in the backyard). Based on your experience I'm sure that we should be fine despite the fact that the skeeters were sitting on it for a couple minutes or so. Because of my concern I did hit it with a 2nd coat so I know that coverage will certainly not be an issue going forward.

I'll try to report back after giving it a true all-night test. Thanks again for your thoughts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast