Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I've always understood that "locked brummels" are there to hold the loop together, only when no load is applied. It just keeps them from falling apart when they are thrown loosely into your storage bin at home, etc.

The bury provides the strength for a loaded situation. If you skimp on the bury, you are skimping on the strength of the suspension.

I have completely abandoned locked brummels in favor a sewing a few hand stitches into the bury.
    I still do locked brummels, but I always sew 4 to 5 hand stitches just to be sure.

Hammock
    Dirty Bridge / Weasel / Eno Dbl
    Tarp
    Alot
    Insulation
    HG Gear / DIY
    Suspension
    A lot of them
    My burys are always at least 6 inches never had one slip
    Geektar
    Fulltimers Group

Hammock
    Night Owl - WL
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator & XXL
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    I am new to the forum but thought I might share what I found when making my slings. If you look on the Sampson website http://www.samsonrope.com/splicing-instructions.cfm
    the designed bury should be 2 &1/4 fid lengths for Amsteel (12 strand) and 1 fid for Tenex (12 strand) on the locked brummel. A fid is 21 times the diameter of the rope. I have made several from 7/64 up to 1/4 Amsteel and all have held with no slippage.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Glad you weren't injured, but yeah I use a 4 inch bury in all but the first set of whoopies I've made. The first I did a 6 inch bury, and sat down very carefully because I thought there was no way such a thin line could hold me.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    shows you how "slippery" amsteel is, my understanding is that most of a locked brummels strength is supposed to come from the lock.
    This is not correct. The bury is intended to do all of the work and the lock is only there to prevent the bury from backing out under no load situations. This situation illustrates why the lock has little strength. A few stitches can be substituted for the locked brummel and the strength will be the same. Again, the stitches do not add strength, but keep the bury from slipping out when there is no load,

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    The strength of the fixed loop comes from the bury. The lockes brummel can provide a little strength but the constriction around the bury is what is needed. The primary reason for the locked brummel is to prevent the bury from coming out when the loop is not loaded. You can make a fixed loop without the locked brummel that holds just fine. People do this and then run a few stitches through the bury to prevent it from coming out when not loaded.

Manufacturer's recommendations for the fixed loop bury is somewhere around 6 inches, I can't remember exactly with 2 inches of that being a taper. I have made them shorter but I'd never go less than 4.5 inches. Not surprised that 1 inch did not hold. Glad you did not get hurt.
    Actually, the brummel does provide strength. In fact, if you can keep the braid from unraveling, the brummel will support roughly 3/4 of the rating of the line.

A proper locked brummel splice requires 1 less fid length of bury than a normal stitched splice, which uses 3 fids.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    This is not correct. The bury is intended to do all of the work and the lock is only there to prevent the bury from backing out under no load situations. This situation illustrates why the lock has little strength. A few stitches can be substituted for the locked brummel and the strength will be the same. Again, the stitches do not add strength, but keep the bury from slipping out when there is no load,
    The lock does provide strength, but due to how its constructed the braid needs to be secured from unraveling. A 1" bury is not enough constriction on the braid to keep it from unraveling.

One can test this buy inserting a knitting needle into the braid of the line say 1" from the end, and trying to pull the needle lengthwise down to the end of the line. It should pull out easily. Now insert the needle say 6" up from the end, and do the same thing. The braid itself is just as strong as the line, if you can keep it together. The splice aids the lock by not just normal constriction, but by keeping the braid from separating.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Actually, the brummel does provide strength. In fact, if you can keep the braid from unraveling, the brummel will support roughly 3/4 of the rating of the line.

A proper locked brummel splice requires 1 less fid length of bury than a normal stitched splice, which uses 3 fids.
    Thanks Opie, it's good to hear some positive news on using locked brummels. I have them on my continuous loops, whoopie slings and my detachable RL.

When you say that the lock will support 3/4 of the rating of the line, does that mean that the line will snap at the lock? Or that the splice will open at 3/4 of the rating? How does that compare to a straight brummel splice, does that achieve the full line rating?

Thanks

Mark

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Stevebo: I received my Amsteel from Dutch today. Because of your post I made sure that when I made the locked brummel for my Woopie slings I buried at least 6" of tail.

Sorry that you took a fall, but I'm sure your advice is saving us from falls.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Glad to be of service! (I was thinking of a second career as a crash test dummy---I seem to have a knack for it! )
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast