View Poll Results: Do you like an HHSS, or is it just so/so, or does it stink?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have tried the HHSS but was not warm even at 40- 50F, it is not a good system.

5 6.67%
  • I tried it and had to much condensation, so it is not for me.

5 6.67%
  • I tried it and have not had any significant condensation problems.

18 24.00%
  • Condensation was manageable, and I was warm down to 40F with the basic system.

17 22.67%
  • I was warm to 30F with basic system and condensation was acceptable

15 20.00%
  • I was warm to about 20F (basic system) and condensation was acceptable

11 14.67%
  • I have been warm below 20F with the basic system

6 8.00%
  • I have been warm well below 20F by adding unworn clothing or other insulation in the undercover

7 9.33%
  • The UC provides significant extra wind/rain/snow/fog protection, which is a big plus!

25 33.33%
  • I find it to be more than adequate for the money and weight/volume. I like it!

38 50.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    It has worked for me down to 20F - the SS is a good value. Fits like a glove on both my Explorer UL classic and Deep Jungle zip.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdickenson View Post
    11% reporting success is not the same as 89% reporting failure. I didnt tick that box because I havent been out when the temperature was that low (yet!) but have every confidence that I would be warm.
    Very true, and I was in fact just taking that to mean that only 11% have even tried it, down to 8% now! Because I personally can't see any one trying it and it not working for them. It just surprised me that only 8% have tried it. If for no other reason than I have been highly recommending that for about 6 years. From back in the days when I was just about the only guy here using the lowly SS. My personal HHSS record is 14F in Jan 2010, with no tarp or OC and a 6F windchill. I can't normally take a SS this low, but I had added a down vest under the pad at the butt end, and a fleece jacket under my upper back. Now I realize 14F is no step for the winter steppers around here, but still, that wind might have done a number on even a 0F UQ if you didn't have some kind of big tarp perfectly pitched to block that wind, or a good sock. This of course required a warm enough quilt on top so that I did not need to sleep in the vest or jacket. Plus, I was TOASTY and def could have gone lower, I may never know how much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    It has worked for me down to 20F - the SS is a good value. Fits like a glove on both my Explorer UL classic and Deep Jungle zip.
    Amazingly, I see ~ 9% report being warm below 20F with just the basic system. And there are several people I know of who have even gone below zero who have not reported in ( like Cryofthewild for instance). I don't know how some of you do it. I am tickled with my 6F windchill even if I have to add vests and/or jackets down below!

Here is one of several PM's from COTW (he gave permission to make them public). He uses a Marmot +15F Pinnacle bag and " When I sleep I usually have 2 pair wool socks, one top and bottom marino wool long underwear, one set poly long underwear again top and bottom, fleece pj's from wallmart, fleece sweetshirt, balaclava over my mouth and nose, and a rabbit fur hat with ear flaps down."
    Originally Posted by CryOTheWild
    My first time winter hanging was the coldest I have ever camped at -20 with wind chills at -35 3rd week of January 2011. This was also my first solo trip but I camped out about 1000 feet from a my car if had to bail and drive 5 miles to the cabin. All I had was the HHSS and over cover. no extra pads, ccf, or extra sleeping bags. I did use a space blanket and the over cover came in handy but I only had the stock Asym tarp as well. The following week I purchased the HH hex Fly from another HF member which I swear by in cold or heavy weather now. I have some videos on my youtube page from this years winter camping trips which had a lowest low of -12 with wind chill of -20 for 2 nights out of 15. Here is a link with photos from the Frozen Cheese Hang I hosted this year. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=41142
    .................................................. ................................

Also, some more interesting info from him about these adventures with an HHSS:

Also I would like to add that I have not really used the over cover since my first winter hang at those super cold temps, I tried using it one night this past January but had so much condensation it was snowing on me when I woke up. I have also done some experimenting with the space blanket vapor barrier and decided that it does not make a significant enough difference to really be necessary especially for a longer trip. if it in above the ocf pad it traps all moisture which freezes to it and then gets re absorbed when you crawl back in at night into the fabrics of the hammock and sleeping bag. If anything the space blanket seems to do best under the pad that way you still get all the trapped air insulation and the moister that radiates out from below you condenses into the pad instead of the hammock and sleeping bag. Then in the morning the pad can just be shaken and all the ice will just fall off. I started hanging the pad, sleeping bag, and space blanket on the ridge line to dry on sunny days as the space blanket radiates the suns energy towards the other things helping them dry as well even below freezing temps. I did notice after a week in the 10 to -20 weather that I had chunks of ice within the feather of my down bag most likely from condensation formed during sleeping

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Haven pad
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    I have a question about the HHSS. Most of the component parts are not expensive except the under cover. What are you getting for all that money?

I just bought a HH DJ and I have DIY UQ's. I have used the 2QzQ cover on the WBBB and wonder how that compares to the HH under cover?

Also question for BillyBob, in your gallery you have the HHSS on the DJ. What is the orange layer in the picture or is that not part of the HHSS system?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crog Welly View Post
    I have a question about the HHSS. Most of the component parts are not expensive except the under cover. What are you getting for all that money?

I just bought a HH DJ and I have DIY UQ's. I have used the 2QzQ cover on the WBBB and wonder how that compares to the HH under cover?

Also question for BillyBob, in your gallery you have the HHSS on the DJ. What is the orange layer in the picture or is that not part of the HHSS system?
    Hello Crog. What you get for your money is a custom fit for the Hennessy hammock and pad. Although, probably a lot of the expense is in designing and sewing the bottom entry which is a perfect match up for the bottom entry hammock, while closing to make a good enough "seal", but nnot interfering with entry/exit.

Still, the UC fits near perfectly to the hammock and HH pad, doing a good job- much better than the pads suspension by itself, of holding the pad snug up against the sleeper head to toe. The UC provides just the right amount of elastic tension to help support the pad and any other insulation added under the pad and prevent gaps.

The 2q UQP would provide very similar protection from wind and rain, but I'm not sure if it would function as well as the HH UC at providing head to toe support for the HH pad. But I have never tried the combo, so hard to say.

But if your UQs work well, and if the 2Q UQP works well with them, I don't guess you need an HHSS. I suspect that combo would function much like the HHSS.

I imagine the orange layer you saw was my AMK space blanket.
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...ency%20Blanket
    I also use plain, cheap WM space blankets, and they function just as well. But the AMKs are quieter and more durable. A space blanket laid on top of the pad is a recommended addition to the system, but HH does not supply them, you must buy one for your self. ( 2 to 4 bucks, ~ 2 oz. )

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Haven pad
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    Thanks BillyBob. Great help. I like the idea of having a top cover under cover that's made to fit the hammock.

I"ll see how I get on with the DJ and then weigh up whether or not to invest in the HH stuff.

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Haven pad
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    Had first three nights in the HH DJ . Really like it. We got hit somewhat with 50mph winds gusting 75mph on Monday evening . Trees coming down all over the place. The wife and I decided to take the kids into the basement for the night. My eldest and I slept in hammocks hung from the joists.

Anyhow DJ really comfy . Now have to perfect the rig in terms of suspension and insulation.

Hammock
    HH Asym
    Tarp
    Hex
    Hey, BillyBob.
    I spent a week in the Boundary Waters in Northern Minnesota the first week of October. The last two nights were in the mid-20's with rain, snow and winds gusting to 35mph.
    I'm very pleased with how the system worked (UC, pad, space blanket and an unzipped down sleeping bag I've owned for 37 years). Was warm and comfortable and noted no condensation issues.
    I did supplement with polartec longjohns and the Boreal Shirt I picked up in Duluth from Jason Gustafson, but, hey, I'm a Florida boy.
    Once I figured out how best to peg the tarp, I slept like a baby, even in the high winds.
    I do agree with the comments about setup seeming to take a while longer than I'd have liked, but with the conditions the way they were, I didn't want to take the time to learn something new that may not have worked for me.
    This was my longest trip in the Hennessey the comfort factor was excellent, especially on those sites where the tent pads were all slanted. No worries for me!!!
    Overall, I was a happy camper.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

36* Last night

Tried the SS last night woke up @ 7 it was 36* & had my cup of tea. Considerable condensation on the top & bottom of the monsoon tarp set up with one door, also on the hammock side of the UC and the pad was moist as well. The bottom of the UC was not damp.

Note I did not use a space blanket and stayed mostly warm, only felt a little cool on my calf near the opening in the UC, the hammock is the EXP UL.

If I use the space blanket does the condensation move to my sleeping bag? Used a REI 15* down bag.

Images
    Looks like some newer folks are getting pretty darn good results!

Quote Originally Posted by Crog Welly View Post
    Had first three nights in the HH DJ . Really like it. We got hit somewhat with 50mph winds gusting 75mph on Monday evening . Trees coming down all over the place. The wife and I decided to take the kids into the basement for the night. My eldest and I slept in hammocks hung from the joists.

Anyhow DJ really comfy . Now have to perfect the rig in terms of suspension and insulation.
    Great to hear, Crog! I don't own one, but I tried a DJ XL for a while once and really liked it! So are you using your UQs for insulation?

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoConfused View Post
    Hey, BillyBob.
    I spent a week in the Boundary Waters in Northern Minnesota the first week of October. The last two nights were in the mid-20's with rain, snow and winds gusting to 35mph.
    I'm very pleased with how the system worked (UC, pad, space blanket and an unzipped down sleeping bag I've owned for 37 years). Was warm and comfortable and noted no condensation issues.
    I did supplement with polartec longjohns and the Boreal Shirt I picked up in Duluth from Jason Gustafson, but, hey, I'm a Florida boy.
    Once I figured out how best to peg the tarp, I slept like a baby, even in the high winds.
    I do agree with the comments about setup seeming to take a while longer than I'd have liked, but with the conditions the way they were, I didn't want to take the time to learn something new that may not have worked for me.
    This was my longest trip in the Hennessey the comfort factor was excellent, especially on those sites where the tent pads were all slanted. No worries for me!!!
    Overall, I was a happy camper.
    Man, fantastic results for ( I think? ) 1st time HHSS user, plus a FL boy camping way up in MN! I don't know how you could beat that? Was that with the stock HH diamond tarp, or the bigger optional tarp? Either way, sweet! ( my 1st night in both a hammock and using a HHSS 6 years ago, I froze my butt off at 22f! But luckily I quickly figured it out before I abandoned hammocks entirely!

As for set up taking longer than you would like, hopefully you will just set it up once. My UC stays on until lows are consistently above 70 or 75. If it is cool enough to use a pad and space blanket, I either
    A: put the entire hammock, SS with pad and sometimes even my TQ ( zipped inside the hammock) into one large stuff sack or even directly into my pack. Then at set up, I tie one end to a tree, walk to the other tree pulling it all out of the sack or pack, tie to the other tree and Presto, it is all set up and ready for bed! Or I

B: remove the pad and put it in a compression stuff/dry bag with the other stuff I really want to keep dry, and then roll the hammock and UC up into snake skins. This also makes for a plenty fast set up and break down. But that UC, once on correctly, does not come off until it is just too hot to put up with it!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Tried the SS last night woke up @ 7 it was 36* & had my cup of tea. Considerable condensation on the top & bottom of the monsoon tarp set up with one door, also on the hammock side of the UC and the pad was moist as well. The bottom of the UC was not damp.

Note I did not use a space blanket and stayed mostly warm, only felt a little cool on my calf near the opening in the UC, the hammock is the EXP UL.

If I use the space blanket does the condensation move to my sleeping bag? Used a REI 15* down bag.
    Well Dirtwheels, personally, I am also going to call this a great success. Because you did not use a space blanket ( almost essential for me ) and you got the expected ( if not using a SB ) condensation and the damp pad that results. But still, you were warm enough at 36F? Impressive, IMO! That speaks very highly of the insulative properties of that pad even when damp.

You ask if the condensation going into the bag if you use the space blanket. Well speaking for myself and several others ( like ImSoConfused at start of this post) - and saying up front that it has not worked this well for every one for reasons I don't understand - if you use the space blanket(SB), not only will it make the system a lot warmer, but you won't ( or at least I don't) get any condensation.

See, here's the Vapor Barrier (VB) THEORY: Your bods vapor traveled out from your body, went right through the totally breathable pad, hit the COLD outer layer of the UC, condensed as you might expect, and then got your pad wet. Once - but not always - when I did that, I woke up with the foot of my bag and pad soaked.

But if you use a vapor barrier/space blanket, you want it as close to your body as possible. That should keep it warm from your bodies heat. Vapor won't normally condense when it hits a warm surface, but only when it hits a surface which is below the dew point. Like your windshield on a cold day. If you warm your windshield up with a defroster, or the sun warms it up, the condensation pretty much goes away.

Also, you want as little insulation as possible between you and the VB/SB as possible. Because if you overheat and sweat, or the VB is cold and you get condensation, the moisture won't be able to escape and will be absorbed by the insulation.

In my years of using a space blanket immediately under the hammock with the HHSS or inside my Pea Pod, I have never had any significant condensation issues. Only in the HHSS if I did not use a space blanket. My worse case scenario in the HHSS was finding a few drops of moisture at the low point of the sb. But that's me, and several oothers report having no problems. But some folks have reported condensation issues even with the sb, so I guess it is one of those YMMV things.

Glad to see so many people having good luck with the HHSS!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-03-2012 at 09:14.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Looks like some newer folks are getting pretty darn good results!

Well Dirtwheels, personally, I am also going to call this a great success. Because you did not use a space blanket ( almost essential for me ) and you got the expected ( if not using a SB ) condensation and the damp pad that results. But still, you were warm enough at 36F? Impressive, IMO! That speaks very highly of the insulative properties of that pad even when damp.

You ask if the condensation going into the bag if you use the space blanket. Well speaking for myself and several others ( like ImSoConfused at start of this post) - and saying up front that it has not worked this well for every one for reasons I don't understand - if you use the space blanket(SB), not only will it make the system a lot warmer, but you won't ( or at least I don't) get any condensation.

See, here's the Vapor Barrier (VB) THEORY: Your bods vapor traveled out from your body, went right through the totally breathable pad, hit the COLD outer layer of the UC, condensed as you might expect, and then got your pad wet. Once - but not always - when I did that, I woke up with the foot of my bag and pad soaked.

But if you use a vapor barrier/space blanket, you want it as close to your body as possible. That should keep it warm from your bodies heat. Vapor won't normally condense when it hits a warm surface, but only when it hits a surface which is below the dew point. Like your windshield on a cold day. If you warm your windshield up with a defroster, or the sun warms it up, the condensation pretty much goes away.

Also, you want as little insulation as possible between you and the VB/SB as possible. Because if you overheat and sweat, or the VB is cold and you get condensation, the moisture won't be able to escape and will be absorbed by the insulation.

In my years of using a space blanket immediately under the hammock with the HHSS or inside my Pea Pod, I have never had any significant condensation issues. Only in the HHSS if I did not use a space blanket. My worse case scenario in the HHSS was finding a few drops of moisture at the low point of the sb. But that's me, and several oothers report having no problems. But some folks have reported condensation issues even with the sb, so I guess it is one of those YMMV things.

Glad to see so many people having good luck with the HHSS!
    I was not displeased with the SS performance, that said I am displeased with the SS volume, particularly the volume of the pad. Have you tried other pads? I purchased an 1/8" EVA foam to make an alternative pad from SS pad, thinking the volume would be less. And the the EVA foam may possibly be warmer per thickness (guessing).

Have you tried the UC & SP combo without the pad with a sleeping bag? I think that may be my next experiment. I am unlikely to get out often in the 30* range, and am looking at a lightweight small volume option. Guess I need quilts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast