Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

slowhike's end covers w/ storage

i just up-loaded pictures of a project i've been playing around w/ for a while.
    it's end covers for the hammock. they provide additional protection from blowing rain as well as providing storage for gear.
    with this system on the hammock, i have multiple storage lofts in place when i hang my hammock. only one extra line to tie to the tree at the head end.
    but for those who use more sag in their hammock & have a permanent ridge line, they would not even have that extra line to attach. but the tension may still need to be adjusted between the two points where the end covers attach to the ridge line to get things tight.
    i feel much better about this prototype than previous tries, but it's still a prototype. i plan to make another soon that will be yet cleaner & simpler, but it will basically have the same features as this one.
    i'll post weights later, but i'm thinking not much more than 10 ozs for both end covers w/ attachments. also w/ this system, a shorter tarp could be used... that would help off set the small weight gain.
    and i plan to use the end cover at the foot end as the storage bag. when i make another, i will add a draw string around the mouth.
    next i will make a sock that will be attached & stored in the foot end when not used.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tim, you're one of the most innovative guys I know. That's a great project.

Why the change from the last model that looked like a pod without the top? Seems like for an ounce or two more you could have wind protection underneath too.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i had the bottom (DWR) sewn in before because i had intended to sew the top half in as well w/ a zipper. it just got to complicated to finish because of the way i had started that version.
    that still wouldn't be a bad way to do a winter version especially, because if every thing is taught (like the body of a double wall tent) there would be no real place for snow drifts to accumulate.
    i do have a much simpler method in mind of doing that now. imagine laying a sheet over the ridge line & hammock, then you could see & mark where to cut & sew the bottom below the hammock.
    but on the version i had at rogers, i had problems getting & keeping the center part tight.
    also i didn't have the bottom of the pack storage area right so the pack kept falling to the center.
    the covers in the pictures are the same ones in used at rogers, but they have been modified.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'm with Jeff...I'm just constantly amazed at the cool stuff you come up with, man!

My own storage system is currently in the works too. It's not nearly as cool, but it should be done in the next day or two.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's a sweet system you got there. I have been trying to come up with some sort of ridge line system for storing small pieces of gear, something like what is in a HH only a little larger.

Great work.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm really liking having a place to put everything... empty pack, clothes, water, even small stuff.
    although this one is working fine, i may make a couple more using what i've learned to make them neater looking, more compact, & lighter.
    i'll probably make a winter version that's fully enclosed w/ zipper, & a summer version that's a lot like the one in the pictures but more streamline.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    Hey slowhike,
    I was checking out the pics you had up prior to reading this thread and was thinking what a great idea for storage!
    In terms of headchange's idea for replacing an interior storage system on a HH, try using a small version of JJgearhammock (narrower works better) attached to the ridgeline with prusik's or klemheist's. Pulled taught with moderate weight (nalgene, headlamp couple of clothing items etc) it stays pretty close to the ridgeline and can easiy be moved to the foot end if sag becomes a problem. You do need a pretty tight HH to begin with though, I have tried it on a loosely tied HH and it was about 6 inches from my legs, not much if you aren't clausterphobic IMO. It works well as a shoe bag if you wanna keep them inside to prevent freezing.

Keep up the good work, I just broke my singer and replaced it (free!!) with a 51 Necchi ready to go! I can't wait, tarp beak is the next diy project, I believe it is again from Slowhike's creative mind

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    thanks DK. yep, you probably noticed that i had storage weight in mind when i came up w/ that system.
    the mini loft is intended for very little weight, but it's "held open" design makes it very user friendly.
    the storage that lays on the other-wise un-used areas at each end of the hammock can hold considerable weight w/ no brob.
    the storage areas below can hold a fair amount too. the one at the head end is supported by the trekking pole laying on the hammock. but the lower storage at the foot end is supported by the ridge line, but not far from it's attachment to the hammock support, so it's plenty strong too.
    keep that new mach singing<g>. ...tim

Images
    Pretty cool idea.

Question on the tarp end. Have you done a lot of testing with the smaller tarp?

Just by looking at the pics I think that your idea would do a really good job on the ends and let you use a smaller tarp. I'm just curious if there were other things that came up. The only thing I can think of is a smaller lounging space in the rain.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Pretty cool idea.

Question on the tarp end. Have you done a lot of testing with the smaller tarp?

Just by looking at the pics I think that your idea would do a really good job on the ends and let you use a smaller tarp. I'm just curious if there were other things that came up. The only thing I can think of is a smaller lounging space in the rain.
    if you mean by "curious if there were other things that came up" referring to my still using the same 12' tarp, no, i just haven't gotten around to a smaller tarp yet.
    i just have got the end covers to preform the way i wanted them to, so next will be a smaller tarp.
    but when i say smaller, i'm thinking shorter, but still either a rectangle or a mac-cat style.
    i still like the extra protection there when i need it for cooking, wind protection, etc, as opposed to the diamond shape.
    i'll soon either make another tarp, or cut down the one i've been using.
    i also plan to make a couple more variations on the end covers, including one fully enclosed w/ zippers.
    after working w/ the first ones for a while, i have figured out things that will help make the next ones easier to make & neater.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast