Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Too bad but at least they aren't complaining about being outside!
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Toss the family in the big nylon prison cell and you chill in your hammock. I'm still looking for a down side to this equation??

So in the morning the "old man" will be lounging in the hammock eating breakfast. Then the rest of the family comes crawling out of the tent popping handfuls of ibuprofen to nurse their achy backs.
    Haha haha totally true. Then how lame is it to hang

Quote Originally Posted by Davigilante View Post
    Too bad but at least they aren't complaining about being outside!
    This is also very true!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I suspect this is just a petty revolt against the paterfamilias.
    Pete, the personal rancor reflected in that remark I don't intend to dignify with an answer...

I feel ya. Nothing worse than dealing with Philistines, and it's even worse when they share a roof. I don't know if the Missus will ever camp with a hammock, but I'm glad that she likes getting out there. For that reason I gladly spend much of my trip setting up and tearing down the family circus-tent. My boys are cub scout age, and require help setting up their tarps, but can manage their hammocks with a bit of supervision--then I get to set my gear up. I have 6 8/9ths kids, and they all want hammocks (which they'll get as I gradually find the materials on the cheap), but I would gladly set them all up and tear them all down so long as they are happy getting out there; I'd even do the same thing for one man tents.

It's just great to have them out there (even if the Sierra National Forest will never be the same after I've unleashed them on poor Mother Nature ).
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Nothing to add that's constructive, just wanted to thank you for conjuring up the image of a cow on the roof of a cotton house. Now I've got quotes bouncing all around inside my skull.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Your first mistake was to tell them how comfortable hammocks are. You should have told them that tents are comfortable and then set up your hammock next to their tent. Then, they would all be complaining about their tents and asking why couldn't they sleep in a hammock, too. (I raised 6 kids - can't you tell?)
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images

hammock

I cannot believe what I am hearing from my family. We have an upcoming overnight camping trip and the troops are revolting against hammocks.

My wife has never even slept in a hammock, so of course she is opposed to the concept.

My 20-year-old-son recently observed, after three nights in the Adirondacks sleeping in a hammock, that hammocks suck and they make his back hurt. His word is influential.

Of course, my 13-year-old son pitched in that he thought hammocks suck, they make his back hurt too.

What baffles me is that both sons could regularly sleep 10 hours in a hammock without stirring.

I suspect this is just a petty revolt against the paterfamilias. I have in no way imposed my hammock beliefs upon others - rather, I tried to share my passion for the gains in comfort.

If my family wants to go to ground, they won't have any support from me. Investigate ground-dwelling ways on your own.
    I try not to complain when other people insist they can't sleep in a hammock. It makes finding the right trees for my hammock so much easier!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I can't any more get worked up over someone choosing a tent than I can someone choosing a bridge over a gathered end. Gringo the honey badger.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    I suspect this is just a petty revolt against the paterfamilias. I have in no way imposed my hammock beliefs upon others - rather, I tried to share my passion for the gains in comfort.

If my family wants to go to ground, they won't have any support from me. Investigate ground-dwelling ways on your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Pete, the personal rancor reflected in that remark I don't intend to dignify with an answer...

As a MS dweller, you guys have been killing me with the Oh Brother quotes!

But I do agree it is at least partly a revolt against Paterfamilia. My oldest (11) Grandson finally slept in my WBBB a year or so back. But he joined Mom and dfad in the RV after a couple of hours said he was cold on top) Now he always takes his tent. I heard him telling his buddy, as they set up the tent on the last Sipsey trip ( with his Dad in said WBBB and me in my JRB BMBH) how hammocks bent you into a curve like a banana and were not comfy. IOW, hammocks suck.

I don't care. But I have spare hammocks ready for him when he comes to his senses! Of corse, if he keeps going sooner or later he is going to have to set up in and sleep in the rain! )

Hammock
    DangerBird72 /W.L. Light owl
    Tarp
    4S Cuben/WL OMW
    Insulation
    Fronkey made20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whooooopie...
    Glad they are going along. I would ask them to try and be quiet in the morning so they don't wake you up!
    "When you get to the end of your rope,tie a knot and Hang On."- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Well, there are all manner of lesser imps and demons, Pete, but the great Satan hisself is red and scaly with a bifurcated tail, and he carries a hay fork and sleeps in a tent.

Yes, my family has turned into a bunch of Judas Iscariot Hogwallops.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast