View Poll Results: Do you like an HHSS, or is it just so/so, or does it stink?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have tried the HHSS but was not warm even at 40- 50F, it is not a good system.

5 6.67%
  • I tried it and had to much condensation, so it is not for me.

5 6.67%
  • I tried it and have not had any significant condensation problems.

18 24.00%
  • Condensation was manageable, and I was warm down to 40F with the basic system.

17 22.67%
  • I was warm to 30F with basic system and condensation was acceptable

15 20.00%
  • I was warm to about 20F (basic system) and condensation was acceptable

11 14.67%
  • I have been warm below 20F with the basic system

6 8.00%
  • I have been warm well below 20F by adding unworn clothing or other insulation in the undercover

7 9.33%
  • The UC provides significant extra wind/rain/snow/fog protection, which is a big plus!

25 33.33%
  • I find it to be more than adequate for the money and weight/volume. I like it!

38 50.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I like the HHSS, and have had it down to around 30 but I had an UQ inside of it. I was toasty warm and I also had the OC and it kept the heat in. I have the old system that has to be put on when you are setting up. It cannot be put on once you are setup. I would like the new system better. I would like an UC that doesn't have the slit in it since I have the zip model Explorer UL. I hate the slit in the bottom of the UC, it is a pain and I think it would be warmer without the slit. Just my $.02.
    Also, I experienced no condensation.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by huauqui View Post
    My son ThreeD and I have used the HHSS system successfully on several occasions ranging from lows in the 48 degree range with some wind to lows in the 30 degree range with 20-25 mph wind. I did one night down to 28 or so with 20 MPH wind with the OC on top to supplement and used no tarp. The system works well within its designed limitations.

Any time I push a system there is a learning curve and this is no exception. There is a definite fiddle factor with this setup to get it right but I think that is the way any system in a hammock works. We did switch from standard space blankets to the ones that don't make so much noise and that was a great change.

We just got our sets at the sale last fall so we are still learning. We are adding Underground Quilts 20 degree UQ's to our equipment list so will see how the two stack up and strengths and weakness of both this fall.

I find I like to lounge on the porch at home in the cool evenings with this system under me and a wool blanket in the hammock.

It works great for reading and just general laying around. I feel asleep once this past March and as it cooled off I just wrapped up in the blanket I was toasty. I may add this to the hammock this winter and see how it works too.

We like the HHSS, it is what it is, a bit fiddly but works once dialed in. ThreeD was even so lucky as to get a "one of" from the sale that is camo, I will attach a photo below of our two hammocks with HHSS from two weekends ago. We had them set up without space blankets as the temp was forecasted to get down around 50 which they did and we were both warm.

huauqui
    Useful info there, Huauqui! Especially that you " I did one night down to 28 or so with 20 MPH wind with the OC on top to supplement and used no tarp." And apparently you were OK under those conditions. Now that just seems like a really big deal to me, NO TARP? How many other UQs has anyone done such a thing in? I think we would expect to freeze with a 20F UQ under those conditions, which is surely a major demonstration of how effective that UC is at adding wind resistance. And that- along with the added water resistance - is a plus that I have always really appreciated about this system. Yet I see that only 41% of users (so far) agree with me on that.

I bet you are going to like those quilts, even if you will have to pay more attention to using your tarp to block the wind! Are you getting the moisture resistant down? That sounds very interesting to me!

Quote Originally Posted by ragnall View Post
    I have always been pleased with my SS. I have had it out in the upper 20's, and I was warm. I did have my jacket in the undercover as well, but I do not know that it was needed. The over cover was nice more because it blocked some of the wind than the heat it held in. Although I do want to say it was 5-7 degrees warmer inside the hammock. I don't remember ever having a condensation problem, but I just might not have noticed it if it wasn't extreme.

I have been trying under quilts as well, and another thing I like about the SS is that I do not feel it under me. The quilt makes the hammock feel more confined, and I can feel the bottom edge of the partial length quilt under my legs at times( I probably won't notice this when I have to add a pad under my feet.). These same traits may make the quilt warmer when really put to the test, but for now they are mild annoyances. I will leave out getting the quilt dialed in on a bottom entry, since a zip mod would fix that.

Ragnall
    Nice to see that you said " I did have my jacket in the undercover as well, but I do not know that it was needed." Again I am surprised that only 11% have reported using clothing to be warm well below 20, but maybe the "below 20" is what is keeping that number low. It is hard to word a poll to cover all possibilities. My record is warm at 14F/wind chill 6 with no tarp. ( but I was on a porch, still the wind was hittiing me no doubt) with 1 fleece jacket and 1 down vest added, spread out to cover a wide area.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I like the HHSS, and have had it down to around 30 but I had an UQ inside of it. I was toasty warm and I also had the OC and it kept the heat in. I have the old system that has to be put on when you are setting up. It cannot be put on once you are setup. I would like the new system better. I would like an UC that doesn't have the slit in it since I have the zip model Explorer UL. I hate the slit in the bottom of the UC, it is a pain and I think it would be warmer without the slit. Just my $.02.
    Also, I experienced no condensation.
    I have both style systems, and I much prefer the new!

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    I've been waiting to find a used one for sale for the explorer, but it seems no one parts with them, and only a few for the expedition size have been sold. don't tell me of missed opportunities, ok? So I surmise that it is a good value and effective enough that folks aren't giving them up for sale.

If I'm wrong, and you have one you want to part with for an asym Explorer, I'm interested.

Thanks!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Useful info there, Huauqui! Especially that you " I did one night down to 28 or so with 20 MPH wind with the OC on top to supplement and used no tarp." And apparently you were OK under those conditions. Now that just seems like a really big deal to me, NO TARP? How many other UQs has anyone done such a thing in? I think we would expect to freeze with a 20F UQ under those conditions, which is surely a major demonstration of how effective that UC is at adding wind resistance. And that- along with the added water resistance - is a plus that I have always really appreciated about this system. Yet I see that only 41% of users (so far) agree with me on that.

I bet you are going to like those quilts, even if you will have to pay more attention to using your tarp to block the wind! Are you getting the moisture resistant down? That sounds very interesting to me!
    BillyBob,
    We did get the resist down, can't wait to get/use them.

The 28 degree night was a surprise it was about 10 degrees colder then it was predicted to be. I had a nice wool stocking cap on and always have my 0 degree mummy with me in cool conditions I used it as a TQ and at one point I think I crawled in though I don't think I ever zipped it up. I left my jeans on with some dry socks and stuffed my hoodie under my knees. I was warm but definitely not hot but by about 1:00 AM the wind died off and I was finer then frogs hair.

I am a warm sleeper and when out in the "piney woods" I prefer to feel the elements a bit and as such have slept in lean-tos, on the ground with just a wool blanket, dug out snow shelters etc.... Maybe that has something to do with why I was not cold who knows. Either way I slept well and woke clearly more refreshed then all those who were in tents.

The OC adds a nice warm bubble around you inside the hammock. It makes it feel much more like a bivy-sack then an open air hammock system. I prefer the hammock with nothing between me and the stars but will sacrifice and use the OC as needed it just works that well. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me the OC has produced several cousins such as the overcover on the dangerbird (which by the way I am struggling not to order I just love the design.) I think the OC is undervalued by many, it doesn't replace a tarp but with both UC and OC wind resistant/proof it comes close.

BillyBob it was actually some of your posts about the HHSS that caused us to try them. Thanks for the information/recommendation. I really think the HHSS with some forethought is very versatile and can be added to / taken away from easily. In fact we can't wait to mix and match the new UGQ Zeppelin's with our HHSS to see where we can go.

Huauqui

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    I've been waiting to find a used one for sale for the explorer, but it seems no one parts with them, and only a few for the expedition size have been sold. don't tell me of missed opportunities, ok? So I surmise that it is a good value and effective enough that folks aren't giving them up for sale.

If I'm wrong, and you have one you want to part with for an asym Explorer, I'm interested.

Thanks!
    Well I have ( I think ) THREE of the large ones. I have bought some on sale from HH or here at HF. I think my excuse for getting them was is: When and if my Grandsons are ready for a hammock, I am going to set them up in HHs, and with HHSSs. Your best bet is to wait for the (normally) HH Oct sale, where the last 2 years they have had great prices on SSs.

But if you don't want to wait, or they don't put them on sale, I could certainly sell you my oldest one at an even better than sale price. The UC is the old style, though in perfect condition. The pad is kind of ugly, as a few holes have been poked through it, which is really easy to do. The good news is that does not really effect the performance and is really easy to patch, which I have done. So the bad looks bad, but works good. Let me know if you want the old one. Then I will only have two!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by huauqui View Post
    BillyBob,
    We did get the resist down, can't wait to get/use them.

The 28 degree night was a surprise it was about 10 degrees colder then it was predicted to be. I had a nice wool stocking cap on and always have my 0 degree mummy with me in cool conditions I used it as a TQ and at one point I think I crawled in though I don't think I ever zipped it up. I left my jeans on with some dry socks and stuffed my hoodie under my knees. I was warm but definitely not hot but by about 1:00 AM the wind died off and I was finer then frogs hair.

I am a warm sleeper and when out in the "piney woods" I prefer to feel the elements a bit and as such have slept in lean-tos, on the ground with just a wool blanket, dug out snow shelters etc.... Maybe that has something to do with why I was not cold who knows. Either way I slept well and woke clearly more refreshed then all those who were in tents.

The OC adds a nice warm bubble around you inside the hammock. It makes it feel much more like a bivy-sack then an open air hammock system. I prefer the hammock with nothing between me and the stars but will sacrifice and use the OC as needed it just works that well. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me the OC has produced several cousins such as the overcover on the dangerbird (which by the way I am struggling not to order I just love the design.) I think the OC is undervalued by many, it doesn't replace a tarp but with both UC and OC wind resistant/proof it comes close.

BillyBob it was actually some of your posts about the HHSS that caused us to try them. Thanks for the information/recommendation. I really think the HHSS with some forethought is very versatile and can be added to / taken away from easily. In fact we can't wait to mix and match the new UGQ Zeppelin's with our HHSS to see where we can go.

Huauqui
    You are very welcome, and thank goodness it worked well for you! I fear one or two have got one at least partly based on my rec, and were NOT able to get it to work good for them. Although I really think more often it has worked out at least OK.

I love my down gear- I am a major Pea Pod and JRM MW/BMBH fan- and also my Climashield WB "Yeti". And I am sort of salivating for one of these "resist down" quilts, and I may fall to temptation soon knowing me.

But, at least for the folks for whom the HHSS would work ( I think 60 or 70+%). that whole built in wind proof thing is a benefit that most overlook, especially when comparing to down UQs. Here you are with - far as I know - one pad and nothing else like a down jacket under that pad - being at least warm enough at 28 with 20 MPH winds, in about a 20 oz system. That is quite a wind chill. Probably about 4F when the wind is highest. That could suck the heat right out of a zero F quilt, much less a 20F quilt. And a 20F UQ will probably weigh at least 20 oz, heck a 40F UQ will be close to that, especially a long UQ. And we are not even considering moisture yet. IMO, your experience indicates superb performance for a fairly low cost system.

Now OK, OK I know well that this is apples and oranges. IOW, you can keep the wind ( and sideways rain/splashup) of of a 20+ oz 20-25F UQ with a nice large tarp, maybe with doors and/or even some sort of sock or UQP. No problem. But the difference is: this is all built into the lower cost system, but adds even more cost and extra weight to the other systems. Folks sometimes forget to count the extra weight, bulk and cost of bigger tarps or UQPs or socks in order to achieve what comes standard with even the tiniest HH tarp when using the HHSS.

But that is something folks need to remember, trying to do an apples to apples type comparison. When doing a comparison, it is not just price and warmth to weight/bulk that needs to be considered. Protection from wind and wind blown rain/snow or even fog should be considered. Seems to me anyway!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

Smile Pics

Here are a couple pics of my rig with the HHSS and OC on it from the 28 degree night I mentioned in the earlier post. As far as I can remember I had the UC, pad, and a space blanket under me and only my mummy bag and light clothing inside. You can see the wind is just starting to blow. It certainly is like a burrito inside all toasty and warm.

huauqui
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Your best bet is to wait for the (normally) HH Oct sale, where the last 2 years they have had great prices on SSs.
    I forgot about that sale, coming real soon now. I got in on the last days do missed many deals. I'll be ready early this year!

I think I'll try for new now that you've reminded me.

Thanks

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    The set-up time is what kills the idea for me. I realize you can fold it all up together, but that looks rather bulky.
    Besides, what the world really needs is a full length UQ, with more down on the bottom, and very little under your head and legs/feet. How often does your head and feet get cold before your back, never for me.

Again I am surprised that only 11% have reported using clothing to be warm well below 20, but maybe the "below 20" is what is keeping that number low.
    11% reporting success is not the same as 89% reporting failure. I didnt tick that box because I havent been out when the temperature was that low (yet!) but have every confidence that I would be warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast