Help with temperature ratings

Hiya, I'm planning a winter AT section hike starting around November in VA, going South. I'm just trying to get temperatures figured out for my hammock, and hoping you guys could help prevent a chilly night (I haven't tried hammock camping before!).

I'm thinking of using these for weather protection (this is what I have so far):
    * 3-layer Insultex 3/4 length DIY under quilt (thanks sclittlefield!)
    * 1/2" full length closed cell pad
    * Mountain Hardware 10degF sleeping bag for top quilt
    * 12'x12' Gear Guide tarp (I know the proper A-Frame configuration, but are there any others that are important?)
    * And lots of clothing for backup

I'm hoping this will get me down to 0-10degF, as that's the worst I should possibly encounter (temperature averages are in the high 20s for these states I believe).

Will those alone hold me? Around what temperature will this take me to? I'm thinking of adding something else, and these are the options floating around in my head, but I don't know if anything extra is necessary:

* I could construct a hammock sock, which you guys have said will add about 10degF.
    * Reflectix and Space Blankets are arguably useless, I've read in a few threads, so I will avoid those.
    * I also have some down pillows I purchased a while ago that could be crafted into a pea pod. This will take a good chunk of time, however, and I hope that I wont need to do this. But I will if what I have isn't strong enough, because I know they're comfy.
    * An extra or thicker pad could be used, but again I have no idea of temperature ratings for CCF pads.
    * Some kind of double hammock? I'm very unfamiliar with these, but have seen them pop up here and there in various threads.

Any advise or comments welcome!

Bump for help and such. I know we all sleep at different temperatures, but I'm not even sure what ballpark I'm in with this setup right now.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    I think the 10deg F sleeping bag top quilt will be good to go but I am not sure about underneath you.

* 3-layer Insultex 3/4 length DIY under quilt

I just don't consider insultex as a true replacement for the synthetics or down; especially at sub freezing temperatures.

If it were me, I would make or buy a syn UQ or down UQ.

good luck
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    one cheap alternative is a wool blanket underneath you

But heavy and bulky....

And may not be good enough for 0 to 10 deg F.
    Love my JRB BMB

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I think the 10deg F sleeping bag top quilt will be good to go but I am not sure about underneath you.

* 3-layer Insultex 3/4 length DIY under quilt

I just don't consider insultex as a true replacement for the synthetics or down; especially at sub freezing temperatures.

If it were me, I would make or buy a syn UQ or down UQ.

good luck
    I'm thinking this too. I might try to pull a few dozen hours out of my hat and make a down under quilt, since I already have the down for it. There's a good guide for one around here somewhere *wanders off flipping over rocks*

Any other opinions out there?

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    A Baby Orca 3/4 length IX underquilt + DIY Reflectix shell, coupled with a 24* rated Coleman bag as top quilt got me down to 24* last Dec. in Oklahoma. I may have stuffed some extra clothing between the underquilt and the shell.

I don't remember what clothing I also had on, but nothing fancy, with a base layer, wool socks, maybe a fleece vest, balaclava, and beenie.

This combination was fine on this occasion, but though I was comfortable enough, I'm thinking I was near the edge.

I can't imagine that your IX underquilt coupled with the CCF pad wouldn't get you even lower than I got.
    ol' daddy

Quote Originally Posted by ol' daddy View Post
    A Baby Orca 3/4 length IX underquilt + DIY Reflectix shell, coupled with a 24* rated Coleman bag as top quilt got me down to 24* last Dec. in Oklahoma. I may have stuffed some extra clothing between the underquilt and the shell.

I don't remember what clothing I also had on, but nothing fancy, with a base layer, wool socks, maybe a fleece vest, balaclava, and beenie.

This combination was fine on this occasion, but though I was comfortable enough, I'm thinking I was near the edge.

I can't imagine that your IX underquilt coupled with the CCF pad wouldn't get you even lower than I got.
    Interesting! ~20-30degF is the nightly temperatures that I'm going to be expecting. Eventually it will drop down to 10degF, and a very bad weather system could potentially drop it down to 0degF.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    In an emergency, going to ground might be the solution since you have a pad already. plus you can add tree boughs or debris between the ground and your pad.

You don't have the convective heat losses [wind] and the ground temp might be higher than the ambient.

I know in the winter sleeping on the snow with a pad of ~ R5 works well but using only the pad in my hammock is no where near enough.

Not sure but something to remember if you are pushing the envelope.
    Love my JRB BMB

• + New Posts