Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does the HH Ultralight backpacker fabric keep the mosquitos from biting through?

I've recently acquired a HH Explorer Deluxe and Expedition. Recently two of my kids (age 8 and 10) slept in them in the back yard here in central Florida. In the morning they had a large number of bites (I can only assume mosquitoes) mostly extending several inches on either side of their elbows. They were sleeping clothed but without a sleeping bag or any other protection to keep their skin off of the fabric. At first I thought that their arms had been resting against the netting but, because of their size, they lay quite low in the hammock and don't think that they could possibly have been leaning against the mosquito mesh.

I've read that the HH Ultralight backpacker uses different fabric that mosquitos supposedly can't penetrate. Can someone confirm or deny that. I've also read that mosquitoes have a hard time penetrating two fabrics at the same time such as hammock material and clothing. Have you found this to be true?

The hammocks are great if you can get through the night without being eaten alive (which of course is the whole idea with the integrated netting). What are your recommendations for a no-bite night?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Depends on the skeeters (i.e., your location). Lots of folks treat the hammock with permethrin to solve the problem when the skeeters are that bad.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In a word, no. They probably got bitten where their clothes weren't adding a second layer of protection. The skeeters can't make it through multiple layers of fabric. Jeff is right about the permethrin. I haven't had any problems since treating mine. Before that I looked like I had poison ivy after a night in the hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    No. Permethrin will.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Jeff is right about the permethrin. I haven't had any problems since treating mine. Before that I looked like I had poison ivy after a night in the hammock.
    The poison ivy analogy describes exactly how my kids looked after only one night. Please explain how you treat the hammock with permethrin along with how often you have to treat, how heavy the application, favorite brands or concentrations etc.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    In a word, no.
    So the mosquitoes can get through the tighter fabric just the same, huh? I see that you are a Florida hiker so you are obviously familiar with the mosquitoes that we have here and know what will and will not work.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Go to Walmart and get it in a spray can - I think Permanone is the brand I got. You just spray it on and let it dry. It's pretty bad stuff to get on you in liquid form (though not too bad to be sold at Walmart), but it's harmless (we're told) when it's dry. It'll last for several washes, or probably a season on the hammock if you don't wash it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Depends on the skeeters (i.e., your location).
    So where do the kinder, gentler mosquitoes live?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Haha - wherever Tom Hennessy did his testing, apparently...

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy View Post
    So the mosquitoes can get through the tighter fabric just the same, huh? I see that you are a Florida hiker so you are obviously familiar with the mosquitoes that we have here and know what will and will not work.
    Oh yeah, I think you'll find there's very little that they can't get through when you're talking single layers. It's when you get two layers with different weaves where you put a kink in their plan.

Jeff and I are right on the same line with this one. I was originally going to get the Sawyer concentrate and soak the hammock but I got lazy. I just picked up the Permanone like Jeff, put the hammock up, and sprayed it down. I think I did it with one can but to be honest I sprayed so much between the hammock and clothes I ended up going through 3 cans total. Just pull the material to take up the slack so you make sure you get total coverage and don't miss any sections.

I think I may have gone back and done a very light 2nd coat after the 1st had time to dry. I can say that I haven't had a skeeter problem since. It's nice to watch the little buggers bouncing off the netting knowing you're safe and secure inside.

As I alluded above, I spray everything. My shirts, pants, socks, and boots all get treated. When hiking in Ocala several of the guys looked horrible with all the chigger bites they got. I didn't have a single problem with skeeters, ticks or chiggers. One of the guys sprayed everything but socks/boots. In my book, if it's exposed, it gets treated.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast