Advice on making a Travel Hammock clone

So, I've decided to try and replicate my beloved Travel Hammock, but make it about 50% smaller overall, both in size and weight.

The design does not look very complicated, basically a cust piece of nylon fabric, triple stitched on the hanging ends, single stitched on the long edges.

I should run some sort of rope through the seam at the hanging ends, kind of "bunch" it up, then then a fix a hook or lightweight 'biner.

I'm 5' 10" and 155lbs, and this is for my personal use. I'd use it mainly for dayhikes, and want to keep it small so I can always take it with me.

I plan to have someone else sew the body, and I'll do the ropes and rigging.

So, some questions...

1. Would 1.1 oz/sq yd of ripstop nylon work? for my weight and size?
    2. Is there a diameter and type of rope one could suggest for the seam at the hanging ends?
    3. Will a triple stitch be adequate? (it appears adequate on my travel hammock)
    4. Biners or hooks at the ends? want to keep it super simple here
    5. What about overall size of the fabric? Any hints? I think I could cut it about 20-30% smaller than my travel hammock.
    6. What kind of thered should be used for the stiches?
    7. Am I missing anything?

The steps I'd envision are:

- cut the fabric to size, have a seamstress sew the ends and long sides.
    - affix the rope through the ends, bunch it up, tie it off, add hooks or biners
    - buy some hanging rope (tree huggers)
    Last edited by rstanek; 09-15-2008 at 20:33.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    What model travel hammock? The ultralight is about 12oz.

But yeah, you have the right steps.

1. Would 1.1 oz/sq yd of ripstop nylon work? for my weight and size? I stopped using 1.1 because one small tear and down you go.
    2. Is there a diameter and type of rope one could suggest for the seam at the hanging ends? I use 3mm
    3. Will a triple stitch be adequate? (it appears adequate on my travel hammock) Yes
    4. Biners or hooks at the ends? want to keep it super simple here- Biners
    5. What about overall size of the fabric? Any hints? I think I could cut it about 20-30% smaller than my travel hammock. - measure the hammock and remove some size from the width.
    6. Am I missing anyhting?- looks good
    Last edited by Iafte; 09-15-2008 at 20:38. Reason: Answered questions
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    What kind of use are you looking for? It might be a mistake to cut down the size to that degree if you want to sleep in it. I tried sleeping in a skeeter beeter one night and felt it was quite small to start with. If you just want it to use for lounging or a chair type setup it mught be a totally different issue.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What's the benefit of the triple-stitched pieces? Why not just one piece of nylon...you can get it up to ~65" wide.

I've used 1.1 oz at 185 lbs. The kind I had stretched quite a bit but it held up...the stretching made it uncomfortable at the shoulders. Other kinds of 1.1 oz ripstop nylon don't stretch like that.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    What's the benefit of the triple-stitched pieces? Why not just one piece of nylon...you can get it up to ~65" wide.
    I think the OP (Rstanek) meant the self-fabric sleeves at the ends of the hammock where one inserts the rope to gather the ends up.

maybe?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - re-reading it, I think you're right. I still ask what's the benefit of the sleeve at the end vs whipping it, though.

Like this: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html

Hey rstanek- did you ever make your project?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Unfortunately, not yet. Job, travel, etc. has reared it's ugly head.

I need to carve out the item to vist Wally World to make the fabric purchase, and before that, to decide on the size I want. Still a little nervous since I'm just not a DIY knid of guy for febric/sewing projects.

Want to try and determine the overall sheet size on my travel hammock, and perhaps cull down by 75%.

I'm open for sizing suggestions form experts like you. This will not be a sleeping hammock, but just a lounging around piece for ultra-light day hikes.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images

My two cents...

rstanek, first it may still be helpful to know what model Travel hammock you have, but I will give my info based more on the idea this will not be a full time sleeper for you.

I have a Travel hammock ultralight that has the actual finished dimensions of 54"x102" & I like it (I'm 5'8"). Personally I feel it could be narrower, but not a lot shorter (to maintain any real comfort). How much narrower is a question I'm not sure of, but 46"-48" sounds plenty safe ( I think I read the Claytor is 48"). So my idea for you would be a hammock body with the finished size of approx 46"x102" (or an unhemmed fabric size of 48"x108"). Now 48x108=5184" 5184/1296= 4sq yards of fabric. In my mind this gives you 3 choices...

A single body 1.1 @ 4.4ozs
    A double body 1.1 @ 8.8ozs
    Or a single body 1.9 @ 7.6ozs

This brings me to some questions you will need to work through yourself. Will this be used as a lounger only & never used for overnight? Will 155# be the heaviest person that will ever be in the hammock? How gentle are you with your gear. IMHO if you will never use this as a sleeper, never gain weight, & really take super care of your gear, maybe a single 1.1 is the way to go. Otherwise try one of the other options !

My vote, a double 1.1 will give the very best of everything you are looking for. No worries of failure, the option to introduce a friend to hammocking, can be used for an all night sleeper, & a little added insurance for that briar you didn't see. Also if you leave a small area open on the side you have a pad pocket! All for less than a 5oz penalty.

Now the suspension... Once again IMO follow Just Jeff's advice & whip it. I sewed the channels on a Travel clone I made & now question why almost every time I use it. Whipping seems better, stronger, & safer. Think about it, the triple stitches on the channel are basically three rows of perforations to the fabric body that are put under stress! With whipping the hem is on a waste side of the hammock body & not weight stressed. My Travel UL has the holes beginning to get larger at the channel, & I feel sure will drop me one day. As for the hooks or carabiner I say whatever you are using now if you're happy with it. If not try one of the other tons of ideas found here. Finally a good strong cord like Spyderline should work fine. Sew it all together with a minimum Tex 40 polyester thread & enjoy.

Wow, I didn't know I could be this long winded. Sorry . Hope something I've said will help & good luck.
    Last edited by jeffjenn; 10-06-2008 at 13:51.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would start with fabric width (probably ~60") and ~9' long. Then start trimming down from there until you get it where you like it. Wider makes it easier to get flat on the diagonal if you put in a lot of sag. Narrower makes it lighter and gets rid of the flappy walls that can happen with the wide ones. I made one 48"...it's ok for me, but not optimal. I think 52" might be a good choice for me...but it's completely different for everybody. That's why I say start big and trim it down.

Then again, the fabric is only $1/yd and I guarantee you'll make more than one. Make a few of different lengths and widths, try different levels of sag, and you'll find your favorite pretty quickly.

That was superb feedback, thanks to both of you.

I'm modeling this after the Ultralight Traveler Hammock, which weighs in at at a solid 16ozs in the stuff sack with the included ropes and hooks. It's a super piece of gear, but I'm striving for about half.

Half the overall size stuffed, and half the overall weight.

I'm fairly light, and am very good to my gear, so this is intended to be just for me.

It seems if Use the auggested dimensions, and 1.1oz fabric, I should probably end up at around 5-6ozs with stitching and end ropes. Then I just have to add 'biners and the tree saver rope, and I'm done.

• + New Posts