Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

HH Tarp problem?

Just noticed that my HH Asym tarp tape seems to be coming apart (see photo). This is happening on two different seams in two different parts of the tarp. I just got the HH and tarp early last summer, and have only used the tarp a few times.

Does this look like a problem either in the tarp construction, or should I worry about water getting through because of this?

Is it something I should contact Hennessey about repair / replacement, or is this just a fix-it-yourself with seam sealer or something and don't worry about it sort of thing?

Thanks for your input. I don't have much experience with tarps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Here's a better shot of the other place where it's happening:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd call them about it - they've been pretty good about service recently. Just as a word of caution, they may try to find a way to resolve it without you sending it back. This is generally due to the cost of shipping through Customs and across the border... So don't take it as a "they don't want to help" its just more that they know that expense is there and are trying to save you that cost.
    let us know how it goes too!
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    A little seam sealer should fix it, but should they fix it? If it's more important for them to fix than you putting a little seam sealer on it, then yes. If they agree, you'll be without your hammock for at least a month, maybe three - is it worth it to you?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It looks to me like the sealing tape is coming delaminated. how old is the tarp? This happens as the item wears with age. It may not effect the utility of the tarp. Seam sealer would be a cheap effective fix if that's the problem. If it is a new piece then bring it to their attention. If for no other reason than quality control.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Give them a call. I'm not sure but I think that tape is applied with some amount of heat and "ironed" into place. See what hennessy says but I think you can lay it out on the ironing board and cover with a piece of heat resistant cloth (cotton, etc) and iron it back into place. Just take it easy with the heat setting (synthetics).

I just noticed the seam on my nearly new Expedition is doing the same thing. I'm not a fan of seam tape in the first place and since the tarp is so small I'm not sure why they even bother to have a center seam. I think you could make it from one piece of cloth right off the bolt (the silnylon fly for my explorer UL has no seam and it's bigger).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the input everyone. The tarp is only about a year old and has only been out in the rain maybe 4 or 5 times. So, my worry was quality control as I don't think its so old or heavily used to be a wear issue. And I wasn't sure if seam sealer would address the problem. Since it is happening on two different seams I thought maybe there's a bigger problem that I'd find out about on a trail in the middle of a storm. I'll contact them and see what they say.

Thanks again.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Great service!

I wanted to post an update. Thanks again to those who replied to my original post.

I got in touch with Hennessy Hammocks (Ann answered my email on a Sunday night within hours of me sending it). She got Tom to look at my photos, and after a few days I got my response: he concluded there was a problem with the tarp based on the photos. They offered to replace the tarp for me despite it being a few months out of warranty.

I really enjoyed my interactions with Ann, and found Hennessy as a company to be concerned about the quality of their product and the satisfaction of their customers. I'm looking forward to receive my new tarp soon, and it's on the way to me via FedEX!

That's what I call service...

Awesome that's the kind of stuff that makes everybody happy - except ole Eeyore - seems you can never make him happy...
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    The EXACT same thing happened to my HH Hex tarp as happened to Dr. Chip. I emailed Hennessy last evening and had a few email exchanges with them today. Actually it was Kilsten. The tarp has not been used yet, just set up and is still in warranty.

Their solution for me was to send mine back to them. Seeing the shipping cost people are mentioning, I may just repair it myself.

Cheers,
    Doc

Robby Brown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast