Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

hammocks in history

The book "East of the Divide: Travels Through the Eastern Slope of the North Cascades 1870 - 1999" by Chester Marler has a chapter on a Miss Wheeler who did a long trip through the east side North Cascades of Washington state in 1932. She started near Lake Wenatchee (west of Leavenworth) then headed north to what is now the Glacier Peak Wilderness, the PCT, North Cascades National Park, Washington Pass, village of Mazama, then looped around in Pasayten Wilderness. It took here 43 days with her horse. She saw a fair number of people - miners, US Forest Service crews and rangers, shepherds and hikers & packers.

Near what is now Glacier Peak Wilderness she wrote,

"Was tired but relieved to do as well as did...Slept fair, but had to build fire in meadow and hang hammock in timber--heavy dew and everything wet this a.m.

Not too much is known about Ms. Wheeler. The author of this book got his quotes from Wenatchee National Forest archives. I wonder what her hammock back in '32 was like (?).

Does anybody know about hammocks back then or earlier? I saw indigenous Brazilians in the Amazon laying in hammocks on The Travel Channel. They've been using hammocks for a long time. Does anybody know of hammock use in the US back in the 1800s or early 1900s? I imagine the US military used hammocks on missions to tropical areas back in the 1800s and early 1900s. How about on ships? Didn't they use hammocks on ships for long sea voyages?

Images
    there was a good thread started by youngblood just a couple months ago. i believe it was titled "patents". there were dozens of hammock related patents from that era. you can see the drawings if you click on the given links. there were both spreader bar type and end gathered designs. there were some really crazy designs that were patented too.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    We are also having a contest. Visit here
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The use of hammocks on board vessels was commonplace. It was the perfect solution to the unstable nature of life at sea. They were also easy to take down and clear away for more space. I am quite sure any of the maritime museums could provide you with detailed information. I would think Dana's book Two Years Before the Mast might have some mention of the sleeping arrangements but I confess I have never read it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Check out Shane's site.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    Does anybody know about hammocks back then or earlier? I saw indigenous Brazilians in the Amazon laying in hammocks on The Travel Channel. They've been using hammocks for a long time. Does anybody know of hammock use in the US back in the 1800s or early 1900s? I imagine the US military used hammocks on missions to tropical areas back in the 1800s and early 1900s. How about on ships? Didn't they use hammocks on ships for long sea voyages?
    There are manuscripts from Lord Baden Powell (Scouting Founder) that describe hammocks in some detail. Late 1800's I believe.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by txulrich View Post
    There are manuscripts from Lord Baden Powell (Scouting Founder) that describe hammocks in some detail. Late 1800's I believe.

http://meritbadge.net/books/YoungKni...ire/part22.htm

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    This is good stuff.

from the Baden Powell webpage,

Another form of tent which I used in Mafeking and South Africa, and still use for sleeping out in, in England, is one which you would hardly call a tent. It is really a slungcot, with a movable canvas roof to it. It is called the "Ashanti Hammock."
    Wow. And I thought somebody thought of a roof over a hammock recently, like last 30 years or so.

Shane's webpage is excellent. I bumped into that webpage about a year ago when surfing the Web for hammock info..

• + New Posts