Images

Shifting down between baffles

Just a thought... With a traditional straight baffle quilt, it seems like you could save on tedious weighing of down for each individual chamber by not securing the ends of each chamber. Seems like then you could work down out of overfilled chambers and into under filled ones. Has anyone tried this? Is it a terrible idea?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I vote for the tedious weighing of down for each chamber. A quilt is a major project. I wouldn't shortcut a very important step like that. It may all even out eventually. But I would be afraid of cold spots and wouldn't want to have to spend time shifting down while I'm shivering by my hammock.

If you want truly shiftable down quilt, make a Karo Step quilt. I prefer these for warmer weather quilts where you may want to shift some down off of you. Plus, I wouldn't take a Karo quilt into frigid weather. For those conditions, I want a regular quilt that I know is going to keep the down distributed.

But this is just my opinion. I'm sure it would work to some degree. I just think there are better ways to do it.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Ok - I have a quick question about shifting down -- using Fronkeys great no mess way of adding down to the baffles - do you shake the quilt to get the down from top to bottom of the baffle, poke it with a stick or ? Do you fill all the baffles then shake it down or do it one at a time?

Sorry, Mundele - I'm not trying to hijack your thread.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Images
    Fronkeys method requires that the down is in nice measured packets. Mine is in pillows

I'm halfway through sewing baffles to the inner shell. It's surprisingly easy.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Weigh it out, invest in a $15 digital kitchen scale with grams and a five gallon bucket.... Weigh out the needed down into bucket then place in baffle with your method of choice.. You'll be happier in the end, not sure how you'd get a consistent distribution of down in the quilt with any other method than to weigh each chamber out...

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Images
    My question wasn't a way to avoid measuring. My question was, is it silly to try to be so precise on each chamber when you could leave them open a tiny amount on the edges to let you redistribute it. (think modified Karo. Call it Karo Tube not Karo Step). I was curious if anyone had tried it.

--Matt

• + New Posts