Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hammocking on a frozen lake...

I used to dread wintertime, and I know it's a bit early to start thinking about winter, but when I moved up to Western NY from Oklahoma, lots of folks up here told me that I would soon come to look forward to it. It seems they're predictions have come true.

I'm already dreaming of spending time fishing out on solid water even though it will be several months before I can. However, my new interest in hammocking has me wondering about how I could actually set up and spend the night out on a frozen lake. Has anybody here done this? If so, how? I'm trying to think about different ways to set up.

I'm a pretty minimalist ice angler, so I'm already thinking two aluminum poles through holes in the ice with a circular disk for a stop (keep the poles from slipping all the way through the ice) might be a good way. small holes drilled for the poles would freeze quickly and should make very solid hanging points. My initial concern about doing this is that I have no idea what the angular force on the poles would do to the ice - would hate to split the ice and drop in in the middle of the night!
    Last edited by BlueDaksi; 08-25-2012 at 15:06.

• + New Posts