Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

What to expect with a Traveler...

I have had my sights set on a Traveler for nearly a year now. I want it as a winter hammock; in temps below 50º, I don't need the bugnet, which traps the condensation from my breath, and I wake up damp.

My only experience sleeping in an "open" hammock is in my old Skeeter Beeter, flipped over with the bug net underneath. In fact, I kind of like the open feel of this. I intend to order one next week (after Isaac passes), and I hope to use it on my AT Section hike at the end of September.

So I am looking for any information on the Traveler. What should I expect? How is this different from an upside-down Skeeter Beeter? How will my under quilts fit? Compared to the SB, the Traveler is 6" shorter and 6" wider. I know how comfortable the WBBB is as compared to the SB, but the Blackbird has a footbox and the Traveler does not.

Any accounts of the Traveler is welcome information.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I have a double layer traveler and find it very nice. It's primary advantage over the WBBB is the light weight. The biggest problem I had with it is my feet tend to fall out of it down to my knees. I think it's just my strange sleeping positions, plus I toss and turn a lot. I notice I have this problem with any small gathered end hammock. I've never tried a Skeeter Beeter, but have used other hammocks with the bug net folded below. The biggest problem is simply they weight a lot more than a traveler does.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    I have a sl traveler. Have used it with yeti UQ fits good no fiddling. The foot box of the quilt tends to hang over the side.. a knotty mod can fix that. Otherwise expect comfort :-)

have you looked at the BIAS hammocks yet??
    http://www.buttinasling.com/hammocks.html
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Question The age old question: 1.7 Single or 1.1 Double?

That is the ultimate question to meaning of live, the universe and everything.

But seriously. I am a gram weenie. I weigh 190 lbs (6'1"), and I don't use a pad, only underquilts. Will I find the 1.7 single to be comfortable? The savings of 3 oz is significant for me, as I will be using it during winter when I have my heavier quilts.

Pray tell, your experiences....
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I am 6' and 165 dry weight,,and the 1.7 traveler for me was too short. I never could find a sweet spot period and slept in it for about 3 months inside and out before giving up and going to a 11' snipe hammock of WL. I still have it and have tried it out a couple more times and it just is too uncomfy,,but alot of guys love it and find their sweet spot. I did a knotty mod on the sides for head/foot area to take the slack out of the sides as yepp..the TQ kept working over the side of the foot area every now and then. It is a well built hammock and really lite weight when you swap out the straps for whoopies tho.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am 5'9" and 180 and the single 1.1 works great for me. I use quilts also. In fact I have gone through many hammocks, Hennessys, Blackbird and others. I now have my system dialed in perfect for me with my Traveler. I use it year round. I have a DIY HUG for bug season that weighs 2.7 oz and works great. My traveler with a lighter ridgeline and dynaglide whoopies weighs 7.7 oz.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    That is the ultimate question to meaning of live, the universe and everything.

But seriously. I am a gram weenie. I weigh 190 lbs (6'1"), and I don't use a pad, only underquilts. Will I find the 1.7 single to be comfortable? The savings of 3 oz is significant for me, as I will be using it during winter when I have my heavier quilts.

Pray tell, your experiences....
    What to expect from the traveler is complete awesomeness . However As to your specific question I weight 210 am apx. 6ft and have the 1.7 single and the 1.1 dbl and prefer the 1.1 dbl over the 1.7 single. In both hammocks I find that I have plenty of room and do not feel confined at all. Very roomy and very comfy. The reason I like the 1.1 dbl over the 1.7 single is that I find it to be more comfy due to less stretch. But I think I am bias because I have used several single and dlb hammocks and have always preferred a dbl over single due to less stretch IMHO. But yes the 3oz's does make a big difference when counting grams which is why I have both
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    I love my 1.7 SL Taveler in the winter and I like the stretch, however, when I'm in a Blackbird I don't prefer that. I have a 1.7 SL, a 1.1 DL and a 1.0 DL. Usually always grab the 1.0 DL BB and take the two oz.

My Traveler with dynaglide whoopies is around 11 oz.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Buffalo Skipper would also like to know whether users found the double 1.1 warmer against wind than the single 1.7.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast